Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-16-2012, 01:28 PM   #101
Sarai*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How old is too old to have a baby?

It's different for everyone, and I couldn't have more for medical reasons, but if that wasn't a concern, it would be the age in which I would no longer to willing to raise a child with Down's Syndrome, a risk which gets greater as one ages. I am pro-life, and would never abort a baby with a disability. I would have had more energy to raise a special needs child younger, now I am looking at launching our eldest to college in a few years, and also would fear a longer period of time where the child would outlive me, and be worried about who would look after an adult with developmental disabilities, it is no longer a risk I feel our family could rise to the occasion adequately. We don't have a ton of family support. For me that cut off is around 40ish. If I knew I was having a healthy child that could care for him/herself as an adult, it would be less of a worry.

Advertisement

Old 09-16-2012, 06:22 PM   #102
umphreysmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have no opinion on what others do but for me not past 35/36.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:38 PM   #103
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

Whenever that woman/family feel and decide in their own personal lives No business of mine.
I'm 41. I was 35 with the birth of my first son and 37 with the birth of my second son. My first son does have SPD/ASD/ODD, but that happens in all maternal age ranges.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:53 PM   #104
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:

I don't really know. I had my first at 21, second at 24, and third at 29. I am 33 now and at this point I don't see myself having anymore unless I remarry. My mom had my youngest brother at 39 and everything was fine. I guess I really don't have a "limit"
Old 09-16-2012, 08:22 PM   #105
onegratefulmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Well I think it just depends on mother nature and you and your partners desire and ability to add to your family. I feel very content and incredibly grateful to be a mom 3x over and though I doubt I could even have another I'm ok where we are at with being done but i didn't feel that way after #2. I think that also plays a big part in it if you are ready to let go and just help the ones you have grow. Life doesn't always work out how you think it will and sometimes you just have to readjust and figure out what you can and want to handle. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Last edited by onegratefulmama; 09-17-2012 at 06:41 AM.
onegratefulmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:25 PM   #106
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DalesWidda View Post
I don't really know. I had my first at 21, second at 24, and third at 29. I am 33 now and at this point I don't see myself having anymore unless I remarry. My mom had my youngest brother at 39 and everything was fine. I guess I really don't have a "limit"
Yeah, personally as much as I want another....at 41 with 2 finally fully toilet learned, able to dress/bath themselves....I'm enjoying the freedom I don't know if I could do it all over again [that's why I had my babies close! lol]. I mean I would of course, but shew, I get tired just thinking about it!
Old 09-16-2012, 09:52 PM   #107
kaylabelle05
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I personally wanted to be done by 30. But due to severe infertility, I am having #3 about a month after I turn 33. I never wanted kids in my 30's because I wanted to have energy for them (I saw how much my mom had when she was in her 40's and I was born 3 weeks before she turned 30). But now I find out that my energy issue was caused by health issues.

I doubt I will have another after this one. My kidney stones really put a HUGE strain on myself and the entire family. If I get preg again, it will be a miracle because I will be stopping any future pregnancies.

My older sister just had her 1st 11 days after she turned 38. Surprisingly enough her health issues that she had before she got pregnant went away. But she had BAD MS and some weird bladder spasming thing that caused her to go on bed-rest at 5.5 months.

But if a woman feels up to having a child later in life (either through pregnancy or adoption) have at it! But if you have to use a LOT of medicine because you already went through natural menopause, I think it is too late.
kaylabelle05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:55 PM   #108
Free Thinker
Registered Users
seller
seller

For me personally, 35 would be the latest I would feel comfortable. I had my last baby when I was 30, but even now I am happy to move on to the next phase. I think if a woman has other health issues this should play a part in the decision, as well as thinking of both the husband and wife's age and health later on. If you have a baby at say 45 and 50 (wife and hsubands ages), then you will be 63 and 68 when said child graduates. I don't want to be that old and have a teenager I have an uncle who had his kids at 49 and 51, I'm glad he had kids, but I wouldn't want to be him. That doesn' mean he's not a good father (his wife is like 15 years younger), but I really think it's sad he will be so old when they are still so young an din HS and college.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:30 PM   #109
Hope4More
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
LOL I have to laugh. We didnt START till I was 30. 49 and 11 months would be old enough to reconsider for me . My mom turns 56 and she is "as fertile as a 20 year old" according to her ob. She agrees with me there- 56 is past her line of childbearing reason!
I have given my cross to Jesus, who has a special talent for overcoming them, even if it means giving His own life...

Last edited by Hope4More; 09-17-2012 at 04:32 PM.
Hope4More is offline   Reply With Quote