Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-27-2012, 08:23 PM   #1
LleytonandJaydensmommy
DO NOT FSOT with! Unresolved transaction issues 2/2013!

My Mood:
inducing labor

has anyone ever taken castor oil to induce labor?? I have walked 2 miles every night for the last week, had sex, and i am debating on taking some castor oil...opinions?

Advertisement

LleytonandJaydensmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:31 PM   #2
kelpie169
Registered Users
seller

I didit with both mine. First all it did was make me sick. Second I went into labor that night. But I will say that I WON'T be doing it again this time around. It seriously is gross-which you probably already know. It tastes like melted lipstick and has a horrible texture and consistency. Ew I'm gagging even thinking about it. But if you think you're cervix is primed an everything it doesn't hurt.
kelpie169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:46 PM   #3
rchamberlain
Registered Users
seller

Re: inducing labor

I tried it with my first - it did send me into contractions for hours, but they weren't painful and didn't progress. They gave me a muscle relaxant in the hospital and sent me home. She was born 5 days later-almost two weeks' late. My second child was born at 42 weeks and my third was 5 days early! I have heard it works for some, diarrhea for others and zilch for the rest of us! It is naaaaaasty stuff, though!
rchamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:54 PM   #4
littlemsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

IMO I wouldn't do it! YUCK!!!
Kaleb,
Selah,**Shiloh @17w**,
Kendrick,
**Baby@8w 8/13**, Baby #7 5/2014
littlemsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:26 PM   #5
thekuan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I did it twice with my first. I don't recommend it. It's also a risk for the baby producing meconium before it's born, since what you eat, the baby eats, and it could force the baby to go to the bathroom.

I'm 40 weeks this week, and I'm doing everything BUT that this time. It didn't do anything but make me sick last time.
thekuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:30 PM   #6
MacMomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

I didn't. But I had sex and used my breast pump LIGHTLY for nipple stimulation the night on a Friday night and woke up the next morning with early labor contractions.

"But I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed, and I am convinced that He is able to guard until that Day what has been entrusted to me"
MacMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:44 PM   #7
LleytonandJaydensmommy
DO NOT FSOT with! Unresolved transaction issues 2/2013!

My Mood:

Well I took it a few hours ago...i haven't gotten sick or anything...but i have EXCRUCIATING hip pain and light contractions....so maybe its working???
LleytonandJaydensmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:06 AM   #8
el's mama
Registered Users
seller
seller

I did but why would you do it before your due date? It's much more likely to work if you're already having signs of labor or if you're post dates.

Last edited by el's mama; 08-30-2012 at 12:09 AM.
el's mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:13 AM   #9
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i did with ds2, i took 3 oz at 2 pm, went into labor at 8pm and delivered right around midnight. i didnt think it was too bad, pretty much like taking a laxative.

from what i have been reading passing meconium doesnt seem like a big risk since castor oil doesnt enter the baby's blood stream there should be no reason why it would have a laxative effect on the baby.
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:41 AM   #10
clatchford2011
Registered Users
seller

DDC

I did it with DD got good contractions but I wouldn't recommend it. It tastes god awful and the baby can poop before they are born and it can pose a problem of them inhaling it before they come which isn't good. I would go with nipple stimulation, EPO if you have it, and tons of RRL tea, and if you see your OB soon ask to have your membranes stripped.

Catie : Married to my Soldier and bestfriend for 4 awesome years,
Mommy to my little sunshine Isabel Born 12/30/2008
and my little rainbow Jacob Born 11/15/2012
clatchford2011 is offline   Reply With Quote