Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-20-2012, 06:05 PM   #1
jemilyon
Registered Users
seller
seller

On Isaiah's due date I woke up to a strong contraction at 7:30. Since dd came on her due date I wondered if this could be the real deal. I had been having some false labor but it was always in the evening when my body was tired. I waited for them to get regular pretty much all day. Took a warm bath and they still didn't go away. Around 7:30pm they started getting strong but were still irregular, anywhere from 5-15 minutes apart, so I was very confused! But, I sent dh to drop the kids off at his parents, went on a walk with my mom (causing contractions to come about 5 minutes apart twice), then came home to call my mw, who said I should come in considering the bc is an hour away and the fact that with dd I went from 4 cm to complete in 45 minutes!

When we got to the bc I was hit with major anxiety. I had been told that I could have intermittent monitoring and could wear whatever I wanted only to walk in, be handed an awful tent of a hospital gown, and immediately to be connected to the contraction and fetal monitor. I seriously almost lost it...wondering how many other things were not going to go as expected. I felt I had made a major mistake and didn't know how I was going to have a successful non-medicated delivery like I did with dd (almost born at home!) with these unwelcome interventions. (This is when I asked for prayers on FB from you guys since my anxiety was just through the roof!)

My mw came in and checked me and I was 3 cm, 50%...(not what I wanted to hear!). To my relief, she said I could change back into my clothes but that there would have to be intermittent monitoring at least every half an hour. I could deal with that, and my doula had arrived so I was feeling better supported.

We (mom, doula, dh, and I) walked the halls laughing and chit chatting but when the pain got strong we went back into the room where I could rest on dh and fully focus on breathing and staying on top of each contraction. I could feel that transition was starting...this was about 1 am.

Transition started and I decided to soak in the tub, where I laid, belly emerged, shaking and shivering and moaning like a dying cow through the contractions. I thought, "This is going to be over soon! I'm going through transition and soon I will hold my baby!!!" The whole time I envisioned Isaiah peacefully being pushed down and out with each contraction.

Well, things did not go as simply as I anticipated. I literally was in transition for hours. I can't explain in words how awful of a place I was in as I was stuck in limbo between the worst pain of labor and getting the sensation to push. I had been laboring since 7:30 in the morning and I was so exhausted I wondered a few times whether I was going to be able to get this baby out.

My mw came in and checked me after the bath (btw, it was the mw I least wanted to attend my birth)...and I swear to you she is the most absolute rough and unempathetic checker known to man. I was 8-9 cm. Stuck. I got on the bed as we hoped and figured it wouldn't be long until I felt the urge to push...but it was long. Isaiah seemed to be completely ambivalent as to whether or not he really wanted to leave the safety of my womb!

My nurse told me that if I want to I could try to push just a little and I welcomed any sign of a break from contractions so I let my body push slightly to no avail. It was then that the vicious demon checker (aka my midwife) noted that I had a half cm lip of cervix left so she instructed me to lay on my side and let myself have a few more non pushing contractions (which was torturous). It was almost 4 in the morning. Then, gloriously, after 3 contractions I felt the REAL urge to push!!! But, I was so exhausted and confused (this labor was nothing like dd's natural birth!) and in pain that it was extremely hard to push well. The demon midwife then decided to stand back and let my nurse take over, which was probably her only act of wisdom all night. My angelic and attentive and intuitively connected nurse put pressure on the upper wall of my vagina with two fingers (sorry if tmi) and coached me to push right there. It was exactly the motivation and sensation that I needed as I turned my head towards the window and noted day light shining through the cracks of the shades. I pushed and pushed until I heard excited voices telling me they could see a head full of dark hair!! It was finally going to end!!! I reach down to feel my baby's head as my body filled with the dread of the ring of fire (which, btw I never experienced with dd either!!!)...I slowed my pushing as the head crowned and the rest of his body came into my arms as I pulled my baby right onto my chest! I screamed "THANK GOD THANK GOD THANK GOD he's out!" and looked over toward my sobbing dh! It was a beautiful moment!

It was 6:40 in the morning when he made his grand entrance. He was much smaller than I anticipated as I had the biggest belly with him, but I guess that's what happens in the 3rd pregnancy Even though I was routing for a big baby I am so in love with the tiny cuteness that he is!!! He is amazing! Great nurser...great sleeper! I've never had a baby that I could lay down and they would stay asleep. Perfect third child

The nurses who were there said it was one of the most peaceful births they had ever seen. My mom said she feels it should have been taped by the Discovery channel or something....lol! She said she had no idea how much pain I was going through until I looked at her at one point with tears in my eyes and simply said, as you can only say to your mother, "Mommy..."

Worst pain of my life and so glad he's here and healthy and I am no longer pregnant!

I had no tearing and recovery has been the best so far of all 3 births, so there is THAT at least!

going to upload a pic from my phone.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-528198317.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	116981

Name:	image-3987404393.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	116982

Name:	image-3504816912.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	116983

6 lbs 12 oz 20"

Advertisement

Last edited by jemilyon; 08-20-2012 at 06:23 PM.
jemilyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:26 PM   #2
mama2seth&trey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Isaiah's Epic Entrance!

Great birth story mama! congrats!
mama2seth&trey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:30 PM   #3
menthomas
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Great story and congrats! I had a cervical lip too with my second son and it was torture. Once my midwife shoved it out of the way it was glorious to push!
menthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:28 PM   #4
mamaerica
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What a beautiful baby!! Congrats!!

mamaerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:02 PM   #5
momomom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

so happy for you!!!
momomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:25 AM   #6
eguisgirl
Registered Users
Formerly: en**doza
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Emily, what a great ending!!
Old 08-21-2012, 05:53 AM   #7
1healthylady
Registered Users

Congrats! I love the name Isaiah
Old 08-21-2012, 09:47 AM   #8
jemilyon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by eguisgirl
Emily, what a great ending!!
Dawn, thats what im trying to focus on when people ask now!
Old 08-21-2012, 09:54 AM   #9
kelpie169
Registered Users
seller

Oh baby is so cute!!!!!
kelpie169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:30 AM   #10
bohemianxchaos
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Oh man. Just teared up. Congrats!