Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-28-2012, 02:50 PM   #1
babylove921
Registered Users
Formerly: mrsdrums1

My Mood:
18 month old, 70 words?

I was reading an article on Language during the early toddler months. And got slightly concerned about DS1. He says about 6 or so words. Meme, mama, dada, baby, ello(hello), nono and my. He can also combine them. My mama, my baby. It said 18 months should have 15 words. Yikes.
I wrote a post of facebook should I be worried or is he just being stubborn.
A friend said, well my DD said 70 words at 18 months. I'm not sure how that was suppose to help me. After just telling her Sunday I wasn't doing so good.
But has anyone had a child speak that soon, that many words.
Then she had the nerve to say, "we read to her daily, try that". Um yea I do. Thanks.

Sent from my SPH-M580 using DS Forum

Advertisement

Old 08-28-2012, 03:00 PM   #2
BottomOfMyHearts
Registered Users
Formerly: NewFoundFaith
seller

My Mood:
Re: 18 month old, 70 words?

I think some children are just very vocal and some are not. *hugs*
Did your baby walk sooner than average? Some focus on motion skills than verbal.

New Contest coming Soon!Please visit my Facebook store! <--Click
BottomOfMyHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:03 PM   #3
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

some kids just don't "feel the need" to talk. Take my dd for instance. She is almost 2 (turns two on Sept 11th) and only says "Dadda", "mimi" (milk), "baby", "eese" (cheese)

if you are concerned...then you can get a speech evaluation. DD is going through the process now.
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:04 PM   #4
SamanthaSews
Registered Users

My Mood:
I wouldn't worry too much about it. A friends son at 18m wast talking very much at all, only a few words. Now at 20 months he seems to have taken off verbally, like it just clicked. I would give him more time that's all.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 08-28-2012, 03:08 PM   #5
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

Some children are more vocal (repeat repeat repeat)

and you don't worry until after the 18month-24month word explosion. Trust me, in another month, you'll be wondering why you were even worried. Or, if not, then you'll know that your child either isn't very vocal, or needs helps learning to communicate vocally.

We had a speech evaluation and started getting therapy at about 16months. By the time we started (eval was at 14months), she had caught up, but we've been doing the monthly sessions to keep her in the system until 2. Basically, a worker comes and plays with us and makes suggestions as she sees fit. (aka, don't let her just scream for food, encourage her to say 'eat' or whatever).

animal sounds count
signs count
any attempt to communicate needs counts

and yes, as someone mentioned earlier, if children are developing other skills (in our case, gross motor), then another area will seem to fall behind. but it's not really behind, it's just on the backburner until they are done learning the other new thing.

Last edited by EmilytheStrange; 08-28-2012 at 03:10 PM.
EmilytheStrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:19 PM   #6
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Dd1 easily said 70+ words by 18 months. She started talking at 8 months and was talking 3-4 word sentences by 12 months. She loved learning new words and had a HUGE vocabulary.

Dd2 abd ds didn't talk until almost 2. Dd2 didn't say anything at 18 months - not even mama. Ds said about 5 words at 18 months and not really regularly.

So I've had both ends of the spectrum. And from observing my kids and various kids of friends, dd1 and her huge vocabulary was very unusual. She still has a knack for words now in 2nd grade. Most kids I've been around don't really take off with talking until closer to 2. Most have more words than mine did at 18 months but still probably less than 20. But almost all toddlers of friends seem to really explode witht their vocabulary at age 2. Even my pedi isn't really concerned about number of words at 18 months as long as they are communicating in some way (pointing and grunts count for him).
Rhianna'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:20 PM   #7
shen7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Ah, 15 words, whatever, that's just a made up number. Your son sounds fine to me! My DD at 15 months doesn't talk much but she sure gets her point across!! She is very active, mobile, and action oriented. Like she'll point to the door and yell, making eye contact, then while holding my gaze will pick up her shoes and bring them to me. Lol. But words, no, I'd say she has like 2 words, dog and up. She doesn't even say mama or dada. I'm pretty sure most of these moms with big talkers have better imaginations than I do and just find more words in what I hear as random babbling.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:24 PM   #8
babylove921
Registered Users
Formerly: mrsdrums1

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shen7
Ah, 15 words, whatever, that's just a made up number. Your son sounds fine to me! My DD at 15 months doesn't talk much but she sure gets her point across!! She is very active, mobile, and action oriented. Like she'll point to the door and yell, making eye contact, then while holding my gaze will pick up her shoes and bring them to me. Lol. But words, no, I'd say she has like 2 words, dog and up. She doesn't even say mama or dada. I'm pretty sure most of these moms with big talkers have better imaginations than I do and just find more words in what I hear as random babbling.
Yep. He goes to the fridge, opens it, and gets out a juice box and brings it to me to open. No need to say "drink", KWIM.

Sent from my SPH-M580 using DS Forum
Old 08-28-2012, 03:24 PM   #9
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Every child is different. If it will soothe your mama worry go ahead and refer im for an Early INtervention. Can't hurt. I have 4 birth children and they have all had differences in speach. DD1 was speaking in clear fluent sentences well before 24 months and people regularly ask us if she was a little person DS was pretty average, DD2 spoke minimally by age 2 and then literally over night began stuttering very badly. DD3 is near 21months and uses WELL over 100 words and phrases appropriately. Everybody is just different and those guidlines are just an average
Old 08-28-2012, 03:29 PM   #10
doulamomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

As long as he is effectively communicating his needs, you really have nothing to worry about. My dd took forever to talk. Now, I can't believe I was ever worried. She is NEVER quiet lol

Sent from my droid