Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-24-2012, 03:01 PM   #11
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor
If she's there for 5 hours then 5-7.5 oz is enough for her. Make sure Mom is nursing right before she drops her off and when picking her up.

A bottle is easier to drink from and most babies will happily gulp down much more than that if allowed, however it isn't needed. A slow flow or premie nipple is best. It should take 20 min to drink 2-3ozs.
Mom provided a Born Free glass bottle, I don't think she wants to use plastic bottles but I could be wrong. I will check the flow on these nipples and see if there's something slower. She does gulp it down but then again, my DS won't take a bottle at all so not much to compare to. My other boys had formula at DC so I don't have any experience with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seacat

Playtex Ventaire is slower. The slowest is Dr. Browns with a premie nipple, but the nipple is horrible for a BF baby. Technically its enough milk, but in order to keep baby content it may not be. DS2 is 8 months eats minimal solids and takes 20 oz while I'm gone for 8 hours. I am blessed that I am able to supply that for him. I can't imagine leaving a care provider with just barely the right amount - hard on everyone. I think you've done the right thing by talking to her about it and recommend extra pump sessions last thing at night first thing in the morning. :Hugs: to all.

As something of a lactivist I hate to mention supplementing, but if mom inquires about it I would make sure she knows that she's doing an awesome job and it doesn't make her a failure if she has too.
I don't want to suggest supplementing yet. I know that would be hard on her having just returned to work. It's stressful enough just leaving her. She lost a baby last year and had her rainbow baby almost a year later and has stayed home for 6mos with her. I also let her borrow my PISA to see if she gets more milk than her Ameda Purely Yours which had to be replaced shortly after she got it. So I wonder if that's a factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seacat

You can't reuse unthawed or heated milk. I would be really mad if our nanny put the heated or thawed milk back in the fridge to be reused. I've chucked bottles with 4 oz in it because its been heated. Your kids safety and nutrition should always come first over the fear of having to supplement or not being able to supply enough milk.
Yeah, the last thing I want to do is toss out milk, but I don't want to risk getting baby sick. I have a friend who's a DCP who doesn't follow the standard rules of reheating BM and it kinda bugs me. There are guidelines for a reason. And like I said, I try to thaw and then warm and feed smaller increments to avoid doing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpfgirl
My dd is 3 months. I nurse her at 4 or 5 in the morning and don't get back to her until 4 or 5 in the afternoon. We usually don't nurse again until 6 or so. That's 12-14 hours between sessions and she takes about 16 oz at daycare.

General guideline is that they need an once per hour, but remember you might be feeding her for several hours before or after she's in your care.

I know it makes my dcp nervous, but it's totally okay with me if the baby is starving when I get there. I would rather nurse her than have to pump more.
Thanks! And yes, I try not to feed her too close to pickup time so mom has that time to nurse. :-)

She told me she's been worried about her supply for about a month now, she's going to try my PISA, pumping while nursing and some natural supplements and see how it goes. I'm sure she's eating for comfort a bit right now while getting used to me, but she does have a paci that she takes and I usually can tell the hungry suck versus her fussy I just wanna be held or her tired cry.

Advertisement

Old 08-24-2012, 03:34 PM   #12
twood80
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: How many oz a day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpfgirl View Post
General guideline is that they need an once per hour, but remember you might be feeding her for several hours before or after she's in your care.

I know it makes my dcp nervous, but it's totally okay with me if the baby is starving when I get there. I would rather nurse her than have to pump more.
Can the mama sit down in the car or on a couch and feed baby right before leaving for work, and right away on picking baby up before going home? That helps with the timing issues.
twood80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:50 PM   #13
dudleypippen
Registered Users
seller
seller

Kellymom.com has some great suggestions for working moms, you might point her in that direction. Kudos to you for understanding the difference in feeding needs for breastfeed babies- wish all dcp were so encouraging of nursing!
My LO is almost 5 months. From 8-5 I usually send 17oz (3 3 oz bottles and 2 4 oz bottles). I often have one 3 oz bottle left at the end of the day. The first week DS had an increased need to suck due to the transition, but he settled in quickly. Good luck to all of you
Old 08-24-2012, 04:08 PM   #14
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by twood80

Can the mama sit down in the car or on a couch and feed baby right before leaving for work, and right away on picking baby up before going home? That helps with the timing issues.
She does. She doesn't live far but leaving herself enough time in the morning to get here and nurse is probably going to be hard. We leave for school at 8-8:05 and today she was here at 8:02 so that doesn't leave much time. She did on Wednesday and had time Thurs. I figured she probably nurses before leaving the house but today she said it was about 30 mins before. I'm pretty sure baby is probably eating more due to the transition as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudleypippen
Kellymom.com has some great suggestions for working moms, you might point her in that direction. Kudos to you for understanding the difference in feeding needs for breastfeed babies- wish all dcp were so encouraging of nursing!
My LO is almost 5 months. From 8-5 I usually send 17oz (3 3 oz bottles and 2 4 oz bottles). I often have one 3 oz bottle left at the end of the day. The first week DS had an increased need to suck due to the transition, but he settled in quickly. Good luck to all of you
Thank you! That means a lot to me! I've personally had some doozy DCPs in my time and know what I don't want to do, that's for sure! This is someone I went to high school with and was also my neighbor for a few years so we've become friends. I want her to be able to BF as long as she can and not feel guilty for returning to work and having to use formula to boot! Plus the financial aspect of it as well. I have pointed her to Kelleymom.com in the past so I will do that again.

Eta- Dad stays home with her on Mondays so I told her to let me know how much she eats with him and what her schedule was like. I also keep a detailed log of her day and email it to her.

Last edited by TwinKristi; 08-24-2012 at 04:11 PM.
TwinKristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:24 PM   #15
ofthemoonsglow
Registered Users
Formely: Mia**da
seller
seller

My Mood:

When i worked my daughter ate about 10 to 12 ozs in 9 hours. Most places say 1 to 1.5 ozs per hour for a mostly breast fed baby. I think you and the mom should really check out Kellymom for some info. You may know all of this but i added links anyway.

How much should the baby need -> http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/milkcalc/

Feeding the rest of a bottle -> http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/m...expressedmilk/

HOw to bottle feed a breastfed infant ->http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/f...ottle-feeding/
Old 08-24-2012, 04:42 PM   #16
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Baby is overfed. You can feed again from same bottle. Change nipple.

Visit Kellymom.com

No wonder mom isn't producing 'enough'. In this situation, she is likely producing just the right amount but baby is not being regulated. Stop when the 4oz bottle is done and find other methods of soothing.

No bottles bigger than 4.

For my daycare babies I adjusted 2.5 per 2-3 hours. Perfect system for most breasted babies. It's okay If they cry after a bottle. Normal, even. Their stomach is the size of their fist. That poor baby is gorging itself :/
Old 08-24-2012, 04:53 PM   #17
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Thanks, mom emailed with info she found on Kelleymom.com so obviously i don't need to point her that way. But according to KM she's eating too much. Its funny because when I fed her less at a time the last 2 days she was much fussier. Today she ate more at a time and was happier for longer after. I also offer her paci so I don't just jump to a bottle. Plus I have to pour and warm the bottle so during that time she's crying and the paci doesn't help and walking/holding/talking, etc doesn't help but the bottle did. She also was able to go longer before mom got her as opposed to needing a bottle within an hour of mom getting here. She ate a lot, but it was really only 2.5-3 oz more than the days prior and she was happier for longer. I encouraged mom to look at slower flow bottle nipples. It's hard to have an unhappy crying baby, especially with a baby of my own who them is unhappy and crying in response. I'm not able to hold my own crying baby and then all 3 of us are unhappy and stressed out. Not fun! I was able to pump more than my baby needed when I was EPing for several weeks before, during and after my 2 surgeries but I was worried about it after reading about moms who couldn't pump enough.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:16 PM   #18
hpfgirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My DCP gave my DD 22 oz. today! I couldn't believe it. I nursed her this morning too, so she probably had around 28 oz today before we even got home from daycare. I pumped before I nursed her for bed time, so I hope she didn't get more than 4 oz. Maybe she'll sleep in tomorrow.

I know dcp is bottle propping. I suspect she's doing it every time dd cries and just letting it drip into her mouth even when she's not hungry. She also changes dd's clothes several times a day because "she's a messy eater".

This is the same dcp we used for ds and we never had any bfing issues. I am still pumping more than enough and still donating milk, so that's not a problem.

Is there any other reason I should object to how she's doing it? DD seems happy.

3T/4T Trainers, and Toddler AIOs for sale.
hpfgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:35 PM   #19
wyoming butterfly
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Growth spurt maybe
Old 09-03-2012, 10:16 AM   #20
katherineemmons
Registered Users

My Mood:

The playtex ventaire slow flow nipples are what I used with my daughter when breastfeeding and I had to offer a bottle. You def can not save anything that has been heated and partially fed though. I hated throwing away anything unused but its just not safe to save it! At 6 months my daughter was eating 6 oz every 2 to 3 hours but she eats a lot. I had to supplement formula as I could not pump enough to keep up with her.
katherineemmons is offline   Reply With Quote