Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-16-2012, 07:52 PM   #1
kaimon
Registered Users
seller

Do your kids have this many toys?! Pic Heavy!

I did a major clean/organize of the kids' room today. I put A LOT of toys in the basement, but I still feel like there's so much! They are 2.5 and 4.5 and share a rather large bedroom. I love their room but man they have a lot of stuff! (Most of it was gifts)

This is their room. The twin bed is DS' (2.5). His cover is in the wash. On his nightstand is his rocketship and in the shelf is all the board books. In the silver thing there's: little people house, construction play set, mega blocks, musical instruments, Dr kit, wooden train set, little people farm, animals, trucks and cars. Oh an on top is the play doh.

The toy box at the bottom of the bed contains stuffed animals and balls mainly.

Across from that dresser there's more little people stuff. Garage, Castle and misc little people pieces in the boxes. On top of the book case is DD's mini lalaloopsy set. Beside the bookcase is the kitchen.

And then beside the kitchen is drawers full of play dishes and food.

Continued in next post...

Advertisement

Old 08-16-2012, 07:53 PM   #2
kaimon
Registered Users
seller

Re: Do your kids have this many toys?! Pic Heavy!

Above all that is shelves with 'special' toys and with board games and puzzles

On top of DD's dresser she has a basket for hair combs, clips, elastics and her hello kitty collection.

In the other corner is the dress up stuff, my little pony, full size lalaloopsies and other dolls + their accessories.

Under DD's bed is a doll stroller and a pop up princess castle. Under DS' bed there's an ikea tunnel.

You should see all the stuff we have stored in the basement! How is it they have SO MUCH STUFF?! I don't know what else to get rid of or how else to better organize it! We currently have an easel in a really akward place in the living room because there's no room for it in the bedroom. The art stuff is in the living room too.

Last edited by kaimon; 08-16-2012 at 07:56 PM.
kaimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:55 PM   #3
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Mrs_Brady
seller
seller

yep, my kids have that many LOL
Old 08-16-2012, 07:57 PM   #4
kaimon
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5PrincessMommy View Post
yep, my kids have that many LOL
LOL! Well at least I'm not alone!!
Old 08-16-2012, 08:19 PM   #5
Leanbh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yes, ours are more split up but I did get rid of TONS in the last 2 years.

Their rooms have just a few toys - mainly books, then lego for the older guys, one small basket of star war guys/pokemon, odd toy here and there, soccer trophy's etc take up a shelf. Toddler has a bookshelf with books, one large toy basket and some stuffed animals. Then a wooden toy box, which is not really full and mainly baby items for LO when he reaches age 1 ish.

Basement used to be full of toys, we got rid of tons and have one plastic bin type shelf with toys, one big basket of toys, one big basket/chest of dress up clothes, then an armoir (sp?) that has all the games puzzles etc locked up as toddler will take them all down and make a huge mess!

Family room has the ikea 4 space expedit of toys and now some baby toys, incrediblock, wooden cube play thingy and another basket of infant toys.

Basement and family room can get a bit crazy and need to be weeded back regularly......like now, lol!!

Did anyone see the cover of Martha Stewart Living magazine this month? Has her grandbabies bedroom on it and it's just full of all wooden toys on shelves, so pretty and colorful. We have lots of wooden toys, I'd love to do a similar set up. I think the wooden toys make it look so much nicer.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:25 PM   #6
kaimon
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leanbh View Post
Yes, ours are more split up but I did get rid of TONS in the last 2 years.

Their rooms have just a few toys - mainly books, then lego for the older guys, one small basket of star war guys/pokemon, odd toy here and there, soccer trophy's etc take up a shelf. Toddler has a bookshelf with books, one large toy basket and some stuffed animals. Then a wooden toy box, which is not really full and mainly baby items for LO when he reaches age 1 ish.

Basement used to be full of toys, we got rid of tons and have one plastic bin type shelf with toys, one big basket of toys, one big basket/chest of dress up clothes, then an armoir (sp?) that has all the games puzzles etc locked up as toddler will take them all down and make a huge mess!

Family room has the ikea 4 space expedit of toys and now some baby toys, incrediblock, wooden cube play thingy and another basket of infant toys.

Basement and family room can get a bit crazy and need to be weeded back regularly......like now, lol!!

Did anyone see the cover of Martha Stewart Living magazine this month? Has her grandbabies bedroom on it and it's just full of all wooden toys on shelves, so pretty and colorful. We have lots of wooden toys, I'd love to do a similar set up. I think the wooden toys make it look so much nicer.
I like that neat and clean look too, but at the same time I like that my kids have access to everything (except play doh and art supplies) themselves. Yes it usually means a HUGE mess in the middle, but I like that they have the freedom to mix games and play things. At the same time though, We have to keep on top of it. They play more and longer when everything is organized. If the room is a mess they are less interested and just want to watch TV.

I don't like having stuff in the living room though. I prefer it to be together in the bedroom. Ideally we'd have a playroom and a bedroom but we don't have room for that yet. I went to sleep last night dreaming of major reonvations that completely redid the basement to be finished with a guest room a play room and a storage room. lol

Last edited by kaimon; 08-16-2012 at 08:27 PM.
kaimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:25 PM   #7
*KaiMom*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It doesn't look too bad. Very managable. Do they play with everything? I'm getting of stuff now that my kids don't play with...that to me is a better idea if they have too many.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:28 PM   #8
kaimon
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by *KaiMom* View Post
It doesn't look too bad. Very managable. Do they play with everything? I'm getting of stuff now that my kids don't play with...that to me is a better idea if they have too many.
For the most part. Today I put a bunch of stuff downstairs that I don't think they play with anymore. We'll see if it gets asked for. The little people stuff is being played with less but I don't think it's time to let it go just yet. Soon though! And once that stuff is gone I will free up a lot of space! Mind you by then it will be after Christmas and we'll have truckloads of gifts from family to put in there...
Old 08-16-2012, 08:38 PM   #9
solarbabies
Registered Users
Formerly: ja***nes
seller

My Mood:

I think you did great! you have a bunch of bigger things which always feels more cluttered IMO but I don't think it is too much at all if they actually play with it all! Most is all open ended play which is what I am trying to do. How do they like the little people stuff? How do YOU like it? We are thinking about starting a small collection for DD (2.5 at Christmas) but I don't want to deal with them if they don't get love, kwim?

Last edited by solarbabies; 08-16-2012 at 08:40 PM.
solarbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:49 PM   #10
kaimon
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarbabies View Post
I think you did great! you have a bunch of bigger things which always feels more cluttered IMO but I don't think it is too much at all if they actually play with it all! Most is all open ended play which is what I am trying to do. How do they like the little people stuff? How do YOU like it? We are thinking about starting a small collection for DD (2.5 at Christmas) but I don't want to deal with them if they don't get love, kwim?
The little people stuff is great! We got most of it for free from a friend. Bought the garage for his first birthday and the farm (used) for his second. It's gotten lots of play. My son LOVES the farm, especially the horses. He uses the garage with all his cars now, not just the ones that came with it.