Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-26-2012, 02:05 PM   #11
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:
I'm a sahm of a 4yr and 12m old. Whatever we are eating, we all sit at the table and usually do it family style. I'm not on a rigid schedule so we just eat when dinner is ready. Everyone eats basically the same meal, but I'm flexible in the execution. My daughter loves carbs so I do encourage her to eat the chicken or what have you.

We have one sort of unusual rule at the table: you need to be wearing clothes. My son gets away with a diaper lately but my daughter needs to wear a shirt and unders, bare minimum. (My house is like a nudist colony - my children dislike wearing clothing!)

Advertisement

Old 08-26-2012, 02:09 PM   #12
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by megenic
If someone leaves the table early, they have to go play somewhere away from the table...no disrupting those still eating. I don't have consequences for leaving the table early as long as it is done politely.
Same here, leave when you're done but take your play elsewhere.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:29 PM   #13
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Typically between 7 and 7:30. It has always been around 7pm.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:55 PM   #14
lanwenyi
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Dinner time at your house?

We have dinner together every night, usually around 4:30-5:00. (DD is asleep by 5:30).

Everyone eats what is served or they don't eat.

If the kids won't try their food, they must sit at the table until everyone is done or until they've tried a minimum of 1 bite of each thing served (excluding any dishes that we know are too spicy for that child or that have something that child is allergic to).

If they try their food and decide they are done eating, they may get down, clear their dishes and go play in the play area. The kids are generally done eating in 5-15 min. DH and I usually take longer.

Kids are 4 and 3 (DD turns 5 in abt 2 wks).
Old 08-26-2012, 03:57 PM   #15
megenic
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teachere

This is a really good idea. I tend to stress over dinner too much and getting them to eat. We lived with my FIL for a year and he got them on a dessert thing after meals. I try to do fruit, but I hate that they expect something. Do you do dessert?
No, no dessert here. Well, sometimes if we have out of town guests I will make a dessert, or sometimes in the summer we will walk to the store and get ice cream. But as a rule, my kids don't get much sugar.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:54 PM   #16
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:
Our girls are 7 and 5 so a little older then your boys but we've always had the same rules. Ive always typically sat with them although the last about 1.5 yrs we've all sat as a family. They eat what we eat unless I fix something they have tried multiple times and dont like but the base of the meal is the same. Ex-they dont like shrimp so if we have shrimp kabobs they will get chicken kabobs and have the same sides or if I make chicken n rice Ill leave some chicken and rice out, serve it seperately on their plates(not sure why they dont like it together lol) and serve the same sides. As for getting up multiple times Ive always cleared their plates. If they leave I asume they are done so the meal ends. They do not get it back. It doesnt take many missed meals/snacks to learn.

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 05:37 PM   #17
alyssa&rylan's-mommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have an almost 5yo, a 3.5yo, and a 13 month old. The almost 5yo and 3.5yo sit at the table with no problems, but I think that's just because they've come to know that is what is expected from them. If they're having a bad night and do get down too many times, they are sent away from the table and can come back and finish their meal alone after. We all eat together (except when DH is working night shift, then it's just me and the kids). I don't make special meals, and they must at least try everything on their plate. They can eat as much or as little as they like, but they aren't having anything until the next time food is served (we do breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, supper, snack).
alyssa&rylan's-mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 06:48 PM   #18
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

Dinner is around 6. 1 child who is almost 2.

She eats what we eat. Without exception. I mean, I guess if dinner was something she truly didn't like, I'd come up with an alternate solution, but I don't even know what that'd be as she doesn't really do traditional toddler foods. No PB&J, not really Mac&cheese. It happened once that we thought maybe the food was too salty, so I gave her some pasta salad from lunch. She didn't eat much, but I didn't worry and she didn't starve.

Currently she eats like 4 bites and then pushes away from the table to play. We've been allowing this because well.. it's easier. She continues to come up to us and ask for bites from her plate, but she's not screaming at us to get down. It's a bad habit, I guess. I have considered fixing it, but in reality, I don't care that she's running around playing and coming back for bites. It did make it harder when we went out to eat earlier since that's not exactly an option when you're out.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:06 PM   #19
lalaura
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My kids go to bed early (7:30 usually) so we do dinner around 5 or 5:30. I have a 5 year old and a 2 1/2 year old. I expect my oldest try whatever is on her plate and I always have something my 2 1/2 year old will eat because she has some feeding issues. Usually whatever the "guarantee" food is for the 2 1/2 year old the oldest will eat as well.

I don't cook anything that is super fancy or things I know my kids don't like.

ETA: the youngest is in a high chair and the 5 year old gets a warning the first time she gets up the 2nd time her plate gets taken away
please excuse craziness - I am on my phone

Proud SAHM to 2 beautiful girls J (03/11/07) and Z (01/18/10)

Last edited by lalaura; 08-26-2012 at 07:07 PM.
lalaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:11 PM   #20
willownz
Registered Users

My Mood:

Ours is 6pm or 6.30 at the latest. We eat together always (my Dh works at home). The kids are 2, 4 and 6. They have always eaten whatever we eat. If they don't eat it they don't get anything else and they have to try a little bit of the food they don't like.

Last edited by willownz; 08-26-2012 at 07:11 PM. Reason: to make sense
willownz is offline   Reply With Quote