Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-28-2012, 06:43 PM   #21
momofdestructobaby
Registered Users
seller

Re: 18 month old, 70 words?

I would wait a bit before you worry.

At our well baby clinics here, I was told that they want them to be saying 20 words by 18 months and 100 words by 24 months. If they aren't they can/will refer for intervention.

My ODD was saying 200+ words at 18 months, speaking in sentences and telling stories. It was kinda freakish TBH.

My YDD was only saying 12 words at 18 months so by comparison I was very concerned. Well baby was going to refer by I asked to wait to 24 months and see what happened. Between 22-24 months was a language explosion. Now, at nearly 3 years old I just want her to shut up most of the time LOL.

Good luck

Advertisement

momofdestructobaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:54 PM   #22
Samandy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It's not unusual but it's not typical. My DD had at least 150-200 words by 18 months, my DS had maybe 5 words.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:56 PM   #23
aunt_freya
Registered Users

My Mood:

OP, girls tend to be more verbal than boys. Your friend shouldn't have said that because it's not only not helpful, her kid is the exception and yours is the norm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shen7 View Post
Ah, 15 words, whatever, that's just a made up number. Your son sounds fine to me! My DD at 15 months doesn't talk much but she sure gets her point across!! She is very active, mobile, and action oriented. Like she'll point to the door and yell, making eye contact, then while holding my gaze will pick up her shoes and bring them to me. Lol. But words, no, I'd say she has like 2 words, dog and up. She doesn't even say mama or dada. I'm pretty sure most of these moms with big talkers have better imaginations than I do and just find more words in what I hear as random babbling.
Wow... yeah, I typed up all the words Ellie said at 18 months so I could use them on a scrapbook page. I just counted, and it was 80 + animal sounds, including a couple of compound words and several simple sentences. At that point she was--and still is--averaging a new word a day. (Today's was "buttcrack". We're proud). However, that many words at that young of an age is an exception. In fact, it's sort of creepy. That doesn't mean that the moms who have big talkers are making it up or hearing things.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:02 PM   #24
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My DS1 was right in line with your DS at 18 months. He was reading alone before his fourth birthday. My niece had at least 100 words at that point.
Mama*Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:20 PM   #25
shen7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aunt_freya
Wow... yeah, I typed up all the words Ellie said at 18 months so I could use them on a scrapbook page. I just counted, and it was 80 + animal sounds, including a couple of compound words and several simple sentences. At that point she was--and still is--averaging a new word a day. (Today's was "buttcrack". We're proud). However, that many words at that young of an age is an exception. In fact, it's sort of creepy. That doesn't mean that the moms who have big talkers are making it up or hearing things.
Oh, I wasn't talking about you, of course. But lots of moms I hear "talk" to their kids and the kids babbles back and they say "he said X!" And I'm like, huh?? Lol. Like the kid says "buh" but the mom hears blueberry, ball, spider, up, etc depending on the situation. To me those are not words, just vocalizing practice. I know some kids are especially advanced verbally but I have never met one with 70 or more words at age </= 18 months, at least with words everybody could easily understand. Just my own experience.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:32 PM   #26
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

My DD just turned 17 mos and here is her vocabulary: Hi, gaga (which means daddy), Gapa (grandpa), uh-uh (no), and gogeee (doggy). She has started making a distinct noise for "kitty" - it sounds like "gig gat" ... can you tell all her words seem to start with a G? No clue what is up with that, LOL!

She JUST started saying these words, like, last week. I've been concerned about her for a while b/c my other two were early talkers.

I said something to her ped, who tends to be very laid back and he said it's fine b/c the older siblings sometimes talk for the baby and so the baby just doesn't have to figure it out. He said he doesn't really worry much unless there are NO words by 18-24 mos.

I started letting her watch the Baby Einsteins "My First Signs" and it's helped, I think. She can sign "more" "baby" "eat" and "play". She doesn't use them often, but I think just her seeing the video and making the connection of babies communicating with adults has helped her a little.

I swear kids have their own language.... my kids swear she is talking sometimes when I don't hear anything but babble... LOL

Try not to worry mama.

Last edited by Kiliki; 08-28-2012 at 07:33 PM.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:56 PM   #27
nicolemariep
Registered Users
seller

DS1 easily said over 100 words at 18 months. DS2 is severely speech delayed, and at 22 months is only saying 2 words. I read to them both. In fact, DS2 probably gets read to more than DS1 did. (DS2 is also in speech therapy.)

It sounds to me like your kiddo is in the average range, but if you are concerned a speech evaluation can be very helpful in either easing your worries or getting help, whatever the case may be.

I've decided that I am going to start drop-kicking people who have a holier than thou attitude and act like my sons delays are my fault for bad parenting. My SIL told my MIL that Liam (DS2) was only delayed because I'm a crappy mom. Nice, huh. I suggest you drop-kick your Facebook "friend" and take comfort in the fact that kids are all different, no matter how you parent.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:00 PM   #28
wonton
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Your ds says more than my dd at almost 19mos.
Ive been trying to be more verbal in hopes that it makes her more verbal but it's really hard.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:03 PM   #29
drunkenmonkeysmommy1
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
All kiddos are different. My first had a vocabulary of 3 words that were clearly understood at age three( and one of them was choo choo, so more of a sound effect) at age three.
My second ds at 18 months was saying well over 100 words and having 2 sided conversations. But he did not walk until he was over 15 months old.
It is NOT a sign of bad parenting if your child does not have an expansive vocabulary.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:11 PM   #30
teacherpippi
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My older dd probably said at least 50 words by 18 months- maybe close to 70. My younger dd is 14 mo. She says a handful of words. We'll be lucky to be at 15 at 18 months. Not worried about her yet.
teacherpippi is offline   Reply With Quote