Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-19-2012, 01:18 PM   #1
cylverdust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Trying EC

My youngest is 18 months and we are trying EC for the first time today. I did not do it with my oldest but I think it might work with the youngest. She has went peepee in the potty once today but has not peed anywhere else. It is noon and she has only gone once ... is this normal? Is she holding?

Advertisement

cylverdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:46 PM   #2
mamaspice
Registered Users

Can you describe exactly what you mean when you say you are trying ec? Are you watching for signals? Going diaper free? Using timing?That would help us with troubleshooting.
mamaspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:01 PM   #3
cylverdust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Trying EC

diaper free, going to the potty every 30 minutes as well as watching for signals and asking her...
Old 08-19-2012, 07:14 PM   #4
hibiscus869
Registered Users

You might like the book Diaper Free Before 3. It has a chapter on doing EC with a toddler even if you've never done it before.
hibiscus869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:39 PM   #5
cylverdust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I am gonna look into that. She is physically ready but maybe she is not emotionally. If that makes sense.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:18 PM   #6
Reagansmama
Registered Users
seller

I did something similar with my first. Read diaper free before three...highly recommend it. It was great. I did lots of diaper free time, sitting on the potty, watching for signals from about 16-20 months and found that while she would sit happily on the potty she would not go in it. In fact she would hold it for hours, much like you explained. She also was not a good drinker at the time. I eventually at 20 months did something called potty boot camp. I was pushing her a bit because I was 8 months pregnant and did not want 2 in cloth! But with all the prep I did she did awesome. She just needed some stronger juice and to have a few accidents to understand what the potty was for...oh and I admit we did rewards...organic Annie's cheddar bunnies I did not want to do rewards but it was a necessity. I then started EC with m second child at about 1 month part time in hopes of avoiding the need for rewards...we'll see. So far so good she's 15 months and pees and poos in the potty fairly regularly although still doesn't signal very regularly. Sorry I rambled a little there. If you have any more questions let me know.
Reagansmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:58 AM   #7
R055ANA
Registered Users

Hi Cylverdust!

Good for you for sitting your DD on the potty. I am glad that you were able to get that 1st catch in the potty.

Since your DD is 18 months you might want to consider this as EC/potty training. Most ECers start w/ their children earlier than 18 months but many conventional potty trainers start around age 2.

I would suggest to try to get the easy pees and poos. Those are the pees like the morning wake up pee or if she has been dry for a while. If you get to her as soon as she wakes up and gently sit her on the potty you might be able to consistently get that 1st morning pee. You could even have the potty by the bed/crib so she doesn't have to be plucked away to another room. After you establish a few of these predictable catches you can start adding more and more.

I would also suggest to have her w/o a diaper either in the house in areas you don't mind getting wet (i.e. tub, kitchen) or letting her go w/o a diaper outside in the backyard. This is important so she can connect the feeling of needing to go and actually going. Diapers hide these things and then our babies aren't aware.

I remember getting my ODD to pee in the potty one morning and thinking great we are set but she did just like your DD where she didn't pee for hours even though I asked her to sit on the potty several times and then she peed all over the floor when she couldn't hold it anymore.

Just keep in mind that she has grown so accustomed to using the diaper for the last 18months and it is a huge change to have to stop what you are doing and remember to go use the potty before it is too late. So try to help her realized her need to go before it's too late and explain about how you and others you know use the bathroom.

Keep us posted and feel free to ask us more questions.

Best wishes!
R055ANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:55 PM   #8
Mom2jandb
Registered Users
seller
seller

My ODD (3yo and potty independent) can go a LONG time between pees. I think yesterday she went six hours. I don't think she drinks enough water, but to answer your question, they can go longer than you think without needing to go!
Mom2jandb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:00 PM   #9
cylverdust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

She turns 2 this month, and wants to wear the cloth pull-ups but is not interested in the potty. So I am just trying to get her sit on it a few times a day but if she does not want to, I am not pushing. I let her go diaper free usually for about an hour a day. I am pretty sure the other day she told me she wanted a diaper.. and peed in it..