Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-27-2012, 01:55 PM   #21
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

DP

Advertisement

Last edited by BeccaSueCongdon; 08-27-2012 at 06:26 PM.
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:23 AM   #22
tweety612
Registered Users
seller
seller

I graduated 2 years ago. I went back to school taking prereqs when DS1 was 3, and I was a SAHM. It was hard, but I put him in pre-school part time and did my work then. I found out I was pg with DS2 two weeks after I passed my boards. So that put a little kink in my plans to work. I have been doing PT/per diem work because I don't really want to put him in daycare yet (he's 17mo now). I have been substituting as a school nurse and working at clinics doing flu shots during flu season while my mom watches him. I did look for work in hospitals when I first graduated but most of the places around here want a BSN. I am taking online classes for that now but it is hard to get the work done with a needy/clingy LO. I am looking forward to getting into a hospital when DS2 is a little older.

Sent from my DROID4 using DS Forum

Last edited by tweety612; 08-30-2012 at 07:27 AM.
tweety612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:00 AM   #23
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweety612
I graduated 2 years ago. I went back to school taking prereqs when DS1 was 3, and I was a SAHM. It was hard, but I put him in pre-school part time and did my work then. I found out I was pg with DS2 two weeks after I passed my boards. So that put a little kink in my plans to work. I have been doing PT/per diem work because I don't really want to put him in daycare yet (he's 17mo now). I have been substituting as a school nurse and working at clinics doing flu shots during flu season while my mom watches him. I did look for work in hospitals when I first graduated but most of the places around here want a BSN. I am taking online classes for that now but it is hard to get the work done with a needy/clingy LO. I am looking forward to getting into a hospital when DS2 is a little older.

Thanks for sharing! What degree did you get?
Old 08-30-2012, 08:13 AM   #24
tweety612
Registered Users
seller
seller

Associates degree in Nursing. I'm an RN.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:25 PM   #25
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Oh! I didn't realize an RN only needed an Associates! That's cool. :-)
Old 08-30-2012, 12:39 PM   #26
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaSueCongdon
Oh! I didn't realize an RN only needed an Associates! That's cool. :-)
There are many Associate degree programs, but some schools are phasing them out and I've seen some hospitals that are asking for BSNs as well.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using DS Forum

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:09 PM   #27
mebl0901
Registered Users
seller

There's also been talking of phasing out LPNs as well. Just a thought. If I had to do it over again, I'd get my BSN again. Its so worth it.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:24 PM   #28
mommysoon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Nurses: Tell me more!

I have been a med/surg nurse (BSN) for 3yrs now and I love it but as several others have said it's not for everyone. It's not something to just do for the paycheck or job security that's for sure but you did say you are drawn to it for other more sincere reasons so it may be for you.
It's rewarding and challenging and heart breaking all in the same day and sometimes it's frustrating and stressful and you have to learn how to bite your tongue with patients, families and administration all while wearing a smile!
I went through school when my son was younger but he was also in school which was great but you could always start doing your core courses part-time until your kids are in school. Like a previous poster said many schools have waiting lists especially ADN programs but you can't apply until you have finished your core courses so if your do them part-time there's a good chance that by the time you get them done and you get accepted your LOs will be in school. School is difficult and you have to balance lectures with clinical hours with lab time and studying so it may be a little more then you bargained for if you start your actual nursing classes before all your children are at least in pre-school.
It really is a wonderful profession but you have to jump into it whole-heartedly!
Old 09-05-2012, 10:42 PM   #29
gingerpeachee
Registered Users
seller

Re: Nurses: Tell me more!

I actually have birth to my second son the second to last week of my third semester of nursing school. Nursing school is really hard. At least it is around here. I worked 20-25 hours a week as a waitress during pre-reqs and my first year of Nursing school and the second year I stopped working. I had an amazing support system.

I worked for a very short time as charge nurse at a long term care facility on a vent unit and I left that job because it was DE-pressing and now I work 3- 12s, nights med/surg at a local hospital and I'm getting my BSN 6 credits per semester online.

I'll specialize in a year or 2, or I'll get my CCRN.
Old 09-15-2012, 01:59 AM   #30
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

I've been looking around at options for schooling in my area, and it makes more sense for me to do the BSN. One of the big teaching hospitals here has an accelerated BSN program for students who already have a bachelors (I have one in psychology). It's a highly competitive program and does have about a years worth of prerequisite courses I need/can take at the community college. I have a 4 yo DS in preschool 3 days a week (for 3 hours) and a 17 mo DD I need to snuggle with for a while. :-) Do my plan is to take the birth doula training I've been planning that runs through oct/nov, then spend some time volunteering for the teaching hospitals doula program. They offer free doulas to patients in labor, so doulas sign up for a 12 hour "on call" shift and you come if you're needed. It will be amazing experience AND it will really help my application. They school also has a "collaborative care" training they offer for doulas so I plan to take that as well.

I'll sit down and plan out all the prerequisite courses on an excel sheet so I can see how long it would take if I did full time vs part time vs one or two at a time. Once I hit the actual BSN program it's full time for sure. And then my goal would be to land a job in a hospital working 2-3 twelves a week at night - opposite DH. I've always been a night owl and it would fit perfectly into our established family rhythm.

I know if I plow through it I can get it all done in two years, but I don't know if that's a realistic expectation with two small children.

What do you ladies think?