Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-18-2012, 11:59 AM   #21
NewbieSAHM
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: S/O name stealing...

OP I can understand your annoyance . I do think there should be a sense of flattery that she likes that same name you do. I personally wouldn't feel like I could use a name that one of my friends or family has already used for a first or middle name.

DS has ALWAYS loved the middle name Elizabeth. He even gave it to his cat about 10 years ago. Everyone knew he loved it. And yet, his brother and sister-in-law had a daughter and chose to name her Elizabeth. He's sad about it because he always wanted to use it, but doesn't feel right about it now. But...we move on . There are lots of other names out there.

Advertisement

Old 08-18-2012, 12:07 PM   #22
Addicted2Chocolate
Registered Users
seller
seller

Personally I would be flattered. She obviously thinks its a beautiful name.
Addicted2Chocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:50 PM   #23
L&A'smommy
Registered Users
Formerly: laylaeomommy
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleidoscopeEyes

because i chose a unique name for DD for a reason
Old 08-18-2012, 12:53 PM   #24
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleidoscopeEyes

because i chose a unique name for DD for a reason
Yes, but it seems silly to spend energy harboring resentment when the only one who cares it you. Obviously they don't care or they wouldn't have used the name.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:05 PM   #25
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Her using the name will not make it less special to you. Honestly, the kids will think it's kind of cool.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using DS Forum

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:12 PM   #26
nohollyhomaker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

To me it doesn't matter who uses a name first. I don't think of it as stealing a name because someone happens to like a name you used for either the first or middle name. Middle names don't even get used on a regular basis. I had cousins who had the same exact name and I know someone who used my dd's really unique name after me. I don't think of it as stealing I think of it as having similar taste in names which it is. They are not stealing they are just choosing a name they like.

Last edited by nohollyhomaker; 08-18-2012 at 01:14 PM.
nohollyhomaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:29 PM   #27
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I posted this in the other thread but I will do so again here. I agree with those who say they don't understand the baby name stealing. No one owns names.

I have 3 uncles named Jose (2 by marriage)each has named a son Jose. My paternal grandfather is Jose. As I don't keep in touch with all my cousins(at last count it was 100 and climbing. that count was taken 30 years ago) I have no idea if they named their sons Jose. However I would be surprised if they didn't. My brother is Louis Jose.

My maternal grandfather is Joseph(In spanish Jose) my cousin is Joseph. Another brother is Raul Joseph. My brother came before my cousin.

I say if you like the name use it. If you don't like it don't use it. If someone else likes it for their child but out. Unless you all agree to have the right to name each others children it is none of your business.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:30 PM   #28
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I posted this in the other thread but I will do so again here. I agree with those who say they don't understand the baby name stealing. No one owns names.

I have 3 uncles named Jose (2 by marriage)each has named a son Jose. My paternal grandfather is Jose. As I don't keep in touch with all my cousins(at last count it was 100 and climbing. that count was taken 30 years ago) I have no idea if they named their sons Jose. However I would be surprised if they didn't. My brother is Louis Jose.

My maternal grandfather is Joseph(In spanish Jose) my cousin is Joseph. Another brother is Raul Joseph. My brother came before my cousin.

I say if you like the name use it. If you don't like it don't use it. If someone else likes it for their child but out. Unless you all agree to have the right to name each others children it is none of your business.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 03:03 PM   #29
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

If she were using your daughters first name as HER daughters first name, yeah I'd be annoyed and probably say something. But using your daughters MIDDLE name, as her child's first name... not worth getting upset over, imho.

God bless!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 05:02 PM   #30
amegrl520
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerissa
I think the whole "name stealing" is something really stupid to get all upset about. Name your kid what you want and others can do the same.

No one has "rights" for a certain name. In the whole big grand scheme of life there are way bigger things to get upset about.
I agree.

amegrl520 is offline   Reply With Quote