Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-22-2012, 07:57 AM   #11
misscrazO
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How old is too old to have a baby?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigismomma View Post
I know parents of all ages, and some of the best parents are "older"
I would at least try for another......you may forever regret it if you don't. And while risks do increase as we age, there are never any guarantees with pregnancies at ANY age. And if you really look at the numbers, odds are still very good to have a healthy, normal pregnancy and baby even in your mid 40s. Take DS, for example. The chance of DS at age 45 sounds much higher (1 in 30), but when you think about it, a 45 year old still has almost a 97% chance of having a baby without DS. A 40 year old has even better odds.
I know I would never regret if I had another I just keep overthinking and going back and forth. I have had 8 wonderful kids already and will be a grandma in about 45 days. I had a blighted ovum in February so would be due anytime if the pregnancy would of stuck

I think alot of my misgivings stems from me about to be a grandma.

Advertisement

misscrazO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:00 AM   #12
Joyful Tie Dyes
Banned for reasons unrelated to transactions
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:

Heck I know grandmas who are new parents as well. It would not stop me
Joyful Tie Dyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:01 AM   #13
misscrazO
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyful Tie Dyes View Post
I feel great (tired of course but I also have a toddler lol). Since I had my first at 38 I can't really compare to what it's like to have a baby at a younger age.

I see a MW and am hoping for a water birth at out local birth center! 10 weeks to go!
I understand tired. I had my first at 17 and my last at 36. I would love a water birth. That is awesome.

Last edited by misscrazO; 08-22-2012 at 08:02 AM.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:02 AM   #14
NaplesMom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

In college, I was an egg donor for a woman who was 49 and her husband who was 59. They're young at heart and great parents...I think that is what is important.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:02 AM   #15
misscrazO
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I keep trying to LIKE posts on here. lol
Old 08-22-2012, 08:02 AM   #16
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You're too old when you (the one getting pg) feels you're too old. Some women have the energy and desire to have a baby into their 40s - and if that energy and desire is there then they aren't too old. Some women just can't do another baby when they are 30 so for them 30 is too old.

I'm 36 and I'm not sure I would have the energy for another baby honestly. My last pregnancy was rough and my kids never sleep good until age 3. I don't think I have what it takes to have another baby. But I've seen people have babies in their 40s and do awesome. So just because I feel too old doesn't mean I think people older than me are too old.
Rhianna'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:12 AM   #17
pcjs
Registered Users

I would say mid 40's, maybe a bit older to give birth. For women, late 40's for adoption should be the cut-off but for men, it really fluctuates. Nothing wrong with having a kid in your 40's. My husband was 46 when we got our son and I was 36. In some ways, having kids older can be beneficial as then you've had your career (to know you don't want one if you want to stay at home ), traveled, lived alone and done all those things you might otherwise wonder about. And, save money, get a house and all that good stuff. Being an older parent can also allow more patience and those little things that I know would have bothered me younger I couldn't care less about. My husband found that too as he has 3 kids in their 20's (no grandkids yet or that we know about). I can't comment after 8 kids as 2 kids is my limit but after 8, what is one or two more. Really, you've been through basically everything and if you haven't that joy of another child would be helpful so then you can officially say you've been there done that. If you want one and your husband agrees (or kinda agrees), go for it. Otherwise, enjoy the new grandkid (congrats).
Old 08-22-2012, 08:13 AM   #18
DCAMama
Registered Users
Formerly: dm**ge
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm 41 and have a 2 1/2 year old. My oldest will be 18 in a couple months. I would love to have another. And did you realize that most of the studies were done in the 70's and 80's and have never been updated with more "advanced maternal age" pregnancies now days.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:31 AM   #19
misscrazO
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am glad mama's my age chimed in.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:40 AM   #20
luvsgreen
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by misscrazO View Post
I keep trying to LIKE posts on here. lol
Me too
I feel like I am getting too old, but I know I am not! I am 30, and maybe just tired from being pregnant and nursing for the last 7 years on and off. And I have health issues too.

I feel there shouldn't be a stigma against older mamas. I know a lot of older moms who have been given a lot of flack from health care professionals for being older, and having larger families. It irks me.
My nana had her last at 49, three months before she turned 50. She got a lot of strange/nasty comments from different folks, but she decided she wasn't going to care what others thought so she was happy. Of course she got even more comments after she had him, like are you out with your grandson?

Handmade rustic home decor ~ https://www.facebook.com/asinglesparrow
luvsgreen is offline   Reply With Quote