Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-18-2012, 09:11 PM   #1
amyltc
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Anyone get sick of the judgement?

Just a vent but I get so tired of people saying to me, oh I could never work and have kids, or that by the time I pay daycare I may as well stay home, or other things that imply that I'm not a good mom if I don't sah. I know live in an area where sah is the norm, but I wish people would turn off the judgement!

Advertisement

amyltc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:38 PM   #2
wlillie
Banned

My Mood:
Re: Anyone get sick of the judgement?

Yep. I just try to tell myself that I'm doing the best I can for my family. That's all that really matters, right? Be proud that you are capable of earning enough money to make it worth putting your kids in daycare!
wlillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:44 PM   #3
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i dont know if it's judgement, for us it financially would not make sense to have a wohp.
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:55 PM   #4
L J
Gazelle Intense
seller
seller

I'm a WOHM right now, because DH has been unemployed. But I have to quit soon, because he is starting a new job and I honest to goodness cannot afford the cost of Child care with what I make.

I would love to keep working, and we certainly need the income, but I can't make it work.

Maybe (some of) the women making these comments are like me - they truly don't have any marketable skill that will bring in enough money to cover child care and have profit.
L J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:01 AM   #5
amyltc
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleidoscopeEyes View Post
i dont know if it's judgement, for us it financially would not make sense to have a wohp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by L J View Post
I'm a WOHM right now, because DH has been unemployed. But I have to quit soon, because he is starting a new job and I honest to goodness cannot afford the cost of Child care with what I make.

I would love to keep working, and we certainly need the income, but I can't make it work.

Maybe (some of) the women making these comments are like me - they truly don't have any marketable skill that will bring in enough money to cover child care and have profit.
Oh I totally understand that, and it still takes a large chunk of my income ( I'm a teacher so I don't make tons of money) and that sucks. I understand that it isn't worth it for everyone, just the people that have said those things have been very condescending. I guess this time of year I always get oversensitive about this, since I am going back to work after the summer
amyltc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:53 AM   #6
L J
Gazelle Intense
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyltc

Oh I totally understand that, and it still takes a large chunk of my income ( I'm a teacher so I don't make tons of money) and that sucks. I understand that it isn't worth it for everyone, just the people that have said those things have been very condescending. I guess this time of year I always get oversensitive about this, since I am going back to work after the summer
I would say to you:

I am so jealous of your schedule! I wish, when I were younger and able, I had the foresight to get a degree in education. I would love to work the same schedule as my kids. That must be so comforting to them.

L J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:57 PM   #7
marvelous
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I get that type of comment a lot, even from an older co-worker who SAH when her kids were younger, but not usually in a condescending tone. I dunno. I know this is what works and is best for my family so I don't give much weight to comments like that--whether in a condescending tone or not. I've been the bread winner up until a year or two ago so this is just how it is for our family. Besides, I know myself well enough to know I'm not really SAHM material.

Now I DO have a problem with people who make comments like, "Why have kids if you are going to pay someone else to raise them?" THAT gets my blood boiling!
Old 08-20-2012, 12:24 AM   #8
hpfgirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
The quick answer is, "my kids love daycare and aren't missing out on anything."

Besides, does your husband feel guilty for not staying home with them? Equality baby!

3T/4T Trainers, and Toddler AIOs for sale.
hpfgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:56 AM   #9
nothingtosee
Registered Users

My Mood:

People will always find something to complain about.
I've been on both sides of this, and if you're at home, you're a lazy-good-for-nothing who can't get out of bed to work to support the kids. If you're at work, you obviously don't care enough about your children to give them your attention.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:59 AM   #10
missydawn
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

See it is the opposite where I live. You are looked down upon if you do not work. I get sick of it because I did try to find a job so it makes it all that much worse.
missydawn is online now   Reply With Quote