Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-19-2012, 11:02 AM   #1
chegarty
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
chili seasoning

I am looking to make my own seasoning for chili that I will make with ground beef and diced tomatoes. No beans. We used seasoning packets previously but Dh can't have Modified food starch...

so I have to make it from scratch which actually sounds fun.

Advertisement

Old 08-19-2012, 11:22 AM   #2
pumkinsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: chili seasoning

I recently got a taco seasoning recipe from allrecipes. It got hundreds of great reviews. I'm sure you could get one for chili seasoning. Normally what I put in my chili is 4T chili powder, 1t cumin and 1t oregano. That is for a large pan. You could cut it in half.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:09 PM   #3
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I use a recipe from allrecipes as well. I can't remember which one it is. I do remember it had the highest feedback or close to. Just hit most popular or something like that when you get the list. I looked under taco seasoning and use it for chilli. It was submitted by Bill Echols I think. I like that I can adjust it to fit our dietary needs and preferences. My husband can't have MSG because of allergies. Most if not all packages of taco seasonings have it.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 04:15 PM   #4
chegarty
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Perfect thank mama"a I also need taco seasoning too! Dh can't eat any of that anymore( pre packaged
Old 08-20-2012, 05:22 PM   #5
lakemom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just use chili powder, cumin, oregano, and salt to taste. The amounts vary depending on the size of the batch of chili but roughly 2X as much cumin as chili powder (my family prefers hearty rather than hot chili) and about the same amount of oregano as chili powder then salt to taste.
lakemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:23 PM   #6
lakemom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chegarty View Post
Perfect thank mama"a I also need taco seasoning too! Dh can't eat any of that anymore( pre packaged
taco seasoning is the same combo of chili powder, cumin, oregano, and salt. A bit of onion powder too if I didn't cook onion in with the meat to begin with. Also add in an 8oz can of tomato sauce (less for 1 lb, more if making more than 2 lb).

Last edited by lakemom; 08-21-2012 at 05:01 AM.
lakemom is offline   Reply With Quote