Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-14-2012, 09:10 PM   #1
ziursrm
Registered Users
seller

Crib sharing with multiples question

I have 7m old twins and we mostly cosleep, but we also use a crib for naps and starting off the evenings (so DH and I can have the bed to ourselves for a couple of hours at least ). Tonight I went in to check on them and one was asleep on top of the other one and it made me worry about smothering. Am I going to have to keep them separate for awhile? I really don't want a second crib because we use it so little. Did anyone have a better solution they used? TIA

Advertisement

CDing, noVaxing, tandom BFing & BWing, coSleeping, minimalist in training 2100/2012
ziursrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:20 AM   #2
Amanda+2
Registered Users
seller
seller

we put a rolled up towel in between them, that should keep them apart
Amanda+2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:40 AM   #3
thekuligs
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Crib sharing with multiples question

Oh wow, mine never made it on top of eachother they wuld throw arms and legs over eachother though. That is scary.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:40 PM   #4
Amanda+2
Registered Users
seller
seller

we put a rolled up towel in between them, that should keep them apart
Amanda+2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:24 PM   #5
twinpossible
Registered Users

My Mood:

My girls could only share a bed until they started moving then we had to create distance. My girls would also sleep on each other or kick each other awake. They are 15 months now and sleep in different cribs. Right now I even have them in different rooms because one started waking up at midnight screaming from teething every single night. I think you have to do what works and when it stops working change it. The girls have been in a crib together, in our bed, in cribs in the same room and now in cribs in different rooms. Hopefully they will make it to the same room again in a few days when those teeth cut it out.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:29 AM   #6
Free Thinker
Registered Users
seller
seller

I don't remember having any problems, at that age I had them in the bed w/ me, and DH had a matress on the floor in the living room we could play on I would put them to sleep in our bed, and if we felt like it we could lay together in the living room until they woke up to eat. At 10 months they had a matress on the floor in our room, and DH and I got our bed back! MIne always slept together until this summer (age 4.5). I guess you could try the rolled towel, or maybe just put them a little further apart when you lay them down? Are you sure they moved that much in their sleep, or did the one wake up and crawl to the other one for comfort?
Old 08-17-2012, 05:27 PM   #7
KatrinaLoves
Registered Users
seller
seller

Maybe a small pool noodle between the two? Sturdier and less of a suffocation risk? We have Snuza alarms that are VERY accurate for this reason. I've been carrying one of them, cradled in my arms, and the alarm went off because it shifted on their diaper to where the sensor wasn't directly touching their stomach and detecting the breathing (it was against his hip).
I guess if one twin was totally on top of his sibling's monitor AND their face (and thus smothering them) you might not hear the alarm, but the possibility seemed far/fetched to me.

How scary for you though! Soon they should be out of the age range of worrying about this, thankfully. Hopefully you find something that works out well. Keep us posted!
KatrinaLoves is offline   Reply With Quote