Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-25-2012, 02:19 PM   #11
gigismomma
Registered Users
seller

Re: A vent of sorts, also need opinions home birth vs unassisted vs hospital

I think there are some great suggestions here. I agree with everything Michelle said.
While I respect women who choose to do it, I would never, ever do a planned unassisted birth. While the majority of births will turn out just fine, and I know it has to be an awesome experience when all goes well, I would never take the risk because too many things can go wrong IMO. There isn't a high probability something will go wrong, but the fact that it can makes me uneasy. Sure, things can also go wrong in a hospital, but I feel you are giving your baby the best chance if you have the support of medical professionals around you during labor/birth.
I actually entertained the option of a home birth (hadn't really thought about assisted vs. unassisted at that point), but my husband was dead-set against it. So I ended up having my daughter at the hospital (a completely med-free birth, as I had wanted it), and I am thankful for that choice every day. I won't get into too much detail, but there were complications (with her cord) that weren't evident until the end stages of labor. As she was working her way through the birth canal, her heart rate dropped to 22 bpm and didn't come up. It was absolutely terrifying. I needed an emergency episiotomy and vacuum (both of which I didn't want going into labor, but in that moment it was an easy decision if it meant getting my daughter out alive!) She came out barely clinging to life......her body was blue, lifeless, she was not breathing, and not even responsive. She barely had a heartbeat, otherwise her Apgar would have been 0. There was a team of perinatologists and nurses that were paged and waiting, so they were able to get to work right away. It felt like an eternity, but they were able to revive her fairly quickly (within a minute, if I recall correctly). There is no question that the outcome would have been very bad if we didn't have the help that we had......best case scenario would be some level of brain damage, worst case scenario death -- which my gut tells me would have been the likely outcome. I know this is an extreme example, but I was an ideal candidate for a home birth, had a completely healthy pregnancy, completely normal ultrasounds.......there was no sign or warning whatsoever that something like that would happen. I have absolutely zero desire to take any risks with my future births, but that is just me. I honestly am not telling you this to scare you, I just want you to realize that the risks you are taking with an unassisted home birth are very real. Again, I am not saying anything horrible will happen if you do........I totally understand that the odds are very good that everything would be just fine. Ultimately you have to weigh all the risks/benefits, and assess your comfort level with whatever you choose.

Advertisement

gigismomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:13 AM   #12
EmilyA874
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Just thought I would come update. I did ask the midwives we used with my DD about transferring care later but they weren't really keen on that idea unfortuanately. DH and I had a long talk and he is comfortable with UCing as long as I am willing to transfer to the hospital if we think things aren't going well. Heapparently thought I wouldn't be willing to transfer at all? Anyway, we have decided to use the hospital OB for prenatal care because both DH and I don't feel knowledgeable enough to do that part ourselves. We also want the anatomy ultrasound for this baby to make sure there are no problems that would make a UC unsafe (we didn't have any ultrasounds with DD since we felt confidant in our midwives).
So the plan is to UC and we both feeling a lot more excited for this baby now and I finally feel at peace and not stressed out!
Thank you all for your input and stories. I totally understand UC or even home birth is not for everyone, but this is defiantly the path I am feeling led to for this baby's birth.
EmilyA874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:55 AM   #13
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

What is UC?

God bless!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:00 AM   #14
kushie tushie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle_M
What is UC?

God bless!
Unassisted childbirth

Amanda . Blaming my phone for typos and crap.
Amanda- wife to DH. Mama to W (2010), L (2011), H (2013) & expecting #4 Jan 2016
kushie tushie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:37 AM   #15
corey0902
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We have very similar stories and we too decided to UC. However, I skipped the prenatal care with the docs (because I work with them/long story) and had my own doctor order bloodwork and the u/s. I feel its a great compromise and I'm so looking forward to it!
Old 09-10-2012, 11:48 AM   #16
Mamatoabunch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Congrats on your decision!
Old 09-11-2012, 11:32 AM   #17
EmilyA874
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey0902 View Post
We have very similar stories and we too decided to UC. However, I skipped the prenatal care with the docs (because I work with them/long story) and had my own doctor order bloodwork and the u/s. I feel its a great compromise and I'm so looking forward to it!
I can understand why you'd skip the care of an ob mine is already annoyed with me I think because I told them on the phone I wouldn't be having a pelvic exam at my appointment tomorrow. They'll be even happier to know I plan to refuse ALL pelvic exams they want to do I am sure I'll be looking for your birth story next month, good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamatoabunch View Post
Congrats on your decision!
Thank you I really am feeling good about and excited to have this babe with just me DH (and DD if she isn't sleeping!) and myself there!
EmilyA874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:48 AM   #18
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I can't wait to follow your story. Please keep us updated. I am due in February and have a similar conundrum. We are getting prenatal care from a local midwife practice and planning UC but have back-up 5 minutes away. My dear friend is an RN, she has worked in Labor and Delivery as well as critical care nursery for many years. She volunteered to be present but when I asked her recently she changed her mind. I am disapointed because I felt like that was a perfect solution but I respect her feelings. I have precepitus deliveries and there is no way a homebirth midwife would get here in time anyway. Seems foolish to spend $1000's of dollars to UC kwim. Now if there is an issue we can get to the hospital in a matter of minutes. I heard about this resource on a UC website and wanted to share.

http://www.theperfectbirth.com/gregorywhite.pdf

It is like a crash course manual in childbirth. I am still waiting for my copy of Heart and Hands but this is great maybe for the DHs to read. Maybe we could get a forum for UC?
Old 09-14-2012, 01:10 PM   #19
Mommy2Be08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Just saw this! We uc'd with ds3 and will be with this baby as well. I can't wait to hear all about yours!!

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using DS Forum
Jocelyne mommy 4 beautiful boys! Baby#5 Due August 2014 I'm Shaving my head to conquer childhood cancer! http://www.stbaldricks.org/participa...ge/675375/2014
Mommy2Be08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:18 PM   #20
cathplyr
Registered Users
seller

I drove 90 mins to my hb midwife the first time. and if I found I am preg. again I would try the closer midwife, but if she is a disaster like yours then I would suck it up and drive with the cranky baby. maybe someone will feel sorry for you and offer to babysit? my mw let me have appt. farther apart so I wouldnt drive as often. I would not consider unassisted or hospital. maybe I would consider birthing center.
cathplyr is offline   Reply With Quote