Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-18-2012, 03:45 AM   #1
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
S/O name stealing...

It came out today that my sister who is 6mo pregnant, may be using my first daughter's middle name as her baby name (does not know gender yet). We are a close family and live near to each other and they will grow up together. I am a little annoyed, but what can I say? Do I have 'rights' to the name? it is not a family name or anything, just a name she likes. How would you feel about this?

ETA: I never said anything about getting all huffy or making her feel bad. Or causing a family feud over it. All I said was it annoyed me a little, there are so many names out there and considering we are such close family I would hope she would pick something different. I wouldn't pick a name that any of my family had already used for a first or middle name. But that's because I purposely picked my kids names to be unique. It's not a common name or a traditional name either. My daughter's name is Lulu and her first cousin on the other side has the name Lucy. They have the same last name. So their names are very similar. Not a huge deal to me, obviously i got over it but that's also because we don't see them frequently, they live far away. But when we were together I did notice the grandparents calling them by the wrong names more than once etc, so it is confusing that their names are similar! These are things that I always think about so I wonder why other people don't think about them too. I even try to avoid the same first initial if I can!

Advertisement

Last edited by jeebee; 08-18-2012 at 09:00 PM.
jeebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:05 AM   #2
Angel89411
Banned

Honestly, I think it is ridiculous to get upset over name stealing. There are a ton of people and others may like a similar or even the same name. You may or may not know them. But both of my boys have very classic first and middle names. Considering their last names will be butchered for the rest of their lives, I figured it'd be nice.

Now, what gets my goat is I knew ODS would probably get called Gabrielle at some point. But it is over and over. By adults. Often the same ones. Gabriel is never the first option. Always Gabrielle. It really bugs me. So we are all entitled to our pet peeves and you are certainly entitled to whatever feelings you may have on any subject. What matters is how you act even with those feelings.
Angel89411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:07 AM   #3
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: S/O name stealing...

I would say "Oh, that's so cute!" then silently judge her for being unoriginal

No, you don't have any "rights" to a name...it's weird that she's using your DD's middle name, but there's not much you can do about it.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:52 AM   #4
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Do you use middle names on a daily basis? Like I have family in Ohio near Kentucky and they use both first and middle names when identifying said person. If not...I think you just have to hope she has a boy since it is bugging you.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:34 AM   #5
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sigh. No we don't use middle names on a daily basis. The name just has a lot of personal significance to me, because it's the name of a flower and I used to walk a lot while pregnant with my daughter so that was the reason I named her that. So I guess that would kind of make it less special or something. It wouldn't be a huge deal, but just that I guess I would hope she would rather just come up with something totally different, rather than using the same name again.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:39 AM   #6
Wendylady
Registered Users

Well my youngest son's first name is the same as his cousin's middle name. Glad my sil doesn't feel the same way you do. The name is Alexander(though we call our son Xander, I just wanted him to have the option of using a more traditional name when he got older.) Unless your daughter goes by that name in her day to day life I don't see the big deal.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:44 AM   #7
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller

My Mood:

Unless you trademark the name, there's no such thing as having "rights" to it. We have friends who stole names from us... no biggie. It was a little annoying at first, but in the grand scheme of things, it really doesn't matter. Especially since it's your daughter's middle name, and not her first, KWIM?
Old 08-18-2012, 07:54 AM   #8
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think the whole "name stealing" is something really stupid to get all upset about. Name your kid what you want and others can do the same.

No one has "rights" for a certain name. In the whole big grand scheme of life there are way bigger things to get upset about.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:07 AM   #9
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm going to go C&P my response in the other thread. It was long. But, I have several experiences with this from both sides.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:12 AM   #10
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

IMO, she can name her kid anything she wants.

I don't get the being upset thing. IMO, it is kind of petty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerissa View Post
No one has "rights" for a certain name. In the whole big grand scheme of life there are way bigger things to get upset about.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote