Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-27-2012, 06:57 AM   #21
Joyful Tie Dyes
Banned for reasons unrelated to transactions
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:
Re: So I have GD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agla View Post
You need to meet with someone that specializes diabetes nutrition and diabetes. My first dietician basically had to convince my first doctor that I needed to start testing my sugars. He was going towards medication before giving me a fighting chance to turn things around. When I switched to my midwives they made me meet with their nutritionist ASAP. Anyone changing their diet dramatically like this should have guidance
I'm asking tomorrow for a referral to a nutritionist. I'm not willing to go on meds without a fighting chance.

I was instructed to eat a diet that is low carb, no sugar, low fat, high fiber and high protein. What's left to eat?

Advertisement

Last edited by Joyful Tie Dyes; 08-27-2012 at 07:33 AM.
Joyful Tie Dyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:08 AM   #22
Agla
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Don't worry. You'll be eyeing that chicken breast or piece of fish like its a piece of chocolate cake soon enough.

I know when I was transitioning I ate lots of salads. I had at least a side salad with every meal. It helped with the "hungries."

Earn easy Amazon GCs with Perk TV
Soft Star shoes are awesome. Buy them here.
Agla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:25 AM   #23
Joyful Tie Dyes
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:

I love salad, so that's a plus at least.

This morning I ate a bowl of cereal that was on my approved list and my blood sugar is an insane 192. The highest I have ever gotten.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:37 AM   #24
Agla
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyful Tie Dyes View Post
I love salad, so that's a plus at least.

This morning I ate a bowl of cereal that was on my approved list and my blood sugar is an insane 192. The highest I have ever gotten.
Maybe some person out there would not spike if they eat a bowl of cereal. (although I find that hard to imagine) So carbs with some carbs poured on it doesn't seem like a good bet.

Take that item and cross it right off your list. Was it some Kashi cereal? They suggested the bars to me and I spiked.

Make yourself a nice veggie omelet in the morning.

I'm afraid to ask what else is on your list.

Earn easy Amazon GCs with Perk TV
Soft Star shoes are awesome. Buy them here.
Agla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:46 AM   #25
Done at 3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
With my first I had GD that was more difficult (avoided meds though) than the GD I just had with DS3. I found what worked with my body and tended to eat the same things all the time, breakfast -eggs and 1 slice of whole wheat toast and a cup of milk. Snacks were cucumbers or red bell peppers etc... With some veggie dip, lunch and dinners were mainly proteins. Once you get used to the carb counting its really not that hard. Always avoid fruit in the morning, and if your having a hard time add some exercise before or after meals ( experiment to see which has a stronger effect on your sugars) adding a 20 minute walk after meals was enough to keep my sugars under control and I was able to avoid insulin. It was mandatory for anyone visiting after DS1 was born to bring me chocolates and delicious non GD approved items
Old 08-27-2012, 01:37 PM   #26
Joyful Tie Dyes
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:

Thanks for all the advice everyone! I am just so frustrated right now. Done at 3 I think eat the same thing everyday is exactly what I need to do just as soon as I find out what works good.

So far wheat toast with an egg and cheese and bacon seems to work well for lunch (never higher than 108). String cheese and grapes for a snack seems ok.

Agla a veggie omelet sounds like a yummy idea. I'm supposed to eat two eggs a day anyway. And I agree the cereal clearly will not work.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:04 PM   #27
Patchworktiner
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was always told milk or fruit was a no-no in the morning. For some reason, blood sugars are so out of whack in the mornings, so it's best to stick w/ protein and minimal carbs.
Patchworktiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:39 PM   #28
Ryder
Registered Users
seller
seller

The only cereal I could eat was the special k protein plus. Everything else pushed me over and even that had to be a small bowl. It helped I could get that crunch in though. I was on bed rest so cooking for myself was out of the question, but I did a 30, 15, 45, 15, 60, 15 but the last snack I had to have 9g protein too and that late night snack really helped my fasting in the morning. Good luck! I agree once you figure out what works for you it's not too bad
Happily married to "M" and loving life with my toddler "B" 8.17.10. Waiting for #2, my christmas baby!!
Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:42 PM   #29
Joyful Tie Dyes
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:

So after lunch today my blood sugar was 83. I don't get it.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:42 AM   #30
Joyful Tie Dyes
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:

fasting 107