Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-20-2012, 12:27 PM   #21
SamanthaLove88
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: I don't want her to go to school :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_to_DJM View Post
Are you 100% set on sending her? Because to me, I would just keep her home! This is coming from a homeschooling mom though... My DD is almost 4 also, and I couldn't imagine sending her away yet. Just a thought. If you're set on sending her though, I'm sure everything will work out fine.
See, I don't know. I know people homeschool all of their kids but I feel kinda dumb saying this...I don't know how! I have her, she's 4 then I have a 2 year old and an 8 month old. Is it like a regular day of schooling but at home? I know people do it but how with other kids running around?! I was thinking about it but didn't know how much time I'd be able to devote into it with them to take care of as well. All of my family members including my husband work all day too

Advertisement

Old 08-20-2012, 02:15 PM   #22
linz2491
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_to_DJM
Are you 100% set on sending her? Because to me, I would just keep her home! This is coming from a homeschooling mom though... My DD is almost 4 also, and I couldn't imagine sending her away yet. Just a thought. If you're set on sending her though, I'm sure everything will work out fine.

This is my thoughts as well. I am also a homeschooling mama and I can not imagine sending my 4 (or 6) year old away all day. Nor do I think it is necessary. If you feel this way, keep her home! Don't go against your mama instinct. You can do playdate and co op groups so she gets around more kids but honestly she has a lifetime to meet people and go off. She is still just a baby really. (at least to me)
Lindsay, mom to intact boys Aidan 12 Roan 7 and Gabby Rose 5 :no longer breastfeeding, or cloth diapering, sometimes co sleeping, had 2 unassisted home births, but still non vaxing, unassisted home birthing and home schooling
linz2491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:16 PM   #23
mama_to_DJM
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamanthaLove88 View Post
See, I don't know. I know people homeschool all of their kids but I feel kinda dumb saying this...I don't know how! I have her, she's 4 then I have a 2 year old and an 8 month old. Is it like a regular day of schooling but at home? I know people do it but how with other kids running around?! I was thinking about it but didn't know how much time I'd be able to devote into it with them to take care of as well. All of my family members including my husband work all day too
When I started hs'ing my oldest, my kids were 5, 3, and 9 months. I understand the challenge of doing school with multiple kids! I didn't know how either, but I just stuck with it, and we're about to start year #4. One thing to remember is that you do save time by teaching them at home- there's no transportation to/from school, less time transitioning between activities, etc. Especially in the lower grades (like what I've done so far, K-2), it only takes maybe 2 to 3 hours of dedicated learning time. I used to be able to get some of that done during my youngest's naptime, or I have DH do an activity with them after dinner, plus the weekends, etc. And, you don't have homework on top of them being gone for most the day- I've heard that's a big challenge!

Let me know if you have any other questions. HS'ing isn't necessarily easy, but it's do-able, and can be a really good option.

My cooking blog- http://michellesnewrecipes.blogspot.com/
mama_to_DJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:50 PM   #24
mg5g
Self Ban

My Mood:

Quote:
If you are interested you CAN DO IT Homeschool preschool, even K and grade 1 is EASY. We are starting pre-k this year - I am doing two days a week for maybe an hour on academics and a drop in play group. I am using hooked on phonics pre-k kit - just because I happen to have one already. But you can HD pre-k for free with things found online. Shapes, colours, numbers, and the alaphabet are the big ones with some time hanging out with other kids to do gross motor stuff. Most kids can learn this with just a little bit of time from mama. I say "most" because if your LO has special needs then it can be harder but still not impossible. I'll be HSing a preschool, a SN and a grade 5 - plus having a toddler and infant. You just work around the other kids You can even start working with your other babies too while doing things like shapes and colours.
mg5g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:31 PM   #25
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

OP, all parents have these feelings at first, but they learn to trust others to do what they are supposed to do and learn to trust their decision to send their children to a place of learning. It's also harder for some to realize that they are not their child's entire world and that other people are capable of stepping in and temporarily filling their child's needs.

I had a hard time with it at first until I realized that I was not really thinking of my own son. I was thinking about my own need to be "the one" for him. In my mind, I was the only one who could care for him, protect him, teach him, and love him "the best." I had a need to be the best mother to him and part of that involved this notion that I had to do it all for him. Then I realized all of the things he would be missing out on was learning to trust other people, learning which ones not to trust, learning to deal with other people who don't understand him the way I do, etc. Once I began focusing on what he needed to learn instead of what I needed to do, it got a lot easier to let go and not stress so much about him being away from me.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:05 PM   #26
mommycass
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
I homeschool with my 8,4,19month old, and one on the way. With my 8 yr old, he reads so can do some self taught subjects. Textbooks and worksheets and I help or do projects, etc... My husband does math with him in the evenings now to, to help out a little.
Preschool is simple and my kids learn a lot on starfall.com. I have an activity book for a year of learning fun for a 4 yr old. Also, there are simple things to do that teach them."Let's find circles around the house", "How many socks came out of the dryer, let's find matches." Can you find something with the letter A on it?".
Writing letters with sidewalk chalk
Fingerpainting
Counting things while shopping, cleaning, etc...
So many things to work into your daily tasks easily.
I didn't know I was going to homeschool until my son turned 5 and I just didn't feel right about sending him to school. You dont have to be super smart. Creativity helps but lots of curriculum actually tells you how to teach lessons. You probably don't need curriculum for preschool. You can find writing paper and workbooks at Walmart.
Just do whatever you feel is best but don't be intimidated by either
mommycass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:22 PM   #27
ashley84
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I know I will be in your shoes, mama! It's a year or two off for us, but it's going to be so hard for me when DS starts school. He is my whole world. I know he will love school and I'll adjust in time, but it's still hard to breath when I think about it.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:45 PM   #28
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

Cross one bridge at a time. My dd is 8 and has never had her feelings significantly hurt in all the years she's been in school and daycare. Most kids are lovely. Just like your dd! Why wouldn't they be?! If something happens teach her how to deal with it. No different than if you homeschool - either way you are raising a future adult and that is a skill they need.

And at age 4, for the most part, they are beyond the random hitting and things that toddlers do. They play together pretty well and are starting to make 'friends'. She'll probably think school is great fun and have a great time. Most girls really do like school.
isabelsmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:05 PM   #29
fish3737
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Is there other options for preschool that would make you feel more comfortable?

My kids go to a co-op preschool so I parent help and am involved in the classroom along with the teacher.

The kids know the parents and the parents know the kids and the teacher. It has been a great learning experience for all of us.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:25 PM   #30
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

(((HUGS))) I completely understand where you are coming from. I feel the same way, but we have to let them go and experience life outside. They need to experience all types of people and learn how to handle/deal with them and situations they wouldn't be in at home. They will have to learn it some time in their life and it is easier for them at a younger age. Yes, some preschooler's can be mean, but imagine the difference between a 4 year old and a 14 year old?

DD1 is going into 3rd grade and I still have a hard time every time she gets on the school bus. BUT, I also know that she is fine......her teachers have all been great and the behavior you mentioned would not be tolerated anywhere.