Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-24-2012, 10:29 AM   #21
doodah
Registered Users
seller

Re: I don't think anything is wrong, but...

oh boy....huge pet peeve of mine....I could post numerous articles about sleep deprivation in the US and changes in parents views regarding napping in the last 10 to 20 years. Not napping is a very current trend and not at all the norm in previous generations. Adults as a whole are sleep deprived with poor sleep habits, its not a surprise that they then teach their kids the same things.

I am not saying that every kid, every where needs a nap.....just that what this person commented to you about is the norm. Your kid does what most kids did in generations past (a full nights rest with a mid day nap for younger ones) and people gasp like you are crazy or something. I cant tell you how many kids (even under one!!) whose parents assured me that they dont nap and then they come to my daycare, get on a routine and start napping here and sleeping better at home. they also start eating better and are MUCH better behaved. I am having flashbacks about my 1 year old daycare girl that was.....wow....really bad tantrums to say the least....a few weeks of consistent napping and she was a doll for the rest of the year that I had her in care. She was just tired and mom and dad did not even recognize those signs in her, poor thing.

Anyhow, everyone in this house naps till they go to kindergarten. My daughters private school naps kids even up to 1st grade, just like in the old days I love it. She needs the down time. And yes, people gasp when I tell them I have 3 and 4 year olds still taking a 3 hour nap daily at my daycare. Do they sleep every second of it? usually. but sometimes they just sit quietly till nap time is over. Its okay to get a break. Healthy in fact for kids! and adults too for that matter.

Advertisement

Last edited by doodah; 08-24-2012 at 10:32 AM.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:02 AM   #22
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:

All kids are different. My kids never nap past 2, but sleep 12-14 hours a night. We dont have bedtime struggles, or issues with waking early etc. works for us. I dont think it is abnormal though to have kids that nap daily. Of course we have days where my 6 year old takes a nap on the couch, or my 2.5 year old as well, but it is rare here.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:05 AM   #23
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have six full time daycare kids, and that's pretty much the same schedule these kids have. They all take two hour naps, and all sleep at least 10 hours a night.

In 30 years of daycare, I have had only a small handful of kids who were not sleeping solid 8-12 hours a day all the time (unless they were sick)

I think she just thinks her kids sleep schedule is normal, and maybe she thinks yours is not.

BTW, mine slept 12 hours solid, with a short (or no) nap.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:08 AM   #24
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodah View Post
oh boy....huge pet peeve of mine....I could post numerous articles about sleep deprivation in the US and changes in parents views regarding napping in the last 10 to 20 years..
Yep. Parents often fail to notice that their kids with severe behavior problems, also aren't good sleepers. I think they are connected more often than not.

Kids with sleep apnea have huge personality changes after the problem is fixed (tonsils, asthma, whatever) Once they are sleeping well, their daytime behavior improves.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:08 AM   #25
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmelody View Post
All kids are different. My kids never nap past 2, but sleep 12-14 hours a night. We dont have bedtime struggles, or issues with waking early etc. works for us. I dont think it is abnormal though to have kids that nap daily. Of course we have days where my 6 year old takes a nap on the couch, or my 2.5 year old as well, but it is rare here.
This is us.
The recommended range is 12-14 hours for that age group. Some people get it with naps and overnights and some get it with just overnights. Your boys are right where they should be.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:23 AM   #26
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. You're a lucky mama, and that sounds fine to me.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:39 AM   #27
Liadan23
Registered Users
seller

as with all things in parenting, someone ALWAYS has an opinion, no matter which way you do it. if it works for your kids, then great! i don't think there's anything wrong with sleeping that much. i get a lot of crap from people because my almost 3 yr old DOESN'T nap. i could continue trying to force it, and did, up until a couple months ago. but really, what's the point? he's not tired, he rarely fell asleep, and he's not cranky in the evening. soo.....probably he's fine. somedays if he's really tired, as in we did something really active and strenuous in the morning, or he didn't sleep well the night before, or he's sick and not feeling well, then yea he takes a good nap. he always naps at daycare because he has to get up so much earlier to get there. we've tried bringing his bedtime earlier, but he won't fall asleep. he doesn't get out of bed, but i can hear him in there quietly singing or talking to himself for sometimes up to a good hour after we put him down. he sleeps a solid 12+ hours a night if i don't have to wake him to go to daycare, and he's never been a good napper, even as a baby. he started very early on sleeping for 1 long period a day, and then not sleeping the rest of the time. at. all. it would be nice for me if he napped, then i'd get a break in the afternoon on the weekends, but he just doesn't and pushing it was making us all miserable. maybe it's cause i'm a crappy parent. i dunno. whatever. he's happy, i'm happy, it works for us. if what you're doing works for you, then i can't think of a single reason to change it.
Liadan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:58 AM   #28
coquelicot
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't think there's anything wrong with that sleep schedule, either. My 4-year-old is just now starting to give up naps. But she does still take them a few times a week. Give or take 30 minutes, she still gets a 2-hour "rest time" in her room every day whether or not she sleeps (longer if she's asleep at the end of that time). She can read books, play quietly with the toys in there, or just lie in bed and rest. She protests sometimes but knows that that's the way we roll around here. Especially with me being 5 months pregnant, *I* need the rest, too. Don't know when I'll give up the rest time, maybe when she completely quits napping or enters kindergarten or something.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:09 PM   #29
WildflowerCB
Registered Users
Formerly: ri814146
seller
seller

My Mood:

Your sleep schedule sounds great. My 4 year old wont nap for anything, however, I can get the other 14 kids (in my child care) to sleep every day from about 1:30 to 3:00. I have had many a parent swear up and down that their child will not nap, and yet here they are napping every day at my house. I think it takes a very consistent routine and a good solid day of physical activity to ensure nap success. But there are always kids like my own DD who just refuse to nap. I can tell you she is a much nicer child when she gets her nap in though. And both my daughters sleep from about 8pm to 7am every night. Try not to let this other moms comment get to you so much!
Old 08-24-2012, 01:16 PM   #30
Wanderlust
Registered Users
Formerly: jen**eth
seller

If your sons are sleeping those times, then I say it's fine.

My 2.5 year olds usually nap between 130-5pm and then go to sleep at 930 pm to 8am. They're speech delayed and we get home visits from a special education teacher every week. I asked her and two other therapists about because none of my sons friends sleep so much. They said it's normal for my guys since they are constantly moving- they hardly ever sit still. So they need that extra sleep to rest.

Each child is going to be different, just like adults.