Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-06-2012, 11:56 AM   #51
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Just annoyed and frustrated re: potty training

I decided to go ahead and do a naked day with him today. Here's the update from the first half of naked day. DS is napping now, and based on how the morning went, I think I want to go ahead and move him to commando shorts for the afternoon.

The morning actually started last night. We were all riding home from church and I said, "B, guess what? Tomorrow we're going to take off your diaper!" And he said, "No!" Then I immediately said, "Won't that be fun?" He said, "Yes!" lol. Silly boy. He already has a fondness of being au natural so I knew that wouldn't be a problem, but I still wanted to prepare him a little.

I pushed the fluids (the kid drank nearly half a gallon over the course of the morning!) and waited and waited and waited for that first pee. Well, it didn't come. The first thing to come out was a poop, lol, right on the kitchen floor. Then while we were taking care of that, he peed on the floor in the bathroom. I told him, "Wait, wait. Pee goes in the potty," and set him up there, where he finished. I had him stay sitting on the potty while I finished cleaning up the poop (aside from the kitchen floor, it was also on his legs a little). He pooped some more in the potty while he was sitting there, so now he should be good for a couple of days, lol. (He often skips a day or two for poop.)

His "gotta pee dance" seems to be the "squeezing his legs together" type, so when I saw that, I prompted him to go to the potty, and he did, every time, and peed. And one time (and this is super exciting to me), he even let me know that he was self-aware of his need to go potty. He was squeezing his legs together, and he looked right at me and said, "Pee! Potty!" And I said, "Well, GO, then!" And he went. That was the only time he verbally told me all morning (or so far in his entire life, lol), but I kept an eye out for his nonverbal signals and prompted him accordingly, and he was always more than happy to run down the hall to the bathroom. After he goes, he likes to put the lid down, so when he goes in there the next time, he sometimes forgets that it's down and tries to sit on the closed lid. Then he realizes that's not quite right and hops off and raises the lid and gets back on.

Throughout the morning, he'd say things to himself, like, "Pee. Floor," while shaking his head "no." (When he shakes his head "no" while saying something, he means "Don't do this" or "I don't like this" or "That's not right", etc.). I would hear him say that and say, "That's right, we don't pee on the floor. Where does pee go?" And he'd say, "Pee potty!"

I'm a little nervous how the afternoon will go, but he was VERY CLEARLY exhausted by naptime (cranky, lol) so I'm hoping the rest will do him good and he'll do awesome with his commando shorts. When I put him down for nap, I did put a diaper back on and told him that it's because he's still learning and when he wakes up, we'll take it off again, and he said okay.

Advertisement

I'm also a Younique presenter. Click here for naturally-based beauty care!
Harmony96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:30 PM   #52
EuphoricDysphoria
Registered Users
Formerly: laubear
seller
seller

My Mood:

What a wonderful update!! I hope the rest of the day goes just as well
Old 09-06-2012, 03:32 PM   #53
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

see.. DD has no signs that she's peeing. Seriously. No signs. I think it just pours out without her even knowing .... lol
Old 09-06-2012, 05:05 PM   #54
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quick dinner update. He drank nearly two quarts of fluid again right after lunch, and we weren't quite as successful as we were in the morning about getting all the pees into the potty. But, we did have some good things happen.

The first miss happened when he was holding his legs together so much that he was squatting, lol. I asked him if he had to go potty and he said no, but then immediately stood up and started peeing. He had drank so much that he just couldn't hold it anymore. So we rushed to the potty, cleaned up, etc. Then some time later, he got into the same squatty position, but this time, he was saying, "Don't pee, don't pee." lol. And he was successfully holding it, so we went to the potty again, where he peed in the potty.

After that, a headache got me and the day was dragging on and I wasn't as attentive to him as I needed to be, and there were several more pees in the potty (at my prompting) but also another couple of misses due to my distraction. Oh, and I did have him in commando shorts all afternoon, and I taught him how to push those up and down. I have to help him get them up to his ankles, but from there, he can bring them up the rest of the way, so that is a win for today too.

Now I'm not sure what I want to do tomorrow, lol. Today was exhausting and I was yawning by about 3:30 p.m., lol.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:43 PM   #55
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

The good news - DS was dry overnight and stayed dry all day today!

The bad news - I had to work today so I couldn't go forth with the "proper" plan, so he was in a diaper because I couldn't be cleaning up accidents, and I just prompted him at intervals loosely based on his "pee pattern" from yesterday, and he went every time except once.

Every time he sat on the potty, he'd say, "No pee floor," and also said, "No pee chair" at one point, too. He's super smart and gets it but I just don't have the energy to devote such an intense couple of weeks of potty training (yesterday, just ONE DAY, wore me out before the day was 3/4 of the way over). I know my limits. He turns 3 in just over a month, and then the baby is expected about 2.5 months after that. I'm not counting on him being trained (which in my mind is initiating trips to the bathroom) before either of those milestones, or even hoping for it, but I can handle days like today.

I looked again at the "blocks" in the book, and because of our history, I think we're ready to move to underpants (well, HE is. I don't know if _I_ am, lol) since he can already handle the different situations (all with prompting, of course). But then the "consistent self-initiation" is where I get hung up. He sort of did once yesterday, but if I try to have high expectations of him and let him initiate all the time NOW, I'll just be frustrated and have to go get another several bottles of carpet cleaner and vinegar.

I went and re-read the "how-to" chapter and the blog posts about prompting and backing off, and that is where I'm stuck. She said in one of the blog posts that at some point, I have to hand over potty initiation to DS but probably before he has shown me he CAN initiate. She mentions that around the 4th or 5th day, the child might start to rebel and not willingly sit and start having accidents all over the place. Well, I've prompted DS for waaaaaaaay more than just 4-5 days, and he has always been willing, so I don't know where to "go" from here (pardon the pun, lol). I guess I'll just keep watching him and prompting him until he tells me otherwise. I don't know what else to do.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:54 PM   #56
ambieone
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony96 View Post
The good news - DS was dry overnight and stayed dry all day today!

The bad news - I had to work today so I couldn't go forth with the "proper" plan, so he was in a diaper because I couldn't be cleaning up accidents, and I just prompted him at intervals loosely based on his "pee pattern" from yesterday, and he went every time except once.

Every time he sat on the potty, he'd say, "No pee floor," and also said, "No pee chair" at one point, too. He's super smart and gets it but I just don't have the energy to devote such an intense couple of weeks of potty training (yesterday, just ONE DAY, wore me out before the day was 3/4 of the way over). I know my limits. He turns 3 in just over a month, and then the baby is expected about 2.5 months after that. I'm not counting on him being trained (which in my mind is initiating trips to the bathroom) before either of those milestones, or even hoping for it, but I can handle days like today.

I looked again at the "blocks" in the book, and because of our history, I think we're ready to move to underpants (well, HE is. I don't know if _I_ am, lol) since he can already handle the different situations (all with prompting, of course). But then the "consistent self-initiation" is where I get hung up. He sort of did once yesterday, but if I try to have high expectations of him and let him initiate all the time NOW, I'll just be frustrated and have to go get another several bottles of carpet cleaner and vinegar.

I went and re-read the "how-to" chapter and the blog posts about prompting and backing off, and that is where I'm stuck. She said in one of the blog posts that at some point, I have to hand over potty initiation to DS but probably before he has shown me he CAN initiate. She mentions that around the 4th or 5th day, the child might start to rebel and not willingly sit and start having accidents all over the place. Well, I've prompted DS for waaaaaaaay more than just 4-5 days, and he has always been willing, so I don't know where to "go" from here (pardon the pun, lol). I guess I'll just keep watching him and prompting him until he tells me otherwise. I don't know what else to do.

This is similar to what I did with my ds. He was fully capable of using the potty he just wouldn't tell me when he need to go. He was in underwear for a good 3-5 months (with minimal accidents) before he actually would tell me he needed to go. I was able to gage how long after he had a drink he normally needed to go, it was usually between 1-1.5 hours from when he had a drink. For whatever reason he would tell me when he needed to poop but not pee.

I hope your ds keeps doing well!!
ambieone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:21 PM   #57
hpfgirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Great update. This is about how it has been going for us too.

I think he needs to have quite a few accidents before he starts consistently self-initiating. He just gets so busy sometimes. I just try to notice when he's doing his potty dance and say, "It looks like you have to go pee... "

3T/4T Trainers, and Toddler AIOs for sale.

Last edited by hpfgirl; 09-07-2012 at 08:24 PM.
hpfgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:02 AM   #58
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

DS woke up before me and DH this morning and was playing with DD in their room for a little bit before one of us managed to drag ourselves out of bed to go check on him, and he was still dry! DH took him to the bathroom and got them breakfast and stuff. I took him a bit later and noticed that his poor diaper was falling apart after being worn for 36 straight hours, lol (tabs starting to get torn off and not sticking, etc.). So I set a new diaper aside and after the potty trip, I asked him to get me that new diaper since his old one was falling apart.

He looked at the diaper, then looked back at me and said, "Undies." So we went into his room and got a pair of undies for him. We had a little talk about how pee does not go in undies, but goes in the potty (he still, nearly every time, says "no pee floor" as he's getting up onto the potty, lol). He was excited for the undies. He had a little trouble pulling them on, but here in a bit I'll take him to the bathroom and start teaching him how to take them off.

I'm watching him a little more closely today to see any signs that he needs to go, so hopefully we can avoid accidents or "learning tools" or whatever they're called at this stage, lol.
Old 09-08-2012, 07:04 PM   #59
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Bedtime now, and all his pees went into the potty. But we went to a potluck today (with him in a diaper), and I took him potty right when we got there. Ten minutes later, I was in line to get him and his sister some food, and another of the moms came up to me and told me that my little one had a poopy diaper. His last poop was that first one on Thursday morning, so I knew there was one coming, but of course it happens when I can't see him (and he didn't have any big "sign" for poop on Thursday, so I don't know that I would have seen it tonight anyway even if I HAD been watching). He usually poops on the potty when he's there for a pee, and then while sitting, he realizes "oh, I need to poop, too," and he pushes one out, lol. Anyway, so we got that taken care of and he stayed dry for the rest of the potluck and for the ride home. DH took him potty as soon as we got home, and he pushed out two more giant poops, lol.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:52 PM   #60
hpfgirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I like that you let him have a diaper for an exciting outing. We put DS in one for a wedding a few weeks ago. I didn't want him to get embarrassed if he had an accident or if I couldn't get him to the potty in time.

3T/4T Trainers, and Toddler AIOs for sale.
hpfgirl is offline   Reply With Quote