View Poll Results: what type of school
public 63 52.50%
private 25 20.83%
homeschool 26 21.67%
other 6 5.00%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-19-2012, 07:45 AM   #1
missydawn
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Where do you send your kids for school???

I was just wondering where you send your kids to school and if you don't mind answering why you send them there. Poll coming.

Advertisement

Homeschool Buyer CO-OP = Great Homeschool Deals
missydawn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:52 AM   #2
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Where do you send your kids for school???

Homeschool because our public schools are horrible.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:58 AM   #3
CarrieMF
Registered Users

My Mood:

public. the only options we have locally are regular public, catholic public, homeschool & 2 years ago a french school opened that is private(it is really really tiny & has maybe 20 students in the entire school).

Catholic wasn't an option.

The french isn't an option, we don't speak enough of it to justify paying for it and my kids were older when it opened.

The public schools are great around here. I have always kept the option of homeschool open but there hasn't been any reason for it. I also started working in the division and have worked in every school. I know which staff members are good and which aren't. Because I work in the division I get different treatment from staff than before I started working in it. Even when all I did was noon supervision as a parent I started to be treated differently.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:04 AM   #4
wlillie
Banned

My Mood:

Our kid is only 4, but he will start a private preschool and will probably continue there. We live in MS-nuf said.
wlillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:20 AM   #5
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:
Public school for my younger 3 for now. While public school will never be perfect, we live in a really good district and I love the elementary school they go to.

My oldest is homeschooled right now. She's been homeschooled before but has been in public school most of her life. As good as our district is, it's terribly overcrowded. When an elementary school is full, they send those kids to an overflow school. Well, there is no overflow jr high (only 2 of them) and high school (just 1.) We live in a small town with a population of 35K, but the high school has 4K students. It's designed to hold about 3K. My daughter was being shoved through with the masses. She failed every test she ever took and all her teachers claimed she was "fine" because she was passing their classes with a C. I even questioned her final grade bc her test scores were all low. I think they were passing her for the sake of getting her through. That's not good enough for my child. I choose to school her myself. I will do the same for my others if I don't feel like public school is working in their best interest.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:23 AM   #6
missydawn
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychomom View Post
Public school for my younger 3 for now. While public school will never be perfect, we live in a really good district and I love the elementary school they go to.

My oldest is homeschooled right now. She's been homeschooled before but has been in public school most of her life. As good as our district is, it's terribly overcrowded. When an elementary school is full, they send those kids to an overflow school. Well, there is no overflow jr high (only 2 of them) and high school (just 1.) We live in a small town with a population of 35K, but the high school has 4K students. It's designed to hold about 3K. My daughter was being shoved through with the masses. She failed every test she ever took and all her teachers claimed she was "fine" because she was passing their classes with a C. I even questioned her final grade bc her test scores were all low. I think they were passing her for the sake of getting her through. That's not good enough for my child. I choose to school her myself. I will do the same for my others if I don't feel like public school is working in their best interest.
That sounds like our schools. There are so many kids here they still have 25 kids they can't place and school starts tuesday. That is with every teacher taking two more kids in their class then they are allowed. Our district has really gone down hill these past five years.
Homeschool Buyer CO-OP = Great Homeschool Deals
missydawn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:38 AM   #7
ARogers
Registered Users
seller
seller

Private. We were living in GA which has horrible ps. We are now in Tx where the ps are a little better than GA but not what we would like. I like sending DS to Catholic School well because we're Catholic. If we lived in an area with a great ps system we would probably still send him to private school if we could afford it.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:46 AM   #8
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Public school.

We specifically bought this house because of the schools. DS goes to developmental preschool, and DD is in kindy this year. Our high school has a 97.4% graduation rate and 69% of the kids took at least one AP class. 60 Percent graduated with an honors diploma, 35.5 got a Core 40 diploma, and only 4.3% earned the standard diploma. 0.3% earned a GED.

I think she'll do just fine in public school!
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:58 AM   #9
mamaerica
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have 1 in public school and 2 in a charter school.

mamaerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:35 AM   #10
ralenth
Registered Users

Public. We live in a great district, with amazing teachers. My DD starts 1st grade in a week, and has only 11 kids in her class. My oldest is going into 5th, and gets a special math class, because he is above grade level (should be starting 8th grade math this year). The school and teachers consistently go above and beyond for my kids. I wouldn't send them anywhere else.
ralenth is offline   Reply With Quote