Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-21-2012, 03:07 PM   #21
walawala
Registered Users

I would tell her that if i have a daughter that i will also be using that name since it was already chosen. I wouldn't choose a different name. It isn't like they're sisters.

Advertisement

walawala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:14 PM   #22
justsamma
Registered Users
seller

Re: SIL wants to take our baby name

I'd just let her know you plan to use it as well and go from there.
justsamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:28 PM   #23
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would let SIL know that your flattered(fake it if you have to) that she chose to use your name. Also say something about you still using it when you have a girl. You could even go as far as to say something about if they are both girls that would be so cute to for _____(full name and your daughter) to have an older cousin _____(nickname of the name if there is one). Kind of a hint to change name but not outright.
I would use it no matter what.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:30 PM   #24
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

Like other people, I'd let them know you're going to use it anyways if you have a girl, so that she doesn't get pissed later.

and I'd just not worry about it after that. Maybe she will change her mind. Maybe she'll choose a nickname, maybe you'll have a boy. Maybe cousins will have the same name and it'll be cute, but confusing at Christmas time
Old 08-21-2012, 04:07 PM   #25
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

I think calling her and being direct but gracious is best. Tell her that MIL told you they were thinking of that name, that you guys are 100% sure you're using it, and that if they are set on it too then you want to coordinate so their middle names are different.
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:25 PM   #26
tommymommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopetc View Post
Off topic True story - I know of two sisters with the same name....the older sister was allowed to pick the name of the younger at birth and when asked what they should name the baby, she said her own name and they named the baby the same name.
I had an English teacher in college named Katherine, but everyone called her Kate. Well, her parents REALLY wanted a Katherine, so they named their next daughter Katherine too!
tommymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:48 PM   #27
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopetc View Post
Off topic True story - I know of two sisters with the same name....the older sister was allowed to pick the name of the younger at birth and when asked what they should name the baby, she said her own name and they named the baby the same name.
I tried to suggest to DD that we name all the girls in our family Lydia and all the boys Benjamin from now on, but she wasn't on board with that idea.
I'm also a Younique presenter. Click here for naturally-based beauty care!
Harmony96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:51 PM   #28
nicolemariep
Registered Users
seller

It may suck, but I don't believe that their is ever "dibs" on names. Ever.

We decided when I was 28ish weeks pregnant with DS2 that we were naming him Liam. We announced the name at a family BBQ, and my little sister was all bummed because that is the name that she has always wanted if she had a boy. I didn't know that, but oh well. She told me that she still might use it. I told her that was fine. It's her own decision what to name her kids. Wouldn't you know it, she got pregnant a few weeks later and it turned out to be a boy. She named him something different.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:51 PM   #29
nicolemariep
Registered Users
seller

It may suck, but I don't believe that their is ever "dibs" on names. Ever.

We decided when I was 28ish weeks pregnant with DS2 that we were naming him Liam. We announced the name at a family BBQ, and my little sister was all bummed because that is the name that she has always wanted if she had a boy. I didn't know that, but oh well. She told me that she still might use it. I told her that was fine. It's her own decision what to name her kids. Wouldn't you know it, she got pregnant a few weeks later and it turned out to be a boy. She named him something different.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:41 PM   #30
mamaratliff
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

You could just announce the name on Facebook. Then it's public knowledge that it's the name you chose, and if she does it anyway, she'll seem like a copycat. But I'm passive agreesive and non confrontational like that Sorry mama totally sucks