Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-20-2012, 07:29 AM   #1
mommycass
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
At what age did you allow your child to stay home alone?

My son is 8 and he pesters me about letting him stay home while I run to the grocery that's 2 blocks away. I have thought about it but don't believe he's old enough. Plus, he wouldn't have a phone. I was 11.
Just curious, at what ages did you allow your child to stay home.

It's kind of cute though because he goes through this whole speech of how it'll be easier for ME and he will watch one of his sisters. He plans out what they're going play and have for snack, etc... Then he gets upset that I'm treating him like a little kid. Ummm...I thought he was a little kid still, why does he have to try to grow up so fast:'(

Advertisement

mommycass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:43 AM   #2
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: At what age did you allow your child to stay home alone?

I don't have kids that age, but for under half an hour or so my mom started leaving me when I was 9 or 10. At 11 she started trusting me to watch my brother, again for short periods. At 12 I started babysitting other peoples kids for 4-5 hour streches. I may have started babysitting at 11 a little but I really did a lot once I was 12, I took a red cross babysitting class. You might check that out for him to take. Also, we always had a home phone.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:45 AM   #3
Pampered Mama
Registered Users
Formerly: JASMommy
seller
seller

My Mood:

My oldest was almost 12 before we let her stay home alone, and even then, it was only for a short time. She used to pester us too, but we were just firm with her, and told her that there are a lot of things that can happen by accident that they are not yet prepared to handle on their own. Even if mom & dad are just a phone call away, there are instances that "a phone call away" could mean life or death, or serious bodily harm.

Pampered Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:51 AM   #4
missydawn
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Mine was 10 when I would leave him home alone if I went on walks or dropped off a bill in our area, we live 20 miles outside of town in a small community. He was 11 before I let him stay home alone when I ran into town for a quick errand. We have been slowly adding alone time and baby-sitting the younger ones if I doing a quick trip to the gas station in our community. He has a phone it is a must. If he doesn't then he can't stay. I want him to be able to call me if he is scared or anything.
missydawn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:55 AM   #5
kbz2002
Registered Users
seller
seller

I haven't even thought about it yet because dd is only 4. My guess is that it would depend on how mature she is, how long I'm gone and how quickly I could get back to the house. Knowing my 4 year old now, if she continues down the same path she'll be very responsible at age 8 and if I'm going two blocks to pick up milk, I would be okay with it. I probably wouldn't let her watch the other child though.

I'm curious though on responses so I'm subbing.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:00 AM   #6
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was 10 before I stayed home alone for short periods of time. I suspect dd1 will need to be at least that to stay home alone. We live in a tiny town so there isn't much we can do here in town so that makes a difference. For a lot of stuff a quick run in and out trip involves driving 15-20 minutes to the next town so when I drive down there I usually run multiple errands and am gone 2-3 hours (for a fast trip). But for a 5 minute trip to get gas at the gas station I'd probably leave her around 10ish. But we also have younger kids so I'd still continue to wait until dh is heading home from work and tell him to stop and get it for me so I don't have to drag the kids with me.
Rhianna'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:09 AM   #7
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Mrs_Brady
seller
seller

hmm oldest dd is 10 and she has not stayed home alone. I don't know when I will feel comfortable with it..probably b/c her and my 9 y.o fight constantly and I'm afraid of what they'd do to each other alone~ and it would cause tons of drama if just her stayed...so it'll be a while, until the oldest 2 get more mature
Old 08-20-2012, 08:14 AM   #8
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

My brother & I started about the time we started walking to school. I think 8ish but we lived in small town where we knew almost everyone like 1500 people. My oldest now will open up door for anyone so probably wait ( almost 8) til I knowshe won't just open door to all.
abunchoflemons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:22 AM   #9
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

I was 8, putting myself on the bus, going home after school. I wasn't allowed to watch my younger sister until I was 11.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:33 AM   #10
MommyMeads
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

In the state of CA they have age suggestions. They suggest at age 8 a child can be left alone for short periods of time during the day and at age 12 they can be left alone to babysit(someone under age 8).

I wouldn't leave him home without a phone. What if something happened? But maybe leaving him home alone by himself for short trips would be fine. I don't know about watching a younger child though 8 seems kind of young to babysit.