Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-18-2012, 07:57 AM   #1
Mac & Cheeses mom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Bread

Ok so when you mommas make bread how many do you make at a time, and is it cheaper to make it or buy it?

I am thinking of making our bread but I don't have enough bread pans so those of you who make bulk bread, how do you form the bread?

Advertisement

Old 08-18-2012, 08:28 AM   #2
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: Bread

Trying to look for other thread.no luck right now but I get bread free from hubby work or .99 a loaf. A neighbor makes in loaf pans I think 6 to 8 at a time. She wasn't sure how much it was to make.
abunchoflemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:30 AM   #3
Mac & Cheeses mom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by abunchoflemons
Trying to look for other thread.no luck right now but I get bread free from hubby work or .99 a loaf. A neighbor makes in loaf pans I think 6 to 8 at a time. She wasn't sure how much it was to make.
Thanks I do a search.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:01 AM   #4
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Here's the link. I finally found on my comp.Phone is poopy when trying to find stuff I wrote on. http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1424790

This is from my neighbor that makes bread in oaf pans. (whole wheat, eggs, milk, soy, rye).
abunchoflemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:47 AM   #5
mama_to_DJM
Registered Users

I made most of our own bread. I've found that it's cheaper than buying "good" bread, but not as cheap as the "super cheap" bread. I figured out the cost for one recipe, and it was about $1.25/loaf.

As for how many to make- I just make them one at a time. We eat about 2 loaves a week of wheat bread. The main reason I make just one is because I don't want to overwhelm my mixer. It's a KA Artisan mixer, and it does great, I just don't want to wear it out. I also have never had a need to make them in bulk- it's easy enough to make that I don't mind doing it twice a week.

My cooking blog- http://michellesnewrecipes.blogspot.com/
mama_to_DJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:53 PM   #6
Mac & Cheeses mom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_to_DJM
I made most of our own bread. I've found that it's cheaper than buying "good" bread, but not as cheap as the "super cheap" bread. I figured out the cost for one recipe, and it was about $1.25/loaf.

As for how many to make- I just make them one at a time. We eat about 2 loaves a week of wheat bread. The main reason I make just one is because I don't want to overwhelm my mixer. It's a KA Artisan mixer, and it does great, I just don't want to wear it out. I also have never had a need to make them in bulk- it's easy enough to make that I don't mind doing it twice a week.
Ok so even for a cheap wheat bread it's 1.50 so that's not bad then. I have to make Atleast 3 t a time because when we have fresh homemade bread we seem to eat it quicker.

ETA I would be making them by hand because I don't have a stand mixer ( I will be hunting at one for Christmas from DH).

Last edited by Mac & Cheeses mom; 08-18-2012 at 12:54 PM.
Mac & Cheeses mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:20 PM   #7
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
There's such a huge difference based on what products you buy. If I'm buying loaf bread, I get cheapy stuff just to fill in the need until I have time to bake more. The bread I bake is usually smaller loaves with whole wheat, oats, etc. I'm sure I don't save much money, but it's do much better, and I really like knowing what's in my food.

ETA: I do all mine by hand too. I don't own a mixer of any kind. I enjoy hand mixing. Sometimes I give DS1 a pile of dough and let him play with it to help me kneed. I usually do one loaf at a time because I like it fresh, but occasionally, I'll do an extra big batch and freeze the extra dough.

Last edited by Mama*Kim; 08-18-2012 at 11:25 PM.
Mama*Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 12:41 PM   #8
Mac & Cheeses mom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama*Kim
There's such a huge difference based on what products you buy. If I'm buying loaf bread, I get cheapy stuff just to fill in the need until I have time to bake more. The bread I bake is usually smaller loaves with whole wheat, oats, etc. I'm sure I don't save much money, but it's do much better, and I really like knowing what's in my food.

ETA: I do all mine by hand too. I don't own a mixer of any kind. I enjoy hand mixing. Sometimes I give DS1 a pile of dough and let him play with it to help me kneed. I usually do one loaf at a time because I like it fresh, but occasionally, I'll do an extra big batch and freeze the extra dough.
Thanks! I'm going to make out bread when the loaf in the freezer is done. I think in the long run I will like it better. I don't eat a lot of bread anyways, but I do like some fresh bread.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:54 AM   #9
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

I find a basic loaf of bread for me costs less than 50cents. That's based on the 20lb bags of flour that I pay $7-8 for and about a pound of flour per loaf.
isabelsmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:03 AM   #10
EskimoStitches
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

if you buy the flour and yeast in bulk it is cheaper and better for you. I am one of 6 kids and when mom would make bread, she would make 30-40 at a time and that would last us a week, keeping in mind that one loaf of bread home made is 1/3-1/2 the size of a commercial loaf. We had huge freezers tho and always had extra mouths at the table. That lasted us about a week. I would figure out whatever your family eats in a week and make that many. The initial investment of the pans is minimal over the possible lifetime of them, especially if you can get them on sale.