Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 08-19-2012, 06:47 PM   #11
Registered Users
I have a Vitamix and I love it! I use it everyday! I do still use my food processor.... a lot. I like the size of the food processor's bowl. It allows me to make pizza crust and it's easier to get food out of (like hummus or tapenade).

Cindy - wife Chevy (8-14-05) and SAHM to Helena (11-22-06) and Penelope (5-1-09)

Earn free stuff with
cinnyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:51 PM   #12
Registered Users
Yes. I LOVE it. We make fruit smoothies daily. It's also great for doing shakes, salsa, sauces (like pesto, hummus), purees, etc. Before the Vitamix we were going through so many blenders, they just never held up. But we've had the Vitamix for years and it's as great as ever. I don't use my food processor anymore really. For pie crust it's nice, but really I'm not making pie crust that often

Last edited by hibiscus869; 08-19-2012 at 08:52 PM.
hibiscus869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:11 PM   #13
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Anyone have a vitamix?

LOVE it.
Use it daily.
I make green smoothies, chop nuts and veggies, grind flour and all sorts of other stuff in it. I absolutely it.
I'm Jennifer ing, BWing Semi-Crunchy vegetarian wife to DH Jimmy SAHM to DD Sammy 08 & DS JoJo 11. HERE IS MY ISO/IHA
Leocaligirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:38 PM   #14
Registered Users
My Mood:

My mom & grandma both have a Vitamix & I would sell my left boob for one. Totally not in our budget any other way unfortunately.

I think you would still need a food processor, depending on what you use your food processor for. Mine has the specialty blade for shredding stuff, so I use it to make coleslaw. I also use it for pie crust. I use my mini one for single smoothies & such, but the Vitamix would be far better.

In my opinion though the absolute best thing about the Vitamix is that it can BOIL SOUP. Throw in some veggies & some liquid, turn it on, and walk away for like 8 minutes, & come back to HOT SOUP. Makes a great cream of spinach... Mmmm... Dang. Now I'm craving cream of spinach soup again...
Jessica - Wife to Rickey & SAHMama to Kahlan (3/29/08) & Elliott (3/29/11)
No, those birthday's aren't a typo either.
My eBay seller feedback & Etsy shop feedback
My ISO/IHA thread
jjgammon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:42 PM   #15
Registered Users
I have a Blendtec and love it. If you plan to keep your blender out, the Blendtec is nice because it fits under cabinets. It is slightly cheaper I think, last time they were running a show at Costco it was 359 or 379. I haven't ever used a food processor so I obviously don't miss it. I don't like cleaning machines like a food processor when I can just chop something myself. Haha. But both blenders clean up really easy.
MarieSeeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:48 PM   #16
Registered Users

I also have a blendtec and it is amazing. We don't have a lot of money so we used some money I got for Christmas/Hanukkah and it was so worth it. We couldn't decide between the blendtec and viatmix but after a lot of research we decided on the blendtec. My DH was a chef at whole foods at the time and they got discounts for a vitamix and we still chose the blendtec over the vitamix. We are very happy with the decision.

You can look up videos on youtube that compare the two. Blendtec is used by Starbucks, Tropical Smoothie Cafe, and Jamba Juice too. They are cheaper than the vitamix and a little nicer looking. Smaller in scale so they fit better in the kitchen and have a blade that is safe to touch (when OFF ONLY) and won't cut you while washing.

We use it to make baby food, smoothies, whole fruit juice, hummus, tortillas, ice cream, soup, etc. It gets used several times a week. We also just lent it to a friend who has a daughter that gets fed through a feeding tube because he couldn't find a blender that made things fine and smooth enough for her. He loved it and is getting one too.
aflyingbuttress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:24 AM   #17
Registered Users
My Mood:

We also have a blendtec and it's used daily for morning smoothies. Also use it weekly for hummus, soups, desserts, coffee drinks..... I'm very glad we spent the $$ ($325) for it.
Wife to Chris and WOHM:to Timothy (5-11-04) and Lauren (9-12-08)
maieranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:26 PM   #18
Registered Users
Originally Posted by blathnat
Thanks everyone... for those that love it, do you still find that you need a food processor?
Yes. Food processor for pie crust, homemade gyro meat, hummus. Vitamix for smoothies, soups (I don't have an immersion blender).
Amelia, married to Bear since 12/31/04; our daughter Rowan was born 8/6/09; our daughter Sapphira was born 8/17/12; due with DD3 6/17/15 (but after one two weeks late and one three weeks early, I'm not expecting a due-date baby!)
tesslouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:42 PM   #19
Registered Users
My Mood:

I have a Cuisinart and a Vitamix, and I can honestly say that I haven't pulled out the Cuisinart since I bought the Vitamix. I use the Vitamix at least once a day, and I have made everything from smoothies to muffins, salsa to is amazing. I do think, though, that you have a psychological impetus to "get your money's worth" when you buy such a pricey item. I don't really pay attention to how often I use my $20 microwave, for example.

I make banana muffins using steel-cut oats (uncooked) and it purees them into a lovely coarse flour right in the batter - all one step.

I do still use my KitchenAid for large baking projects, bread, and all the attachments like meat grinding.

The only thing you might miss about a food processor is shredding - you can't get "grated" cheese or veggies from the Vitamix, but you can get a rougher/finer shred-esque approximation that works perfectly well but doesn't look as pretty.
Wife to my best friend , SAHM to DD1 (4/15/10) and DD2 (5/16/13)
Leiiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:03 AM   #20
Registered Users

no vitamix but just got the ninja and it is well worth the money costco sells is for about 120$ does dough, jucing and blending and soups. Its awesome!
GodLover is offline   Reply With Quote