Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-02-2012, 09:38 PM   #1
LaniMommy187
Registered Users

My Mood:
Why do some hold there value and others not so much?

Hi there I have been using cloth for about a year, and have bought about 75% + of my stash used. And have a great variety of different diapers. I have noticed that for the most part I can get a used diaper for about half of what it retails for new. I find this to be fair and pretty understandable. But lately I have noticed that some of the diapers that I have wanted to get used lately I can buy them brand new for less than $5 more.

So I'm wondering if I'm the only person who refuses to buy it used when the price diference is so small?

I'm also wondering what is the deal with the price retntion of say tot's bots? I can get those brand new for $23 but the average used price that I have seen so far is about $17 without postage. So I know I'm missing something. Please someone clue me in.

Advertisement

LaniMommy187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:03 PM   #2
RockinLou
Registered Users
seller

Re: Why do some hold there value and others not so much?

well, Tot Bots are having supply issues, and it's tough to even get them new (for most of the summer they were completely out of stock everywhere in north america!)

otherwise, you are not alone, I typically don't buy used for more than 60-70% of the new price. The exception would be if I'm looking to try a size in something (I bought Sandys and Blueberry basix used before buying new) or if I am looking for a print that isn't available anymore (like the Basix in messy hands!) but when selling, the closer I am to 1/2 of retail, the faster they sell, and sometimes it's more about cash in hand sooner than later, unfortunately, so I try to sell at 1/2 of retail plus shipping when I want things to move! To pay more than that, and sacrifice warranty protection is silly, IMHO, so I don't expect others to do it when they are buying from me
RockinLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:11 PM   #3
ktsue08
Registered Users
seller

I've been wondering the same thing!!! Lol
ktsue08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:23 PM   #4
LaniMommy187
Registered Users

My Mood:

Well I used the tots bots as that was what I am curently looking for (I want the older bamboo ones not the new ones LOL I turly love bamboo and hemp LOL) LOL. I guess another good example would be itti bitti (esp. the prints LOL) and say Alva's. The Alvas I mention becouse anyone can buy them new for the same price as used wich is odd to me. Itti Bitti I ocasionaly find for a great price but it's more rare than common.

Oh and I do know about the tots bots stocking isues I just got my London (first tots bots ever DD has it on now and I want more BAD! LOL! The fit is amazing!) and I was waiting for them to stock for about 2 months? I was on the "call when you get in X" list They called Wednesday I had the diaper in my hands Saterday (the store is about 60 miles away shipping is crazy fast LOL )
LaniMommy187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:08 AM   #5
mrspopo
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yes, the supply issues caused Tots bots to sell fast used. I got a 3 little pigs & london several weeks ago and really didn't care for the snaps so I wanted to sell them. I listed them for $40 for the pair ppd and they sold in minutes.

Alvas tend to sell well used because people don't want to deal with the slow shipping time from china, the hassles with using a co-op, and wanting to avoid the complicated Chinese website. They also are super cheap to begin with, so there's not much you can knock off the price to make it worth it.

Prefolds are probably the other exception - people like used ones because they are already prepped.

I would rather just pay a couple bucks more to get something new, plus the money counts towards reward points usually. I've sold some gdiapers on ebay, and I'm baffled that people are bidding the price up to next to retail! Why????
mrspopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:49 AM   #6
missgen83
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I'd take $5 off an eeeeuc diaper any day!! After buying 4 of those diapers for $5 less than retail you are basically getting one free!!
missgen83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:11 AM   #7
amiecheatham
Registered Users
seller

I use all goodmamas and they hold their value extremely well. We started with pockets and when I sold them I was lucky to get half of my money back. I really probably got less than half back. My daughter is PLing right now and I'm almost through selling off her GMs and have probably gotten closer to 75% back. Some diapers are just like that I guess.
amiecheatham is offline   Reply With Quote