Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-18-2012, 12:34 PM   #1
jamie714
Registered Users
seller

Would you start solids?

I generally count independent sitting and having teeth as signs of solid food readiness. DD1 had teeth at 4.5 months and was sitting fight at 5. I started her on solids at 5.5 months. DD2 was sitting at 5 months but did not have teeth until about 8. I started her on solids at about 6.5 months, without teeth.

DS will be 5 months on the 19th. He has no teeth and is not even close to sitting but does well in the bumbo. He usually sits one my lap while we eat though and is always growling and grabbing at my food. I know that is not a sign I readiness as he would do that with anything I had that I did not let him touch. However, I was just thinking maybe I might start giving him tiny bites of mashed bananas or avacado so he is more content while we eat. What do you think? What would you do?

Btw. We have no allergy concerns. No one in our family has any allergies.

Thanks.

Advertisement

jamie714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:40 PM   #2
liza-bo-biza
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Would you start solids?

It can't hurt to try, right? If he's uninterested, wait a few weeks and try again!
liza-bo-biza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:51 AM   #3
je_friend
Registered Users

The age recommended to start solids varies by country- my sister lives in Israel and they said 4.5 to 5 months! I think losing the tongue-thrust reflex is actually the biggest thing- that's where you give them food and they spit it right back out. If he'll eat it, I think a little oatmeal/ banana/ whatever is fine!

My little man just got his first teeth at 9.5 months so I don't know that having teeth is really a requirement. He was ready to eat a long time ago.
je_friend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:12 AM   #4
miraclebaby
Registered Users
seller

In my house we don't start offering solids until the baby can sit up in the chair and feed himself with his own hands. Around 10.5-11 months is when we start solids and we never use baby food. We go straight to table foods. Before a year breastmilk is the main nutrition and no additional supplements need to be given, its just practice.

Join me swagging http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/stephlawler
miraclebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:13 AM   #5
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I guess you can try if you want to. Micah is 5 months today and has 4 teeth and acts interested when we're eating, but won't actually put food in his mouth when I offer it, so I'm just waiting until he wants to try eating something on his own. I don't see a point in feeding him things that are less nutritious than breastmilk unless he really wants to try them, so we won't be doing mashed things.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:56 PM   #6
jamie714
Registered Users
seller

Thanks. I did try a little mashed avocado just to see. Next time I think I will mix some breast milk in but he loved it and kept it in his mouth and swallowed really well. Then he would grab the spoon and lean to get the next bite in his mouth faster. He is so different than our girls were. I only gave him about 5 tiny bites. I also want to see how his belly will do with it.

I do believe that before a year it is not needed and before a year I always nurse first so they can have the experience of eating a little but not much because they already have a belly full of mommas milk.

I think I will continue giving a few bites at dinner when we are all eating together if his tummy does well with it.
jamie714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:20 PM   #7
ButtRpies
Registered Users
Formerly: rjwinner
seller
seller

My Mood:

All 3 of my kiddos started cereal solids at 4 months and veggies at 5 months. I didn't go by teeth or actual sitting up on their own; I went by if they were showing interest in what I was eating. Like mimicking opening mouth or chewing or grabbing for food.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:04 AM   #8
mamacrothers
Registered Users

My Mood:

I started with rice cereal at around 3 weeks with both of my children as suggested by my mother and grandmother, babies both slept better and were generally happier =) It's not for every little tummy though although bland. We started with basic fruits and veggies around 4 months or so. Lots of people don't agree with my starting my children on cereals and suchas early as i did, but it worked for us =)
mamacrothers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:21 AM   #9
Lizliterarius
Registered Users
seller

The rules are so arbitrary! my son was READY to eat at 4 months. IE feeding himself from my plate, leaning in for the next bite of food and it ALL went down. I cant imagine how unhappy he would have been if I'd followed all the rules and waited until 6mo-a year before letting him eat!
Lizliterarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:25 PM   #10
melvy83
Registered Users

i gave my DD solids @ 4 months. i gave her serials really watery. she was ready n she liked it. 2 weeks later i gave fruits n veggies. she gobbled them all. she s 5.5 months now n all going good.
melvy83 is offline   Reply With Quote