Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-20-2012, 12:44 PM   #1
carolineb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Need MAJOR help for lunch ideas for a REALLY picky eater!

DS is entering 2nd grade and going to school for the first time. We did HS until now. Anyway, he'll be there all day obviously and I need to pack him a lunch. I have NO idea what to pack. He will barely eat a pb&j, but I can't pack that for him every day. I know it would get old. I might let him buy lunch once a week, on a day they have hamburgers, because he does love them. Other than that, I'd like to pack a healthy lunch but he's SOOOOOO picky. He doesn't eat many fruits or veggies, but he also doesn't eat much junk either. He doesn't like goldfish crackers or chips or things like that. Many days he skips lunch at home because I offer things to make him and he turns them all down, so he just doesn't get lunch. Unless there's leftovers from a dinner that he likes (like spaghetti, beef stroganoff, etc). So, I know that days I might have leftovers I could potentially pack that, but how can I get it warm and stay warm for his lunch?

He won't eat a turkey sandwich, he won't eat apples, carrot sticks, nothing like that. I'd like to avoid any of those processed lunchable things but I have no idea what to make for him. (There's a pizza one he likes). He starts in 2 weeks! ACK!!!

Advertisement

Old 08-20-2012, 12:51 PM   #2
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Need MAJOR help for lunch ideas for a REALLY picky eater!

A few weeks ago, Target had little Thermos brand insulated containers on sale for $12. I balked at the price a little but decided to pick one up, figuring it would really open up our lunch box options.

I tested it out with chili the other night. Put it in there at 6 pm and when I opened it up again at 9:30, it was still really, really warm.

ETA: I've been searching high and low for "ideas," too and one thing I keep seeing is that you have to give all foods a test run at home. So no surprises in the lunch box. Unless it's a cookie, I suppose. LOL

Last edited by badmisterkitty; 08-20-2012 at 12:54 PM.
badmisterkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:05 PM   #3
Lifeisjoy
Registered Users
Formerly: Chatt-townmommy
seller
seller

My Mood:
You can make your own lunnchables using your own stuff, ex, pizza. Buy the little flat bread rounds, ppizza sauce toppings. Pack in a bento type container..same with other lunchabless he likes. And for food warm, yes a thermos and its fine to eat at room temp. Loook up ' weelicious ' on facebook. She posts everyday a lunch she makes for her son..pretty neat.
Mama to Malachi(12/31/08) and Micah(8/13/11) and with #3!
Lifeisjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:32 PM   #4
carolineb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks!! I think he likes chicken noodle soup, so I figure I can do that some, too. Guess I better make a trip to Target for a Thermos!
Old 08-20-2012, 01:38 PM   #5
*KaiMom*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My picky eater eats granola bars, fruit leathers and a capri sun. That's it for lunch....yah not that healthy but I try. I got so fed up spending time packing a lunch and then the food going to waste that I now keep healthy "easy" food for him to pack his own lunch. He also brings something for a snack at school like pretzels or something. I'd focus more on food at home and keep school food simple.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:42 PM   #6
HappyEarthCreations
Registered Users
Formerly: wonder1one
seller

I second those Thermos food jars. My daughter loves hers and has been using it for 3 years now and it still keeps her food hot. If your son likes leftovers you can just reheat whatever you had for dinner the night before, stick it in the food jar and he's good to go.
HappyEarthCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:11 PM   #7
carolineb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by *KaiMom*
My picky eater eats granola bars, fruit leathers and a capri sun. That's it for lunch....yah not that healthy but I try. I got so fed up spending time packing a lunch and then the food going to waste that I now keep healthy "easy" food for him to pack his own lunch. He also brings something for a snack at school like pretzels or something. I'd focus more on food at home and keep school food simple.
He won't even eat granola bars! And only certain leftovers he will eat. He's a challenge. I just don't want him getting hungry and grumpy at school and not do well. He does like hard boiled eggs so I'm sure I'll be packing lots of those!
Old 08-20-2012, 03:19 PM   #8
NevadaMama
Registered Users
Formerly: danandsassy
seller

My Mood:

I have a picky eater too I make these for her all the time and she loves them, we call them "Square Cookies". If your DS is a cookie fan he might dig them, try using stuff that you know he likes:

"Square Cookies"

2 c. rolled oats
3/4 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. wheat germ or ground flax seed
1 c. whole wheat flour
1 tsp. each salt & cinnamon
1/2 c. honey
1/2 c. applesauce
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla (optional)
1 heaping cup of "stuff" - trail mix, raisins, nuts, coconut, chocolate chips, whatever!

Preheat oven to 350, grease a 13x9 baking pan or line with parchment paper.

In a bowl, mix the oats, brown sugar, wheat germ, cinnamon, flour, and salt. Mix in the honey, applesauce, and egg. Fold in the cup of "stuff" with a spatula. Pat the mixture evenly into the pan, and bake for about 30 mins.

Let cool for 5 minutes, then cut into squares while still warm - if you let them cool too long they'll be hard to cut. Cool completely on a wire rack. Store in an airtight container. You can add more or less applesauce to make them harder (like Nature Valley) or softer (like a cookie).

PS - DD's favorite add-ins are diced apples, walnuts, and raisins
NevadaMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:41 PM   #9
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

The other problem is that school lunch is really fast. The kids barely sit down, and they are sent away again. Even if they didn't finish eating.

Don's spend a lot on a thermous, because kids lose them a few times a year. They lose the whole lunchbox actually. So, don't buy anything that will break your heart if he loses it.

Look on Pinterest for kids lunchbox ideas.

What about making your own lunchables?

Ziplock, rubbermade etc makes those divided three part lunch containers (next to the baggies and foil wrap) and it's inexpensive, and easy to use. He can eat fast and simple, then just close it and throw it back in his lunch box when he's done.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:55 PM   #10
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I was going to suggest the thermos too. I bought one for a friend who has a son with severe allergies. I bought the "grown-up" one from the camping dept. at Walmart. It is steel with a black lid. They LOVE it.