Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-20-2012, 09:46 AM   #1
jessca06
Registered Users
seller
seller

am I wrong here? pediatrician did something without asking and now wants me to pay...

DS is now almost 3 months old. When he was 2 weeks old, I took him to our previous pediatrician for his 2 week check up. His cord had fallen off at around a week old. There was some dried blood on his belly button when I took him in to the pediatrician.

She was looking at it and then got a bottle and a q-tip and started putting it on. She then told me what it was. I should have stopped her but she did it so quickly that there wasn't even any time to say anything. It was done. I wasn't happy about it and that along with another reason (the newborn paper they sent home with me said to retract foreskin which is incorrect and really worried me that they didn't know that) was why I then switched pediatricians.

I just got a bill in the mail for the silver nitrate. My insurance covered it but they're charging me a $30 co-pay. We don't have a co-pay for checkups so they're charging it because the silver nitrate was put on.

I called the dr's office and explained why I was unhappy that I wasn't told before it was done, etc. The lady said that the procedure was done so I owe for it....

Am I wrong here?

Advertisement

jessca06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:51 AM   #2
naomi's mama
Registered Users
seller

Re: am I wrong here? pediatrician did something without asking and now wants me to pa

Sorry, I agree. You should pay for it. Maybe there's a reason why you shouldn't leave dried blood on it. She had stuff to kill the bacteria, and thought it was appropriate and necessary. If she didn't do it, and your LO got an infection, you'd be more upset, I'd think.
naomi's mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:52 AM   #3
jessca06
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: am I wrong here? pediatrician did something without asking and now wants me to pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by naomi's mama View Post
Sorry, I agree. You should pay for it. Maybe there's a reason why you shouldn't leave dried blood on it. She had stuff to kill the bacteria, and thought it was appropriate and necessary. If she didn't do it, and your LO got an infection, you'd be more upset, I'd think.
I would've done something different than silver nitrate. I've read some bad things about it (burning, etc.) and didn't want it used.
jessca06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:53 AM   #4
remrath
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

call and speak to the office mgr & raise holy hell
You did not want it, you did not authorize it, and you're not going to pay for it!
I'm going to come over to your house and wash one of your windows then tell you to pay for it. What? You don't want to pay? Didn't authorize it?
And while your at it pull up something from the american academy of pediatrics regarding foreskin. I refused to pay an OB b/c they ran STD testing on me without my knowledge or permission. They essentially "dissolved" most of the bill. I think I ended up paying less than I should have.

If you let it be known that they didn't have permission, that's very bad for them. That's violating your rights I think.

ETA: I got a profuse apology as well
Wife to Nick, 10 years now. Mom to Lydia (c/s) 6/6/07, Arwen (HBAC) 6/3/09, Silas (HBAC) 7/2/12 and Archer HBAC 10/15/14. Jesus loving, CDing, BFing, non vaxing , homeschooling SAHM who loves my new community is Spring Hill, TN
remrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:55 AM   #5
averinriansmeme
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My c-section came open and they put silver nitrate on it and OMG the burning and pain had me crying and I have a very high pain tolerance. It hurt worse then them opening the part that was open up more and digging around. I would just pay the co-pay since it was over with but I wouldn't be to happy.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:07 AM   #6
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would not pay for it because it was at the least unnecessary and possibly painful. I have not read that it it's necessary to put anything on the cord stump or belly button.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:07 AM   #7
I_run_with_scissors
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would not be happy, nor would i want to pay for something that i did not want/approve, id call back and complain more, also call your insurance company and tell them what happened (if you havent already)
TTC #4
I_run_with_scissors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:14 AM   #8
jjgammon
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
When DS's cord stump came off super early all they told me to do was keep it clean and keep an eye on it for signs of infection.

I personally could not afford an extra $30 for something unnecesary the doctor decided to do without consulting me, so I would definitely call and raise hell.

Sent from my old beater Android with no phone service because we're THAT broke.
My ISO/IHA thread
jjgammon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:14 AM   #9
JamieJLD
Registered Users
seller
seller

Last year I went to the dentist and the hygienist told me about this special oral cancer screening she could do that was covered by my insurance. I said, "well if it is covered then okay." A month later I got a bill for $50 for the screening. It turns out my insurance did NOT cover it.

I called the dentist's office and told the office manager that I was not going to pay for a test that I would have refused if I had known it had additional cost for me! It was the hygienist's mistake and I thought the dentist should cover it. They gave me a little trouble but I held firm and they eventually agreed to wave the payment.

I'd call and talk to the office manager. The pediatrician should have explained the procedure to you before she did it!! For billing purposes and to give you a chance to say yes or no.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:14 AM   #10
JamieJLD
Registered Users
seller
seller

DP

Last edited by JamieJLD; 08-20-2012 at 10:15 AM.
JamieJLD is offline   Reply With Quote