Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-30-2012, 10:29 AM   #1
mamastone
Registered Users

Stripping pocket diapers/front loading washer?

Hello!
I am brand new to this site, and am looking for some sage advice. I am sure there is a thread with this same exact question somewhere, but I can't find it. I am looking for some advice on stripping my pockets. I have all pocket diapers, some are microfleece/minky and some are bamboo/minky. They all have plastic snaps. My inserts are a mix between microfiber inserts and bamboo inserts. Usually to strip my diapers I just do 3 or 4 HOT rinses in my front loading washer and it seems to work pretty well. My DD has just developed a terrible diaper rash, if you can even call it that. She has clear, fluid filled blisters all over her bum. I have called the ped. and the nurse said it will probably clear up on its own, just to make sure she is dry. I am not sure if my diapers are related to the problem or not, but I figure it cant hurt to really strip my diapers well before I put them back on my little one's bum.

Sooo, my question is this: What is the best way to strip pocket diapers really well? I have read that boiling is a good way to strip diapers, but will this work for my pockets or will it ruin them, i.e. the snaps and PUL? If I cannot boil them, what can I do? It is really difficult to "soak" them in my washer, because even though there is a soak option, it only "soaks" for abt 45 minutes, then drains. Plus my washer does not have a "Hot/Hot" temp choice, only "Hot/Cold", "Warm/Warm" or "Warm/Cold". I am not convinved my diaps get enough hot water time.

Suggestions please??

Sorry for the lengthy post, just desperate for help and do not want to ruin my diapers! Lol. Thanks!

Advertisement

mamastone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:35 AM   #2
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Stripping pocket diapers/front loading washer?

I would think that instead of stripping you should probably disinfect them. Stripping is typically for wash issues like buildup of detergent and if they are clean they should not need to be stripped. So if you are looking to prevent reinfection of whatever she has going on I would try bleach, TTO, Hydrogen Peroxide and/or sunning to disinfect them. I will say that the bleach(basic disinfectant) is probably the most thorough and efficient but the other methods can/may work when used together. I would not soak them. Just add it to the dispenser. Boiling is not a good idea for the snaps and PUL but anything is is perfectly fine.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:41 AM   #3
Holly dolly
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Totally agree with pp!

The other thing I have done to strip is put all my pockets in my bathtub with hot water and a bit of blue dawn. Once the water cooled down enough for me to touch it I swished and stomped them...then drained and rinsed in warm water.

I use bleach every load for my diapers and I have never had a problem with PUL or spots (although my unbleached prefolds aren't "unbleached" anymore )

Hope you figure out the issue!!

Wife to Casey Mom to Isaac and Carson Hoping for someone new in 2014
Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
Holly dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:56 AM   #4
mamastone
Registered Users

Thanks for the responses! I sun my diaps everytime I wash, so hopefully that is helping some. If I use bleach in the wash, is it going to ruin the colors/designs of my pockets. I don't have color-safe bleach, but if I get some will it work the same as regular bleach?
Old 08-30-2012, 11:10 AM   #5
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Do u do extra water in ur wash routine? Do u do normal or cotton wash? I do heavy soil. Wet in water b4 washer & it will register higher. I do hot cold & prewash. Mine goes for 1 hr & 45 mins. Do u wash poo out b4 pail? I would put sween on to help. Sween helped us with yeast, sore, red noses & dry skin & light burns too.
abunchoflemons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:24 AM   #6
mamastone
Registered Users

I spray out poopy diaps before they go into the pail. I do a hot/cold rinse, followed by a heavy wash, which has an extra pre-rinse and extra post-rinse. I wash on warm/warm. I have never heard of Sween before! Where is it available? I looked up the ingredients, looks great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abunchoflemons View Post
Do u do extra water in ur wash routine? Do u do normal or cotton wash? I do heavy soil. Wet in water b4 washer & it will register higher. I do hot cold & prewash. Mine goes for 1 hr & 45 mins. Do u wash poo out b4 pail? I would put sween on to help. Sween helped us with yeast, sore, red noses & dry skin & light burns too.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:31 AM   #7
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

It needs to be the basic bleach not color-safe. I believe that bleach doesn't do anything to synthetics in terms of leaving spots or something so pockets and covers are fine. I will say that I have used it on everything, including cotton prints, pockets, AIO, prefolds etc. on a regular basis and have never had a single problem as far as spots. Over time the unbleached prefolds and flats have gotten lighter but not pure white either and this is after a couple years.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:43 AM   #8
mamastone
Registered Users

Thank you SO much for your help! I will definitely try this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonipie View Post
It needs to be the basic bleach not color-safe. I believe that bleach doesn't do anything to synthetics in terms of leaving spots or something so pockets and covers are fine. I will say that I have used it on everything, including cotton prints, pockets, AIO, prefolds etc. on a regular basis and have never had a single problem as far as spots. Over time the unbleached prefolds and flats have gotten lighter but not pure white either and this is after a couple years.