Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-30-2012, 09:40 PM   #31
dreamingoffireflies
Registered Users
seller

Re: Under 2 years apart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebabies View Post
One thing I'd recommend is maybe having some little "training sessions" now before the LO is here to teach him to respond to your voice if you say, "get down" or "come here".
What exactly did you do during your "training sessions" and how long did it take for them to learn? I'm only just starting to more actively try to train my one 11 month old to do or not do things, trying to teach him not to bite, pull people's glasses off, or purposely drop food on the floor, and have not been having much success.

Advertisement

My ISO/IHA
dreamingoffireflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 02:46 PM   #32
babylove921
Registered Users
Formerly: mrsdrums1

My Mood:
Well I have 2 boys. Asher is almost 20 months, and Levi is almost 4 months. They are 16 months apart. And its really like having 2 babies. I will pray for you. If I could do it over again, I wouldn't have done this, this close in age. Maybe your a better mommy then me though.

Sent from my SPH-M580 using DS Forum
Old 08-31-2012, 07:53 PM   #33
lovebabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingoffireflies

What exactly did you do during your "training sessions" and how long did it take for them to learn? I'm only just starting to more actively try to train my one 11 month old to do or not do things, trying to teach him not to bite, pull people's glasses off, or purposely drop food on the floor, and have not been having much success.
Well, we are constantly in process as they grow and change, but I think consistency is the key with toddlers. I'm not always great at consistency, though. I've done training sessions where I'd say, "ok, you stay here, when I say 'come', you come and say 'yes, mommy!'" and then I'd walk a little bit away and say "come" with my hands out and a big smile. If they came right away, I'd cheer and give a high five and a big hug and maybe a little treat (around here that would be a raisin ). If they didn't come right away, I'd go take their hand walk them through it, and then try again until they obey successfully three or four times. It sounds like what you're doing is great. It does take some time to train them, but it's definitely worth it!
Old 09-01-2012, 10:14 AM   #34
drkelli
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekuligs View Post
My first 2 are 15 months apart. I am thinking of having another one close to Thistle because she is the only one without a buddy
First, I have to say that I love your kids names (and I also have a Violet,).

My last 2 are 22 months apart and for me, it was very very hard. DS has a knack for being super loud just as DD is finally drifting off to sleep.
That said, if you only have the 2, it might be easier. I have 4.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:21 AM   #35
dreamingoffireflies
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by babylove921 View Post
Well I have 2 boys. Asher is almost 20 months, and Levi is almost 4 months. They are 16 months apart. And its really like having 2 babies. I will pray for you. If I could do it over again, I wouldn't have done this, this close in age. Maybe your a better mommy then me though.

Sent from my SPH-M580 using DS Forum
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, and for praying. I have a rule among friends (and strangers), thought, that no "better mommy" comparisons are allowed! We are all doing the best we can, and I am sure you are doing a great job, it just doesn't usually feel like it at the time. My mother-in-law keeps telling my sister-in-law, whose kids are 5, 3 and 1, that this time really is such a short season of life, it will be over before she knows it. You are in survival mode now, but they will soon be grown, or at least able to do more things for themselves without constant supervision and help. I've also heard that with children close in age, the first couple years are hard, but after that it makes it easier that they are close in age because they keep each other entertained since they are at similar childhood stages and you are doing similar things for them and with them rather than having them at vastly different stages like changing one's diapers while helping the other one with homework. Hang in there and keep up the good work! I will pray for you, too!

My ISO/IHA
dreamingoffireflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:20 AM   #36
calapitters
Registered Users

My Mood:
My youngest two are 22 months apart, and I have found this to be a difficult age gap. That being said, YDS is almost 3 months old and YDD just turned 2 and things have finally begun to smooth out. They are both nursing, and I think that has helped with their being able to bond. YDD took to having a baby brother really well. She is just such an intense kiddo that it can be very...trying...to meet her needs while caring for a newborn.

ACCEPT AND PLAN FOR AS MUCH HELP as you can for the first 2-3 weeks. Bum your toddler off on anyone. Alright, not anyone, but you get the point.

I've never had any jealousy issues among my kids, and that seems to be the case with my two youngest as well. YDD will love on her baby brother all day long.

Good luck, mama. Where there's a will, there is a way.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:29 PM   #37
christina2babyboys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

All four (soon to be 5) of mine are under 2 yrs apart.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:21 PM   #38
MamaNotes
Registered Users

My Mood:
My boys are 20 months apart. Right now it is very hard. They are both so active. Although, I will say it is getting easier and I'm glad they are close in age. I keep telling myself when they get just s bit older it will be much easier
MamaNotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:42 PM   #39
AmeliasMum
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My DS and youngest DD are 17mnths apart. I LOVED that spacing and wanted it again, or closer. Now I am looking at 2 1/2 yrs apart again, like my oldest DD and DS. Not a terrible gap, but longer than we like.
AmeliasMum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:01 AM   #40
jacandy
Registered Users
seller

My ds1 & ds2 are 4.5yrs apart and ds2 & ds3 are about 21mos apart. I'm trying to decide if I would like the next baby close (youngest is almost 5mos). People tell me I'm crazy but I think the closeness is nice.

http://www.iheartfrugality.com
jacandy is offline   Reply With Quote