Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-20-2012, 10:34 AM   #11
TypeAMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Di**ae
seller

My Mood:
Re: am I wrong here? pediatrician did something without asking and now wants me to pa

If it was a well child visit, just let them know that you thought there wasn't going to be a copay because you didn't realize that they were going to bill it as a well child visit AND a sick visit. In the end, if it's the place that you transferred out of already, you might be less stressed if you just pay the $30 and move on. I would have a hard time paying it, too, but it might be worth lessening your stress level. Good luck.

Advertisement

Slave to my
TypeAMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:39 AM   #12
MamaJules
Registered Users
seller

Re: am I wrong here? pediatrician did something without asking and now wants me to pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeAMom View Post
If it was a well child visit, just let them know that you thought there wasn't going to be a copay because you didn't realize that they were going to bill it as a well child visit AND a sick visit. In the end, if it's the place that you transferred out of already, you might be less stressed if you just pay the $30 and move on. I would have a hard time paying it, too, but it might be worth lessening your stress level. Good luck.
At one of DS2's well visits, the pedi was feeling his tummy and thought his spleen might be in the wrong location. She felt a little more, then told us to take him for an ultrasound. Because of that, they were able to charge it as both a well visit AND a sick visit. So frustrating. We don't pay for well visits, so I was quite surprised to get a bill in the mail. If she had told us there would be a charge, I would have gone ahead and told her to do it anyway, so in the end I paid the bill. But in your case, when if the pedi had asked you you would have said no, I would go up the ladder a bit. Maybe call your insurance and see what they say?
Old 08-20-2012, 10:42 AM   #13
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I wouldn't pay. You didn't authorize it. You don't pay.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:18 AM   #14
jessca06
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thank you all. I called my insurance company. They said that all they can do is put a note in my file.

I'm waiting on the doctor's office to call me back again.
jessca06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:06 PM   #15
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yup, you have to pay.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:20 PM   #16
gigismomma
Registered Users
seller

Was the base of the cord oozing or still bleeding a little?
gigismomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:29 PM   #17
jessca06
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigismomma View Post
Was the base of the cord oozing or still bleeding a little?
No. The cord had fallen off. There was only a small amount of dried blood. It wasn't bleeding or oozing at all.
jessca06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:00 PM   #18
mommasave36
Registered Users
seller

I have an outstanding bill from my pedi too, from a similar incident. I'm not going to pay and its only $12!! What if it was $100? It's not fair to do a procedure when it isn't authorized. Yes, we want quality care for our children but to go out of the bounds of a normal well visit without first notifying the parent seems a bit wrong IMO.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:40 PM   #19
gigismomma
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessca06 View Post
No. The cord had fallen off. There was only a small amount of dried blood. It wasn't bleeding or oozing at all.
OK, then I would question why it was done in the first place, too.
My daughter had that done (I wish I knew it was painful......it may have made me reconsider!) when she was a few weeks old. But her stump was still bleeding even a week after her cord fell off (blood spots on her onesies every day)......she has a super deep belly button and it just wasn't drying out. So I took her in for that reason, and they used the silver nitrate.

It wouldn't hurt to complain to the doctor, but unfortunately I think you will have to pay.
gigismomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:51 PM   #20
BSWmama
Registered Users
seller

For thirty dollars, I'd just pay and move on. (I also think you do owe the doctor as you took your child to the doctor and were present when they cleaned the belly button. I have NEVER had a doctor say, "This procedure will cost you $x - do you want me to proceed?" Doctors don't even know how much stuff ends up costing you.) You probably can get them to waive payment, but you'll likely end up making less than minimum wage on the time you invest in this project by the time you make phone calls, write letters, etc.
BSWmama is offline   Reply With Quote