Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 09-01-2012, 10:42 PM   #61
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: SIL wants to take our baby name

I say use the name you love regardless if your SIL uses it too.
I had my DD2 named picked out for years! When pg with my DS, it was the name we would have used if he had been a girl. About 6 weeks before I was due with DD2, my best friend got a dog and they named it the same name as my child just spelled differently. They totally knew what we planned to name her too! I know it's a lot different because it's a dog rather than a cousin, but after my initial shock that she did that, I let it go. I haven't even mentioned it to her because I don't want strife in our relationship, I choose my friend over my right to own my DD's name. Yes, my DD and my best friend's dog have the same name, it's strange, but it is what it is.
My sister also just told me that I used her middle name for my DD middle name. (it's our mom's name). I had no clue that she wanted to use it. I told her that she should use it too. It just doesn't make sense to me to feel protective of a name especially a family name.

Mary, wife to DH, mama to G (2003), J (2006) and Z (2012)
Mom2G&J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:10 AM   #62
Banned for 6 months for ignoring repeated request to attempt to be polite/respectful.
Re: SIL wants to take our baby name

I feel like middle names are far less important. I will use my mothers middle name for a girl. Anne. And our son will have DH's middle name George.

I can't stand my SIL so I would be doubly as furious in this situation. She named her daughter a horrible name so we are free and clear.
Puppydog is offline   Reply With Quote