Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-27-2012, 08:26 AM   #1
mama.oak
Registered Users

Cloth diapers suck...

...or so that's what I've been hearing. I'm a first-time-mom-to-be and have been interested in CDing well before even trying to get pregnant. My initial interest came from the thought that it seems more comfortable, as I've always preferred natural fibers close to my skin and don't enjoy plastic by my butt. I have other reasons, as well... but comfort sparked my initial interest.

I've been getting a lot of negative feedback, though. My mom initially CD'd me and likes to tell me the story of how I woke up shivering in my own pee and she felt so guilty that she stopped and has been anti-cd's ever since. I'd imagine CD's have changed since the 70s, no? I also figure I could use a disposable overnight? It does not have to be all or nothing. Also, I'm sure mamas here have great overnight tips.

My hubby has also been talking to people and he is wary, to say the least. He tells me everyone he's asked who tried CDing gave up (he's asking men on his jobsite, at least it's cute that he's inquiring to a bunch of construction dudes). So, I worry about investing money in CDers only to join in the ranks of those who tried and failed. Of course, there's the other side of me that only wants to try MORE, because I'm stubborn tenacious like that.

Finally, none of my friends or family (besides mom) use/used CDs and I'm naturally hesitant about the extra effort of laundering, being on the go, etc. Also, the CD world is so new to me and I don't know where to begin. I've sort of narrowed it down to covers and inserts or prefolds (as opposed to AIO) but I'm still so confused.

If you've read this far, thanks! I'm looking forward to learning from all of you.

Please excuse any ipad typos.

Advertisement

mama.oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:41 AM   #2
Leah52
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Cloth diapers suck...

Tell your husband to come to my husband's job site and talk to him. We've been using cloth for about 6 years now and I love it. My last baby was the first time I used cloth since birth and it was a lot easier than I thought it was going to be. There are some trial and error hurdles to cross but once you find your groove it can actually be enjoyable. If you really want to try it then do, if you decide that it just isn't going to work for your family most cloth diapers have good resale value. And yes, they have changed a lot since the 70's although some people, myself including, still like using old school diapers like flats and prefolds the covers are much nicer these days.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:49 AM   #3
Hands&Fire Pottery
Registered Users
Formerly: hello2000
seller

My Mood:

Even if you do have to resell at some point, you saved money on paper diapers and you can recoup at least some of your investment. We have saved lots of $ with CD's.
Hands&Fire Pottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:50 AM   #4
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My dh was pretty hesitant but now LOVES them! And my mom, oh, she was so opposed we hid them from her for 6 months (not to hard she only visited twice). But now they are both converts and love my cloth. I am actually not using any at the moment since my boy is potty trained. But they are awesome. Used them on my boy for three years and have no interest in going back ever should the need arise.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:58 AM   #5
waterisntsomething
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had the same worries when I was pregnant but I've found the longer I do it the easier it gets. My main reason is the money I save....every time I use a disposable I feel liek I'm throwing a quarter in the trash. They are definitely more comfortable and if you use fleece liners it wicks the moisture away from the skin so they stay dry a lot longer. I also use a disposable at night sometimes. My SO has warmed up to cloth and will even change Ds with it every now and then but I do most of the diapering so I get to diaper with what I want. I use prefolds and coversand honestly going out and using cloth is no harder than disposables, you just have to get a wetbag. This site is great for an questions or issues you might have.
And my vintage shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/usedbutnotabused
waterisntsomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:23 AM   #6
mama.oak
Registered Users

Your fb has been very supportive and helpful, and exactly why I joined this forum. Being a new mom is overwhelming to begin with, so it's disconcerting when people are so vocal against something my fledgling mommy-instincts are telling me to at least try (plus, one of my pet peeves is unsolicitated advice, which I seem to be getting a LOT of lately).

A local hospital is offering a CDing class and DH is more than willing to attend. I think it will be helpful for both of us and I'm glad he's keeping an open mind.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:24 AM   #7
mama.oak
Registered Users

Oops - double-post

Last edited by mama.oak; 08-27-2012 at 10:25 AM.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:25 AM   #8
beansie19
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was also worried about how my unconventional choice would go over. But I knew I wanted to use cloth from the start. I just couldn't imagine wrapping my new baby in plastic and chemicals. Cloth has proven to be better, hands down, in every aspect. There are many options so try a bunch. Don't buy too many of one kind in the beginning. I recommend some fitteds rather than prefolds for a better fit on newborns. And don't be afraid to try a few flats as well. They have endless possibilities, are easy to fold, less bulky, wash clean, dry in no time and you might just love them. Oh, and the laundry is nothing. It is just part of the routine and much better than having to run out to the store when you run out.
Good luck and Welcome!
Mary, SAHM and DW to DH, Jay Proud parents of Emma Bean! :: 08/19/11. We had a med-free VB and are CDing , BFing, NVaxing, BFMing (baby food making~made that one up), part time ECing, sometimes BWing and ex-CSing ! Pleased to meet you!
beansie19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:56 AM   #9
A21Lee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Wink Re: Cloth diapers suck...

I do both. Maybe I don't want to commit. Or maybe I like to return to the old faithful, comfortable standby. Some days I feel like putting in the effort for CDing . Other days (and nights or outings) I do disposable diapers. I've gotten a lot of great deals on disposies that people's kids have outgrown on Craigs, so I don't have to feel bad about the retail cost. When I go retail, I wait for sales in bulk or clearance and always have coupons. As far as CDing, I do hybrid with the G Diapers system and use both inserts-cloth and disposies. I rationalize the cost of the covers by what I save by NOT buying disposables. I find gently used covers for around $10. I could easily spend around $1 a day on disposable diapers. So if I do CDing with cloth inserts for 10 days, each cover has roughly paid for itself (minus the laundry cost of course). I see it as a reward to buy more covers. For every 10 days I use the CD system, I get to buy a new cute cover! The added benefit is that the Gs hold onto their resale value. So you get most of your money back in resale when you need to go up to the next size or save for subsequent kids! OR if you want to try them out, buy used, and if they don't work out for your LO sell them to ME!! Best of luck in your decision, but have confidence in the fact that you will know, more than anyone else, what is best for your babies. It's you and your husband against the world and I'm sure you'll agree on the best way to bring up your babies (including what goes on their butt)!
A21Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:56 AM   #10
hollbark
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just started for the first time also and LOVE it! It's worth a shot Buy some used diapers and try it out. If you don't like it, pass them along or sell them back.
hollbark is offline   Reply With Quote