View Poll Results: what type of school
public 63 52.50%
private 25 20.83%
homeschool 26 21.67%
other 6 5.00%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-20-2012, 08:34 AM   #51
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:
Re: Where do you send your kids for school???

Public school for a few reason.
A)I had a great public school experience
B) We live in a great school district, in fact we moved here for the great schools even though it is farther from DH's work
C) My ODD is a social butterfly and I don't think she would enjoy homeschool as much (due to my next reason..you will see) DS is in early childhood and it is really helpful to him.
D) I am a homebody so I don't think my kids would have much fun doing homeschool because we wouldn't get out and about as much as they would like. I don't think I am cut out to homeschool them...which is funny considering once I get my degree I will be a teacher...but an art teacher so totally different.

***If any of my kids WANTED to be homeschooled and I think they would thrive I would not be opposed to homeschooling...I just dont' think it is the best fit for our family.

Advertisement

Your not a woman until people come out of your vagina and step on your dreams. Louis C.K.

Swag with me! 10% off at my HC store with code: diaperswappers
Fashionably Green Baby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:56 AM   #52
fiveofhearts
Registered Users

Homeschool.... I love our public school system and have nothing against it but dh went to school full tine days and worked evening and nights., In order for ds to see him we decided to Homeschool to be able to build our schedule around him. Now that we have hs'd for a year we have fallen in love with so many of the benefits!
fiveofhearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:55 AM   #53
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

My oldest is starting public pre-K Tuesday. After that, we will decide if we want to continue public for her, or do we want to home school. I want to know how she does in a classroom setting.

We don't have any private schools within 40+ miles, aside from a church that is not accredited and has about ten students, and is quite a bit different than our denomination (in a way that I don't think they'd take us).
Old 08-20-2012, 12:37 PM   #54
carolineb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I voted public. This will be the first time they are going to public school. My oldest will enter 2nd grade. I did HS with him for 2 years. My middle one will start kinder, so technically, I didn't HS him. We chose public because private is expensive! We can afford it, but DH would rather save that money for their college education. We have a fantastic highly ranked academic school 2 blocks from our house.

I think the schedule and routine will fit my kids well. That was something I lacked in HS due to a new baby that turned into a busy toddler climbing everything, not napping, and needing LOTS of attention!
Old 08-20-2012, 04:54 PM   #55
MyLovely
Registered Users

Not there yet, but either public or public charter. As an atheist, religious education is not something I'd want for them, and secular private schools are insanely expensive. Not to mention, I'm a huge supporter of public education. In the end, it doesn't matter so much where you school them; if you, the parents, don't instill a love of learning into your kids, they won't do well. If you work with them to ensure they love reading and help them explore topics they like outside of school, they'll do just fine
Old 08-20-2012, 05:04 PM   #56
ashley84
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DSD goes to public school and our other kids will too. I am a very strong supporter of public schooling. I personally had a very positive experience in public schools. I think public schools socially prepare kids for the real world and life in a way that private school cannot. Even if I was a billionaire, my kids would go to public school.

That said, if there were a Montessori preschool in our area, my kids would most definitely be going to it. Unfortunately, there are no Montessori schools near us. I have no hesitation about sending my kids to the local public preschool though.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:13 PM   #57
aries416
Registered Users
seller

DD is 4 and going to public preschool this year, free from the state. She will go to public school for k-12 as well. We specifically chose this house because of the district.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:55 PM   #58
ssand23
Registered Users
seller
seller

Public right now. We have a great public school district for the most part. They even offer Montessori as part of the elementary school. You can opt for the Montessori program, the multi-age program or traditional classes. Hard to beat free Montessori. But my little guy is due to start the handicapped/special needs program in January since he'll be 3 when school reopens after winter break. I don't know if they can accommodate all his medical stuff now & in the future so homeschooling is our plan B. My 9 year old has been having a lot of issues with school with them refusing to recognize & accomodate her diagnosed learning disability. Right now she benefits more from the public school than being home but the second that changes, I wouldn't hesitate to pull her out.
ssand23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:56 PM   #59
nothingtosee
Registered Users

My Mood:

Ds is attending a Montessori school and we're still doing a homeschool curriculum on the side....and I'm not sure how it will all work out, but we're gonna try.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:24 PM   #60
lemurmommies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Public, in an optional (free) language immersion program.
lemurmommies is offline   Reply With Quote