Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-24-2012, 08:53 AM   #11
CarrieMF
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: I don't think anything is wrong, but...

All 3 of my kids stopped napping before 2 & they weren't forced out of it. They were grumpy for about a week & then adjusted. They still slept 10-12hours at night. IF they were tired 1 day they'd nap, if they weren't tired they wouldn't nap.

It didn't effect my personal sleep so I'm not sure how she gets the kids don't nap=less sleep for mom unless she figures all moms also nap when the kids do.

Advertisement

Old 08-24-2012, 09:00 AM   #12
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Other than the fact that I'd go crazy if my kids got up at 5:30, that sounds totally normal to me. DS1 stopped napping around his fourth birthday, but will still go "rest" in his room here and there. If he does happen to fall asleep, he's usually out about two hours. He goes to bed at 8:30 and wakes about 7:30-8.
Mama*Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:14 AM   #13
kai_e
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks mamas! We have tried, in vain, moving bedtimes by 30mins/1hr to see if we could get them to wake up at 6:30am or even 6am but being on a farm, everything seems to wake up early!

DH can't sleep in past 5:30am or he feels weird the rest of the day so I figure I will blame genetics on this one.

I normally wouldn't question their sleep patterns as it works for us but it was just that she was so aghast and honestly thought I should take them to the doc for it that threw me off.
kai_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:15 AM   #14
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Different kids different needs. At twelve my daughter would go to bed at eight and get up at six. She would still add in a nap 2-3 times a week. At eight my son was also going to bed at eight and getting up at six. He rarely if ever needed a nap. He also took longer to fall asleep at night.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:17 AM   #15
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

You may not be drugging your kids but I'm wishing I could drug my youngest when he is up at 2am. Which is every night. JK
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:18 AM   #16
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Don't you remember years ago, kindergarten used to have nap time or quiet time?

Of course it's normal for kids to nap until then. My nephew is 6, he just started 1st grade and one of his biggest struggles is not having the nap he was getting over the summer.

Shoot, it's normal for ME to nap sometimes! lol Course, I am currently growing another napping human so that probably has something to do with it.

Having said all that, my oldest dropped her naps at 18 months old. She slept like 13 or 14 hrs straight through at night, but no naps at all during the day.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:21 AM   #17
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:
If thats what they need then thats what they need. Dd1 ditched naps by 2.5 completely. However, she still needed quiet time and still does at 7.5. Dd2 still naps most days at age 5. Different kids need different things.

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:25 AM   #18
DottieHarley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
If they are abnormal so am I . I attended morning K bc my mom swore that i would have failed PM or all day L! I only gave up napping bc i had no choice in first grade.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:28 AM   #19
november
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Sounds normal to me, too! DD sleeps for approx 9-11 hours per night and takes a 3 (sometimes 4!) hour nap every day.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DS Forum

november is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:29 AM   #20
doodah
Registered Users
seller

oh boy....huge pet peeve of mine....I could post numerous articles about sleep deprivation in the US and changes in parents views regarding napping in the last 10 to 20 years. Not napping is a very current trend and not at all the norm in previous generations. Adults as a whole are sleep deprived with poor sleep habits, its not a surprise that they then teach their kids the same things.

I am not saying that every kid, every where needs a nap.....just that what this person commented to you about is the norm. Your kid does what most kids did in generations past (a full nights rest with a mid day nap for younger ones) and people gasp like you are crazy or something. I cant tell you how many kids (even under one!!) whose parents assured me that they dont nap and then they come to my daycare, get on a routine and start napping here and sleeping better at home.

Anyhow, everyone in this house naps till they go to kindergarten. My daughters private school naps kids even up to 1st grade, just like in the old days I love it. She needs the down time. And yes, people gasp when I tell them I have 3 and 4 year olds still taking a 3 hour nap daily at my daycare. Do they sleep every second of it? usually. but sometimes they just sit quietly till nap time is over. Its okay to get a break. Healthy in fact for kids! and adults too for that matter.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote