Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-24-2012, 08:17 AM   #1
kai_e
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I don't think anything is wrong, but...

A parent made a comment about my kids sleeping schedule. It started with an inquiry to their ages - 2.5 and 4 and then she said, innocently enough, that I must never get any sleep now that most kids those ages don't nap.

I replied that they are pretty solid sleepers and nap everyday usually from 12 - 2. DS1 varies in that he usually wakes up after 1 hour and 15 mins and every two weeks or so he will just skip sleeping and play quietly. At night they sleep from 7pm to 5:30am. Her response was "Really? I don't think that is normal at all. I can't imagine two little boys sleeping so much. You should let your pediatrician know."

I'm not drugging them. If they don't get naps and a solid night of sleep, you can definitely tell in their behavior. Is that amount of time grossly inappropriate? I have always thought it was okay.

Advertisement

kai_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:22 AM   #2
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: I don't think anything is wrong, but...

You are doing exactly the right thing for your boys I have noticed many people encourage sleep deprivation because they do not realize how much sleep growing bodies and brains need. My children have all napped until at least 5.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:23 AM   #3
ARogers
Registered Users
seller
seller

Sounds normal to me. DS doesn't nap anymore but when both LO's did they would nap for 2hrs and sleep 11ish hours at night.

Last edited by ARogers; 08-24-2012 at 08:26 AM. Reason: wrong #
ARogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:24 AM   #4
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

That's because people ditch out on naps earlier and earlier. Actually what your kids sleep is healthy. Fwiw.

My almost 4 year old sleeps

1pm-3 (sometimes 4)
8pm-7am

Now we have had phases where both my kids were attempting to fight naps. I stayed consistent and patient. They always got back on routine. While some of my friends kids were a hot bloody mess by 3pm. Red eyes, tantrums, yawning. But of course their response was 'he refuses to nap!' lol. Duh. He's a kid. My kid refuses asparagus, but he still has to eat it

Hahaha!

My other son was the same and actually all my daycare kids napped too. Even when mom says they never ever nap.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:26 AM   #5
mommy2sammy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Sounds like our house. Ds (4) naps occasionally but always has quiet time. Dd (2) naps daily for 2-3 hours. They both sleep from 8pm to 8am. You can definitely tell if they haven't had a nap or has had a late night. I know others who sleep less and that is just what works for their kids. Every child/family is different.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:39 AM   #6
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sounds normal.

We get the questions too.

The boys have always had later bed/wake times than most kids due to DH and I's work schedules.

The go to bed around 9pm and wake around 8am. DS2 takes a nap about every other day from 1-3 and DS1 still has to have rest/quiet time for at least an hour on the weekends.

We are slowly transitioning DS1 to an earlyier bed time since he now has to be up by 7am to get ready for school. It has been hard to adjust our nightly routine. We are taking it slowly. By the end of next week hope to have him in bed by 8 or 8:15pm.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:39 AM   #7
ashley84
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My DS sleeps more than that most of the time.

It's not uncommon at all for his daily naps to be 3 hours long. Overnight he sleeps anywhere from 10-13 hours. He's not very consistent. He gets at least 13 hours of sleep per day though, often even more!
Old 08-24-2012, 08:39 AM   #8
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

No that sounds normal. I think a lot of kids just stop napping around the 2-3 age though. There are many things I can't MAKE my kids do. Sleep is one of them. I can make them lay down and stay in their beds but I can't force them to sleep. So if you're kids are napping it's because they need to.

FWIW my DS stopped napping at 2 and there was simply nothing we could have done to make him do it. I can follow the routine and time it right but if he doesn't want to sleep then he doesn't. I would put him down and he would still be awake hours later.

ETA: DD does still nap at 2.5 and she will sleep about 2 hours. They both are in bed by 7:30 and sleep until 6-6:30.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek

Last edited by nonipie; 08-24-2012 at 08:41 AM.
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:47 AM   #9
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't see anything wrong with that. I know very few 2 yr olds that are ready to give up a nap. Ds is 2 1/2 (3 in Oct) and take a 2-2 1/2 hour nap every day still. He sleeps about 11 hours at night. Both my girls gave up a regular nap shortly after 3 but slept 12-13 hours at night. Dd2 is 5 and still sometimes is tired and needs to lay down for a bit.

You know your kids best and know how much sleep they need. I am in no hurry for ds to give up his naps - I like the down time since he is such an active boy.
Rhianna'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:48 AM   #10
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my kids never napped and would only sleep maybe 8 hours a night.
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote