Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-26-2012, 06:21 PM   #21
cmarsh31
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Dinner time at your house?

Dinner is generally between 5-5:30. Kids sat in a booster seat until they were old enough/mature enough to sit in a chair for the meal. There is no getting down until you're done. Most of the time we all eat the same thing, unless I make something too spicy or whatever (or something that I KNOW no one except me likes - yeah, I cook 3 meals a day almost every day of the year, sometimes I make MY favorites )

We've always eaten dinner as a family. Infants were in a swing by the table or whatever, but everyone is always there.

Advertisement

Old 08-26-2012, 06:22 PM   #22
cmarsh31
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Dinner is generally between 5-5:30. Kids sat in a booster seat until they were old enough/mature enough to sit in a chair for the meal. There is no getting down until you're done. Most of the time we all eat the same thing, unless I make something too spicy or whatever (or something that I KNOW no one except me likes - yeah, I cook 3 meals a day almost every day of the year, sometimes I make MY favorites )

We've always eaten dinner as a family. Infants were in a swing by the table or whatever, but everyone is always there.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:58 PM   #23
mommysweetpea
Registered Users
seller

My kids are 6 and 4. We eat around 4:30 because otherwise my kids are having massive meltdowns because they are starving. They eat what I make unless it's something spicy or they genuinely don't like it (which is just a couple things). We all sit at the table together and they know they need to sit still and remember their manners (we try!). My DS had gotten in the bad habit of leaning his chair back on the wall. It took a couple of dinners where he was left with no chair and had to stand and eat before he remembered that rule. We always have a little dessert, most of the time it's fruit or applesauce. Occasionally we have cookies or ice cream for a treat.
mommysweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:53 AM   #24
kai_e
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Dinner is at 5 - 5:15pm. DH gets home at 3:30pm and he does all the cooking in our house so it is ready when I walk in the door from work.

Our kids are 4 and 2 1/2. Our oldest has always had a problem with staying still during meals, but I believe that is our fault since before we had DS2, we were a big "grazing" family.

Now, he has to sit at least 10 minutes. If he chooses to get up after that time, his dish is cleared and he knows that is it, no more food. The kids can go play after they are finished eating, but have to do it in the playroom away where they aren't disturbing us.

Dessert is usually fruit, but sometimes jello (DH has a serious thing for jello) or, gasp, cookies!
kai_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:14 AM   #25
Leah52
Registered Users
seller
seller

My kids are 12, 11, 9, 6 and 18 months. Eating dinner together as a family is important to us and we try to do it every night. My husband is working and going to school so there are some nights we have to eat without him and everyone is sad and really wants to wait. Dinner is a social time for us, we like to talk and share our days together. Usually we eat between 6-8, any later than that and it starts cutting into bed time.

I cook one meal for the whole family. My kids are not picky but I do allow them to have one or two things I don't make them eat. I don't do replacements though, if they don't like something then they just don't eat it.

Everyone stays at the table until we are done. With so many kids it can get wild if people start getting up and running around so everyone stays in their chairs unless they need to get more water or sometimes a little might need to go to the bathroom.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:05 PM   #26
OneDayAtATime
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Usually around 5:30. We try to eat at the table together most nights but it doesn't always happen that way.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 08-27-2012, 12:15 PM   #27
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

We eat at 630. The kids eat what we eat and usually stay seated (4.5, 3 and 18 months). We had to remind them, ALOT, until they got it. The baby is still in abooster so he cant get down on her own. We dont serve dessert, unless its a special occasion.

Search with SwagBucks & earn gift cards!
BNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:34 PM   #28
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

We usually eat around 6 or 630. Sometimes it's different on the weekends. How about making a picture with the food for the preschooler? DD always thought that was funny when we did it for her
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:57 PM   #29
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I make a lot of food for a meal. There is the focus point (meat or pasta) and then plenty of sides. The sides depend on what the focus point is, but there is always an array of fruits and veggies. All the food goes on the table (unless it's in the crock pot) and we all pick from it. Rarely ds1 doesn't want anything and then he gets the default PB sandwich, yogurt and fruit.

We all sit at the table to eat. However ds1 is special needs and doesn't sit well for long, so he may get down here and there. Which is fine and it's something he'll grow out of. I don't make them eat all the food or anytihng like that, I believe that creates bad eating habits, and rarely do we have dessert. I don't like using dessert as a punishment or for my kids to expect a "treat" after food.

We also have healthy snacks throughout the day.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:01 PM   #30
AcrossTheUniverse
Registered Users
Formerly: ReiSapphireJade
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by megenic View Post
We eat at 5:00. That's because my kids start bedtime routine at 6:00. They eat what we eat...I do a monthly meal plan and I would say 90 percent of the meals are things they like. I usually also have some cheese chunks and cut up raw veggies they can eat if they aren't fond of the meal.

I don't make a big deal out of meal times at all. We a sit at the table for every meal, but if someone isnt hungry, they don't have to stay. They have to ask to be excused then clear their dishes away. They know there will be no more food until the next eating time. I do three meals and three snacks a day. If someone doesn't eat a meal I don' t worry about it because I know there will be healthy food available again in a couple of hours.

If someone leaves the table early, they have to go play somewhere away from the table...no disrupting those still eating. I don't have consequences for leaving the table early as long as it is done politely.

My girls are 4.5 and 2.5
Pretty much the same expectations at our house, and we also have dinner around 5pm. My kiddos are 6, 5, 3, 2, and 9 months.
*i* Loved and Lost (6/12), (9/12), & (2/13) *i*
AcrossTheUniverse is offline   Reply With Quote