Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-20-2012, 08:53 PM   #21
ExpatMama1990
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I think that is out of order. I would call and say (in these exact words) "I did not consent to this procedure" and refuse to pay for it.

Advertisement

Old 08-20-2012, 09:01 PM   #22
s@hmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: am I wrong here? pediatrician did something without asking and now wants me to pa

I would try to get it worked out nicely because kindness goes a long way in a dr.s billing department. They talk to unhappy people often and can get pretty use to it, so fussing at them may not help your situation. Kill em with kindness! I know at my old office those were the people that usually got their ways!
s@hmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:30 PM   #23
WildflowerCB
Registered Users
Formerly: ri814146
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: am I wrong here? pediatrician did something without asking and now wants me to pa

I wouldn't pay it and I don't understand the people who are saying that you should! When you go to a pedi they ask you, and I have to sign prior to receiving a vaccination. They should not have applied a medication to your child without your consent. As others have said stress the no consent. Good luck, my grandmas insurance paid for an expensive imaging procedure that her dr. never even ordered! The hospital took in the wrong patient, scary!!!!
Old 08-20-2012, 09:36 PM   #24
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

If you were present, and she put stuff on it in your presence, I think you will have a hard time fighting it. My doc has never said to me--putting this on here will bill as a procedure. The doc has no idea what your insurance does or does not cover. For us, DS has free everything due to his disability, and we have an $8,000 deductible for DD and DD2. So the doc really has no way of knowing what anything will cost for my daughters.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:01 PM   #25
Chasing Zen
Registered Users
Formerly: ccsmom11
seller

My Mood:

Hold your ground Mama! You didn't give consent.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:05 PM   #26
AfWife8405
Registered Users
seller
seller

I don't really see the issue being whether or not the doctor told her what he/she was doing would cost her money. I think the issue is that they applied a medication without asking for permission, explaining why there were doing it, any reactions to look for, whether she had any questions, etc. This was a problem for the OP before she got the bill and it is at least part of the reason she switched doctors. The bill only adds insult to injury and I would certainly NOT pay it.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:30 AM   #27
jessca06
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfWife8405 View Post
I don't really see the issue being whether or not the doctor told her what he/she was doing would cost her money. I think the issue is that they applied a medication without asking for permission, explaining why there were doing it, any reactions to look for, whether she had any questions, etc. This was a problem for the OP before she got the bill and it is at least part of the reason she switched doctors. The bill only adds insult to injury and I would certainly NOT pay it.
Yes, this is my main concern. I would expect a doctor to say something like "his belly button concerns me (but I don't know why it would because it showed no signs of infection at all) and I would like to put silver nitrate on it, is that ok with you?" I would have wanted and expected the doctor to tell me what my options were and what alternatives were, address my concerns when I would've then asked her why it was necessary with no signs of infection, etc.

I wish I would have stopped her but it really happened very quickly and I expected her to say something before doing it. I had no idea what was in the container when she grabbed it. I didn't think that a doctor would do something without asking me or at least telling me first. My son was on the table at the time and I was standing by him so that he wouldn't fall and my 2 year old was sitting on the table as well and I was holding her up there because she wanted to see what was happening so at the moment, I was probably more focused on my daughter. I never thought something would be done without my consent.

Last edited by jessca06; 08-21-2012 at 06:31 AM.
jessca06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:39 AM   #28
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:

I remember once I had taken my dd in for something and she had a fever of around 100. The nurse left the room and came back with something in a cup and started to give it to dd. I stopped her and said, "what are you giving her?" She replied, "oh just some acetaminaphine." To which I replied, "You didn't ask me and that's not ok. And I don't medicate for a fever that low so please take it away."

The look on that nurse's face was priceless. I really think you should have stopped her. I know you said it happened fast, but I think you could have put out an arm to stop her and at least get your two cents in. Since you WERE standing there and didn't stop her, I think that they are not going to drop it.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:55 AM   #29
blueswirl
Registered Users

I think since you were right there and she did speak to you about it, even though it happened fast, you are giving implied consent. You should have asked her to stop and explain if you didn't understand thoroughly. I would pay.
blueswirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:00 AM   #30
jessca06
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueswirl View Post
I think since you were right there and she did speak to you about it, even though it happened fast, you are giving implied consent. You should have asked her to stop and explain if you didn't understand thoroughly. I would pay.
I might end up having to pay. She didn't say a word to me about it until the silver nitrate was already on his belly button. Then it was already done.
jessca06 is offline   Reply With Quote