Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-17-2012, 08:30 PM   #1
ZoeyMakesThree
Registered Users
seller
seller

How do I know if DS has a bad latch?

Ds just turned 3 months and has gained exactly 3 pounds (counting from his lowest point). He is super happy and has lots of wet and poopy diapers. Has met all his milestones, etc. I just worry as to why he isnt gaining more. He eats 8 to 10 times a day, usually both sides and atleast once during the night. He seems to have a pretty shallow latch and after he eats i can still pump a fair amount. Could he have a bad latch? TIA!

Advertisement

ZoeyMakesThree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:37 PM   #2
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: How do I know if DS has a bad latch?

I would call your local LLL or your hospital and make an appointment with a lactation consultant if you are concerned. LLL is free. Each LLL group is a little different. I went to one at night, and most of the moms there worked (hence the need to come at night). It was slightly less crunchy and less judgy than some of the other daytime groups, and more in line with my parenting style.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:10 PM   #3
AniMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:
Is yr dr concerned by lack of weight gain? What percentile is the baby? If s/he is fine with weight gain, I'd say relax, keep doing what you're doing and maybe pump and save for later.

My LO is a pipsqweak and has been since day one. She's been in the 5th percentile for weight her whole life. At 2 yo, she weighs 22 lbs. Some babies are smaller and some larger. I used to obsess about her weight (literally weighing everyday) until my ped told me to stop because that's just the way she's made.

Last edited by AniMommy; 08-18-2012 at 06:12 PM.
AniMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:49 AM   #4
je_friend
Registered Users

Growing along a constant 'curve' is a good indication that the baby is getting enough; as AniMommy says, some kids are just littler than others.

Signs of bad latch: pain, nipple blanching, strange clicking noises, tendency to 'hang out' on the boob (though some kids do this anyways).... lack of weight gain.

I agree with the others: have a good LC check out your latch, and also check the baby for tongue-tie, which will prevent a good latch no matter how hard you work on it (usually). Good luck!
je_friend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:31 AM   #5
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoeyMakesThree
Ds just turned 3 months and has gained exactly 3 pounds (counting from his lowest point). He is super happy and has lots of wet and poopy diapers. Has met all his milestones, etc. I just worry as to why he isnt gaining more. He eats 8 to 10 times a day, usually both sides and atleast once during the night. He seems to have a pretty shallow latch and after he eats i can still pump a fair amount. Could he have a bad latch? TIA!
Doubtful. A bad latch is usually noticeable! Ouch!

How much do you pump? And are you offering both breasts or one during a feeding? Do you pump after every feeding and at the same times?
Old 08-19-2012, 11:21 AM   #6
ZoeyMakesThree
Registered Users
seller
seller

thanks ladies! I guess its not his latch b/c i have no nipple pain. I've been thinking about it and for the first month he often only nursed 6-7 times per day and I figured that was enough since he was happy. But I'm guessing maybe that wasnt enough stimulation and my supply isnt high enough now?

Last time we saw the pedi she was fine with his gain but now he is in the 8th percentile.
ZoeyMakesThree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 04:18 PM   #7
lilmomma83
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981 View Post
Doubtful. A bad latch is usually noticeable! Ouch!
Usually, but, not always!!!! My middle child who is tongue tied (all 3 of mine are - only the baby was revised) coulld not suck hard enough to cause pain. My supply completely dried up (to the point there was not even a drop...people say it can't happen but it did happen to me).

Just throwing htat out there!
lilmomma83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 04:20 PM   #8
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoeyMakesThree
thanks ladies! I guess its not his latch b/c i have no nipple pain. I've been thinking about it and for the first month he often only nursed 6-7 times per day and I figured that was enough since he was happy. But I'm guessing maybe that wasnt enough stimulation and my supply isnt high enough now?

Last time we saw the pedi she was fine with his gain but now he is in the 8th percentile.
Nurse, flange the lips, chest to your chest. His chin over his sternum (do not hold so his neck is turned) and hold him across you. Parallel. Side lying is actually one of the best nursing positions.

Those things help, a lot. Make sure that lower lip is like a fish, too.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:27 PM   #9
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

How big are you and DH? 8th percentile would pretty much be expected if you are both on the smaller side. If you are both 6ft tall then that would seem something to investigate. Growth charts show averages of healthy children. Some healthy kids are smaller than others. My dd1 has never been above the 10th percentile but there are a LOT of short people in my family!

If you are concerned, and it sounds like you pump anyway, you could nurse and then offer bottle of pumped milk afterwards. Pretty much all babies, hungry or not, will take a few ounces out of a bottle after nursing. If he downs another 6oz in a bottle then I might wonder if he's nursing as efficiently as he might be.
isabelsmummy is offline   Reply With Quote