Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-20-2012, 12:21 PM   #1
Sarahknavy
Registered Users
seller

Epi?

Were you "required" to get an epi for your VBAC? Did you get out if it? Did you have to fight?

Advertisement

Old 08-20-2012, 12:48 PM   #2
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: Epi?

Vbac? I can't find in acronymn list. In any vaginal delivery epi should b optional if u want. Mine is only offered if mom wnts.
abunchoflemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:53 PM   #3
Sarahknavy
Registered Users
seller

VBAC - vaginal birth after cesarian. It's a medical acronym not a DS one
Old 08-20-2012, 01:03 PM   #4
Hitchkids
Registered Users

Nope, I've had 8 VBAC's and have never been required to get an epi. I'd refuse one if they tried to push it because they can hinder the progress of labor and help lead to a c-section.
Hitchkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:09 PM   #5
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchkids
Nope, I've had 8 VBAC's and have never been required to get an epi. I'd refuse one if they tried to push it because they can hinder the progress of labor and help lead to a c-section.
What resource do you have that shares this risk? I've heard it said a lot but never seen it in medical literature.

BTW: I had a home vbac so no epi for me. I didn't want one anyway bc I wanted to have freedom to move and change positions, especially during pushing. I have seen hospitals allow women a low dose epi so theyre actually still walking around with the remote monitors and everything. But I've also seen hospitals where epi = you're stuck in bed, period. I think it depends on how many staff they have (you'd need more individual attention with a walking epi), and their own preference and beliefs.
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:04 PM   #6
shan1212
Registered Users
seller

My friend whose husband is an anesthesiologist was pregnant with number #2 at the same time as me. We both had c-sections with our first and were comparing notes. I had a VBAC and she had a repeat C. She told me that her husband said I *had* to have an epidural, and I pressed her for more info. Why? Because of the risk of uterine rupture? Finally she admitted that it was because it's easier for them if you already have the line in and need surgery. That way they don't have to be quite as ready to drop everything if surgery is called for. I'm sort of reading between the lines so I might have it a bit wrong, but that was the impression I got. And that's bogus because c-section rates for VBAC and first time mothers are about the same!

I was not required to have an epi. In fact, the midwives asked me to agree to go as naturally as possible. But I did get one at 10cm when I wasn't tolerating the pain well. (Another lie that you can't get one that late!)
Old 08-23-2012, 01:38 PM   #7
ecotwinmom
Registered Users
seller

The hospital staff tried to tell me I "had" to have an epidural for the delivery of my twins "just in case" I needed a section for the second baby. I didn't, but had to deliver in the surgical suite, with the understanding that if I needed a section I would have general anesthesia.
ecotwinmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 06:31 AM   #8
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

No. I opted for an epi with my VBAC once the pain got too much for my exhausted self to manage anymore, but no one brought it up as anything resembling a requirement for a VBAC. In fact I was adamant I didn't want one up until that point, and everyone was more than fine with it.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:18 PM   #9
Mamatoabunch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've had 9 VBACs, all at home, so of course no epi.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:37 AM   #10
ambie719
Registered Users
seller
seller

No it was not mandatory for me. I did get one with my vbac because DS2 was posterior and I couldn't handle the back labor, but it in no way hindered my vbac.