Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 09-27-2012, 02:31 PM   #1
Registered Users
7.5 MO refusing solids

We started giving ds2 solids when he was about 6 mo as he was showing readiness signs. He really wasn't interested and the little he consumed seemed to hurt his tummy. So I just backed off for a while and kept trying once a week. He seems to have no interest....turns his head when we try to spoon feed him. We've tried blw a bit too, its like he knows its food he'll finger the veggies but won't put it in his mouth. He puts everything else in his mouth. I am just starting get a bit worried and looking for advice or any similar situations.

Also, another reason I'm ready for him to start eating a bit is he is EBF and is still nursing every 2 hours and I'm exhausted. With him eating that often, i'm thinking i am not satisfying him either.

Any thoughts?

cbridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:23 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: 7.5 MO refusing solids

I am not sure on the BF part, but both my kiddos didn't want to eat solids until around 10 months......and that was only BLW foods that they could feed themselves. With my second DD, we had to significantly decrease her bottle/formula intake around mealtimes otherwise she really wouldn't eat anything. Then after she ate....we would wait a little while and then top her off with her bottle. (so she wouldn't think she could hold off eating because we would give her a bottle right away afterward). This was really tough because she cried.....she was hungry.....but she wasn't going to starve and it really helped encourage her to eat solids. We didn't push until around ten-twelve months for each child, though. THe pediatrician said if we didn't push her to eat solids by 12 months or so, she would miss the best window of opportunity for learning chewing and swallowing (not that she couldn't learn it, but it wouldn't be as easy for her). But I know some moms wait to give their child any solids until after a year, so it just depends on your child and you.
Wife to DH since 1/07, Mom to DD1 4/10 , DD2 5/11 , and our newbie DD3 9/13

The hurt a troubled child creates is never greater than the hurt they feel inside. -T.

Last edited by Shalom; 09-27-2012 at 03:25 PM.
Shalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:21 PM   #3
Registered Users
Formerly: my2sons

As long as he is EBF, he's getting all he needs. There is no nutritional reason to push solids. They will learn to chew (unless there is some developmental delay) regardless of when you introduce solids.

All of my kids had major stomach issues and food allergies so I never gave them solids until 10-12 months.

That being said, it's your baby. You are his mother. You make the decision.
~Amanda~ Proud Wife to my Army Veteran and Mama to: Kevin , ~Jordan~, Ryan David, Gwendolyn , and Kathleen
Need Crocheted diaper covers? View my examples here.
MyLil'Mountaineers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:25 PM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:

i had to check to see if in my fog i'd posted your original message and forgotten--but nope, you're the author i'm now--but i could have been! mine just finally let me put a spoon in his mouth and the same day at a cracker at 9months and 4 days! After three months of trying every few days. He is still nursing every 2 hours around the clock (and has been since 5 months) and i'm exhausted but his weight gain between 6 and 9 months sucked (due to lack of solids and low supply on my part) so i have to keep as many calories going in a possible. for us, we discovered after a spoonful of yogurt that i got about half in and half on his face a few weeks ago that he is allergic to milk (he's had the reflux but not the diaper issues so it wasn't caught earlier)...since getting milk out of my system is when his eating finally started. that plus getting older i guess. not saying you have milk allergy on your hands, just saying keep trying every few days b/c you aren't alone with a late eater and constant nurser. hang in there mama.
Mama-spud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:54 PM   #5
Registered Users

my SIL has a 2.5 yr old that refuses alot of food so she has to breastfeed more then she wants. Sometimes its just something you have to wait out
akfran is offline   Reply With Quote