Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-19-2012, 09:44 PM   #1
milosmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
EBF 3 month old all of the sudden not pooping !?!

I am starting to get concerned.... My 3 month old caught my 4 year old sons mild cold a few days ago and I am not sure if it is connected or not, but she hasn't pooped in 3-4 days. She went from at least 1, but usually 2-4 poops a day to none. She is EBF, and a big feeder at that, and her appetite is as ferocious as ever. She doesn't seem to be in pain or really even uncomfortable, a little fussy and irritated because of the cold but nothing too major. I just don't know where all that poo poo is? I know different babies start to regulate thier digestive systems and bowel movements at different times but this seems like such a drastic change. Her stomach isn't hard or distended, and she is passing gas and has had a few very minor "streaks" at diaper change, but nothing even close to her normal. I think I will call the Dr. tomorrow morning if we don't see anything before then, but has anyone else experienced this? Thanks for any input!

Advertisement

milosmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:50 PM   #2
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:
It's not uncommon for EBF babes to go once a week, or less. They can absorb all of the nutrients in your milk, and resulting poop is just what they don't process (as far as I know). However, I'm a firm believer in what is normal for /your/ child. If babe normally poops more often, I may get concerned after a while. DS was switched to formula and even then his ped wouldn't even consider it an issue until 5+ days.

Any hinting at a growth spurt?

Babe may be retaining all of the nutrients from your milk to heal from the cold, also.

But if you're concerned, I would call. Is your ped familiar with EBF bodily functions? I've heard some wonky wrong things from ones that aren't.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum
Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:00 PM   #3
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: EBF 3 month old all of the sudden not pooping !?!

Same as the previous poster. Just make sure your Ped knows what is normal for a breastfed baby. I had a doctors say that if his baby ever went more than 48 hours without a poop he would give the baby an enima. So just make sure Dr. Knows what is what.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:08 PM   #4
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

I can't remember at what point from the newborn stage when my son started pooping less, but I clearly remember him being a baby and only pooping every 7-8 days. And when we got to day 7 with no poop, there was no going out because once it came out, it was several days' worth! It was normal for us.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:19 PM   #5
Laylas_Mom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My EBF DD went 14 days one time! It was a span of about two months when she was maybe 5 or so months old where she just went 10-12 days on average without pooping. But as pp stated, when it comes, watch out! It's everywhere! If you get super worried and just want to get it going, you could cut a child's suppository in half and do that. I used a suppository for DD once because I was so worried and the doc suggested it after 10 days. When she started some solids it regulated out again and we're back to daily poops.

ETA: I've always been told that EBF babies cannot be constipated. That it's impossible for them to not be able to go poop because of the composition of BM. And that the length of time between pooping does not constitute constipation but the consistency of the poop itself. Hard, pellet like poop is the definition of constipation.

(.Y.)exclusive pumper alumni(.Y.)
member of BWI of Hampton Roads, ask me about babywearing!

Last edited by Laylas_Mom; 08-19-2012 at 10:22 PM.
Laylas_Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:33 PM   #6
nebraskamom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Been there. DD would absorb a ton of the nutrients and not poop for a week. For us it was in spurts, usually before a growth spurt. You can call your pedi to confirm, but I remember it being "normal" according to our doctor.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:35 PM   #7
jenndoxx
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laylas_Mom View Post
My EBF DD went 14 days one time! It was a span of about two months when she was maybe 5 or so months old where she just went 10-12 days on average without pooping. But as pp stated, when it comes, watch out! It's everywhere! If you get super worried and just want to get it going, you could cut a child's suppository in half and do that. I used a suppository for DD once because I was so worried and the doc suggested it after 10 days. When she started some solids it regulated out again and we're back to daily poops.
This was normal for both my boys around that age. Usually closer to 7 days, but my 2nd one would often go longer. I think I took their temperature rectally a couple times when it got close to the 2 weeks point, but really, I say just enjoy the long breaks between poops Maybe it was just my babies <<TMI warning>> but when they finally pooped, it seemed like a half-gallon of cake-batter-consistency poop and not a formed stool at all.

Jenn
Mom to two little boys

Last edited by jenndoxx; 08-19-2012 at 10:37 PM.
jenndoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:38 PM   #8
milosmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for all the input Mamas!
Your posts are pretty much what my gut has been saying, but I am a worry-wart mama. I mostly started to get concerned because it switched up so drastically, there wasn't any every other day poops, then every 3 or 4 days, etc. I also had heard that EBF babies can't really get constipated and she isn't upset about it so I think I will just wait it out. It makes tons of sense that she might be needing the extra nutrients that she ususally poops out to deal with recovering from her cold. Also, the way this one eats, she probably had so much poo before because she is a piggy! couldn't possibly absorb all that beastmilk.
Thanks!
milosmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:50 PM   #9
SarahS12
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychomom
I can't remember at what point from the newborn stage when my son started pooping less, but I clearly remember him being a baby and only pooping every 7-8 days. And when we got to day 7 with no poop, there was no going out because once it came out, it was several days' worth! It was normal for us.
Exactly this! DS started this around 4 months and he used to be a constant pooper.
SarahS12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:59 AM   #10
bmacnak
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My ds was opposite this. He was from the beginning (after merconium) an every 2-3 day pooper. And recently within the past week he has started everyday some times 2-3 times in a day! Weird!! Anyways he is doing just fine so I don't worry.
Bethany, married to the man that makes me smile . Stay at home mom and homeschooler to my three wild and crazy boys! Bryson 9yrs, my comedian Noah, 4yrs and new booby man, Sonny, 8 months . Living our beautiful but crazy free- range, natural hippie lifestyle!)
bmacnak is offline   Reply With Quote