Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-20-2012, 08:53 PM   #11
mrsgrantis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Nurses: Tell me more!

I'm a L&D RN 95 years now) previously worked in ER
I work PT which means i work anywhere from 3- 14 shifts a month - my average is 8
The money is alright
the work is rewarding
I do mostly nights - its harder on me but the kids seem to do better with me on nights vs. days - doing 12hr shift when i work days i pretty much just put them to bed ( and usully later then usual) so the yget tired and miss me
but on nights they see me for breakfast and a snuggle - then i sleep for awhile get up after lunch have a play/snuggle and do dinner with them

I don't always get breaks
I work alot fo weekends and holidays ( weekends never bothered me as DH often works weekend as well)
Daycare can be diffiuclt as Dh works shifts as well and finding an evening sitter is challenging ( same with a weekend sitter)

but i still wouldn't change it

Advertisement

Old 08-21-2012, 07:58 AM   #12
beaniesmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've been a nurse for 8 years on a busy cardiac floor. I work 24-32 hours a week depending on the week. this is considered part time. I do 2 twelve hour shifts and one 8 hour shift. My 8 hour shift since I got back from maternity leave, is doing committee work. Nursing can and is more then bedside care. I do a lot of work with our quality dept which I find is a nice break from the bedside. I love working with patients, but it can get exhausting - esp depending on the type of pt population you work with.

It is a great job for kids, but the holiday rotation and weekends are part of it. like a previous poster said, 12 hour shifts basically let you say hi to your kiddos that day. I was on nights for 8 years and went to days last year. Nights works if you can get some rest. I wasn't sleeping so was worthless. It worked wonderful when my DH could swing his shift so that I could take a few hour nap after work...

there is a lot to consider
Old 08-21-2012, 11:50 AM   #13
Van1300
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaSueCongdon View Post
What all is involved in social work in a medical field?
Well in the hospital, I did discharge planning and case management. I saw all new admissions and assessed what they would need to help get them home safely. If they could not go home, we got them into a nursing home or rehabilitation. Sometimes we coordinated home health care, delivery of equipment, medications, transportation, and complex medical care. It was always fast paced and busy. I counted on the nurses and doctors and therapists to tell me their inputs and we coordinated a good plan of action. The patients and their families were so appreciative.

I worked on every floor of the hospital. Cardiac, Surgery, Progressive Care, OB/NICU, ICU, Short Stay. Every area of the hospital had special needs.

In home health and hospice, I visit patients at home once they leave the hospital. I provide the same resource assistance with transport, food, utilities, equipment, medication etc but in their environment. I also provide counseling to patients and families about their illness and or preparing for death (if it is terminal). We give emotional support, validate and reassure families, and help them prepare for the decline in their loved one's abilities. I work closely with the nurses and chaplains everyday to provide good care and service. It is very challenging, but also very rewarding.

Along the way, I learned about diseases, body systems and functions and medications. I am not a nurse, but I can carry on medically complex conversations and advocate for my patient's needs. PM me if you have any additional questions!
Old 08-21-2012, 03:11 PM   #14
palsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaSueCongdon View Post
What is per diem status exactly? Do you earn it or select it? Any tips for an aspiring nurse? I have a BS in an unrelated field (bible & theology with a psych minor), so I've got all the science prerequisites to do first. :-)
Per diem status is lower than part time. I only have to be available 3 shifts a month and one major holiday. It's not a ton of work so having some experience under your belt is preferred.

I would say volunteer at the hospital or get a CNA/unit secretary position and work in the hospital to see if it's something you enjoy. Get familiar with it and then make a decision
Old 08-21-2012, 03:33 PM   #15
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by palsmama

Per diem status is lower than part time. I only have to be available 3 shifts a month and one major holiday. It's not a ton of work so having some experience under your belt is preferred.

I would say volunteer at the hospital or get a CNA/unit secretary position and work in the hospital to see if it's something you enjoy. Get familiar with it and then make a decision
That's genius! Thank you for the suggestion. I've been wanting to try the hospital environment out first and wasn't sure what positions would be "entry level.". I'm going to pursue that! Im also training for doula work right now so that experience will help me decide too. I know doulas and nurses have very different roles (with some potential for overlap, but not often) so if I feel content as a doula then no reason to pursue nursing? We'll see. :-)
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:00 AM   #16
Pompomclothies
Registered Users

I'm an OB nurse, too. I have been a nurse for 18 years. About 16 of those in L&D , postpartum. I work in a birthing center where we do low risk births now. I have done ICU, and ten years of level 3 OB (high risk). I do love nursing! I also think it's not for everyone, though. You need to be very level headed, nerves of steel, kind and caring (even when patients and family members are freaking out!). You may have to work night shift, which that in itself sometimes is very hard. Pay is good. Hours are flexible. If you love people and love helping people, are good at math and science, I'm sure you will make a good nurse. Good luck!
Pompomclothies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:03 AM   #17
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks ladies!

Did any of you go through school while you had children? I'd love to get started but DH is thinking he wants me to hold off school until our kids are in school all day (like 1st grade) which will be 6 more years. :-/

Also, how much control do you have over your schedule? I think my ideal would be to work 2-3 days a week during my husbands "busy" seasons, and maybe 4-5 when thugs are slow.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:45 AM   #18
jaelynsmommy61607
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm curious about schooling too. I have 3 kids and am working full time right now. I think a ma would be a better choice for me right now.
jaelynsmommy61607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:21 AM   #19
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Nursing is awesome, but depending on where you a2yr, there can be quote a long wait list. I've seen some colleges where there's a 3-4 yr wait after doing the general education requirements just to apply for the nursing program.

Honestly, there are write a few jobs that are similar to nursing with good pay that I would look into.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using DS Forum

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:40 PM   #20
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Which jobs are you thinking of?