Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-21-2012, 12:43 PM   #21
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Things you need to get

I really don't need anything because this is my 3rd, unless it's a girl then I'll need girl clothes. But I am having some friends knit me some sweaters, hats and booties and I think I'll get a few more NB and small diapers too.

Advertisement

JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:23 PM   #22
mandymatus
Registered Users

My Mood:

we will need boy clothes...

i need more maternity clothes (mine are all worn out and i'll be delivering in a differnt season)

a mini van (3 babies don't fit in my little sentra)

maybe some more x small and small covers (some of ours are girly, not that i'm that worried about it)

a swing (borrowed it for baby 1 and 2 from a friend that will now be using it)

maybe a ergo? back carry as an option since my kids are all so close in age??

need to think some more....
Old 08-21-2012, 01:32 PM   #23
abhernandez
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDever View Post
I was wondering about shipping too. I bet one of us could even buy it and ship it if she sent paypal. I have heard that things in South America cost a fortune and are hard to get.
Exactly. Unfortunately... shipping + import taxes are the very reason it's impossible to get anything here. And a lot of stuff is strangely banned. It does has some positives... our house won't get overrun with baby stuff ever. I think we'll just do the mattress on the floor thing. I've found a lot of blog posts about Montesorri baby rooms and it's actually a pretty cool concept. As for the early days, just push the bed up against a wall.

And this got me thinking about what I should get in the US... I'll be there in 2.5 weeks!

I checked bottles at the local store... For a single little common Avent bottle it costs $16.50USD. The ony other brand available is Chicco, which is even more expensive. For an infant seat (Chicco I believe)... it's about $500USD. And clothes are lower quality and much more expensive. So the prices are pretty consistently absurd...

What do you all think are the absolute bare minimum must haves... that fit in a suit case? We'll max out our excess luggage allowance but there are a lot of restrictions in terms of measurements... I seriously considered bringing a crib back... even a mini crib... but they are too long of course! And since we don't have a baby yet... we don't get to check things like car seats for free.

Last edited by abhernandez; 08-21-2012 at 01:50 PM.
abhernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:55 PM   #24
brookglen
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhernandez View Post
Exactly. Unfortunately... shipping + import taxes are the very reason it's impossible to get anything here. And a lot of stuff is strangely banned. It does has some positives... our house won't get overrun with baby stuff ever. I think we'll just do the mattress on the floor thing. I've found a lot of blog posts about Montesorri baby rooms and it's actually a pretty cool concept. As for the early days, just push the bed up against a wall.

And this got me thinking about what I should get in the US... I'll be there in 2.5 weeks!

I checked bottles at the local store... For a single little common Avent bottle it costs $16.50USD. The ony other brand available is Chicco, which is even more expensive. For an infant seat (Chicco I believe)... it's about $500USD. And clothes are lower quality and much more expensive. So the prices are pretty consistently absurd...

What do you all think are the absolute bare minimum must haves... that fit in a suit case? We'll max out our excess luggage allowance but there are a lot of restrictions in terms of measurements... I seriously considered bringing a crib back... even a mini crib... but they are too long of course!
Get your baby wrap/Bjorn/sling what have you. I used it constantly for the first year. Get a basic hand pump and a few small bottles (I never had more than four) That baby will maybe eat 2oz. Per feeding if that's any indication, and unless you plan to pump non stop, the small hand pump is really all you need to leave your baby for a couple of hours here and there. Also, I don't know about anyone else, but a little bouncy seat was just an absolute necessity for me. Think about the few times a day when you need two hands (using the bathroom, showering, putting your hair up, etc) and will need to set the baby somewhere. I kept one in my bathroom at all times and one in my living room.

Really though, newborns need so little. They eat, sleep and poop.
brookglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:57 PM   #25
brookglen
Registered Users

I need a new stroller, a new infant car seat, and a crib at some point.

I WANT an Ergo, and I will have one if it kills me.
brookglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:04 PM   #26
Sarahknavy
Registered Users
seller

What about a small portacrib? I am not pushing the crib idea. I had this graco mini packnplay and it was great as a bassinet. It might be just as long/tall as a normal pack n play though... 32 inches? I really liked having this one because I could wheel it through doorways and it kept baby out of the dogs way when he was super little.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/re...w/d/B004IEBOVS

I also want a woven wrap. I have a sleepy but I want a woven for Weston my son when my belly gets bigger.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:36 PM   #27
gghmommy
Registered Users

Oh, this is fun... I need to get the twin beds from my parent's house and with them some new comforters/duvets They will be in DD's "new" room which also needs curtains. We have a very tall full size bed in there now and I just can't handle that! I want to make some NB covers, they'll be GN since we're not finding out. I may make some prefolds with excess fabric I have, or buy. I just got in touch with someone on CL for some free covers and PF's so score there! Clothes and some blankets if we end up with a boy, probably ok for a couple weeks, and by then my consignment/thrift/yard sale queen of a mom will have me stocked. Our daughter, 12 weeks early, came home Feb 2 and this one's due Feb 15 so we should be great seasonally for a girl. My brother has 2 boys that we may be able to borrow from if need be. I think the only other thing is I want a bouncy seat. I have a portable swing that doesn't vibrate as well as I'd like, and I just want one so DD doesn't swing the baby too much! That should do us.

This is not meant judging in any way- If you're considering the co-sleeping option with the bed shoved up against the wall, if baby is beside the wall, make sure there is NO gap between bed and wall. When I worked as a nurse in the PICU, we had a baby come in that suffocated and passed away due to slipping between bed and wall. Just be smart and safe! this ends my PSA.
gghmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:54 PM   #28
abhernandez
Registered Users

Good to know! I'll make sure there's no gap. Our bed has a super super heavy frame so it won't move once we have it shoved up against the wall. I'm also pretty sure I'm going to get a little co sleeper basket thingy in hopes that works
Old 08-23-2012, 08:14 AM   #29
lfilbert
Registered Users

My Mood:

Since it looks like we are having a boy we are going to need some boy clothes and a few diaper covers that don't have flowers all over them otherwise we still have everything from DD so we shouldn't need too much. And I actually get to wear some of the maternity clothes I got gifted with DD since it will be in the right season this time
lfilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:45 PM   #30
newtocloth2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I could use a new changing pad for on top of the dresser (the contoured kind), since ours is falling apart, newbie diapers (I probably have enough now, though), and if it's a girl, girl clothing.
I know I'd like some earth mama angel baby new mama spray or balm for postpartum use.
I don't know that I need much else, since this is our third.