Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-28-2012, 07:30 PM   #1
momofdestructobaby
Registered Users
seller

Question about your child's classrooms.....

In your child's classroom (at a school), do they use desks, or tables, to sit at? I have seen some classrooms with the typical student desks that you can store supplies inside of, and other classrooms with tables without a shelf or storage space.

For those whose child uses a table without storage in it, where do they store their supplies....like pencil boxes, notebooks etc?

Weird question, I know. Sorry.

Advertisement

momofdestructobaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:40 PM   #2
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:
Re: Question about your child's classrooms.....

I work in an elementary school doing kindergarten. We have tables. There are pockets on the back of the chairs that hold the pencil pouches, folders, etc. In some classes the teachers store the folders/workbooks for each subject in bins/cubbies.
Terra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:44 PM   #3
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The pre-k room I worked in kept all supplies in a cubby. Community supplies usually kept in a basket or shower caddy thing and individual supplies that were in pencil boxes were kept in a cubby by the tables.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:01 PM   #4
misskira
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

My Mood:

I worked at a k-5 school. We had a new school built and when they ordered new furniture the kindly classes got tables that seated 6, the 1st grade got 2 sweater desks and 2-5 got individual desks. They stored their things in a cubby over their coat. I think it's developmentally appropriate from what I saw.
misskira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:02 PM   #5
smashncakes
Registered Users
Formerly: bren***this
seller
seller

My Mood:

DS is in 1st grade, they have desks this year and had them last year too...they had/have these little fabric pouches that go over the seatback of their chair that can hold their folders, pencil box, etc. DD is in pre-k and they use tables, some supplies are kept in cubbies (markers mostly lol), others are kept on the same type of pouches on their chairs.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:02 PM   #6
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DD's school has desks for kindy, but each kid also has a cubby. DS's developmental preschool has tables and cubbies for their individual supplies.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:11 PM   #7
momofdestructobaby
Registered Users
seller

I teach 3rd grade. Last year I had a horrible battle with kids whose desks were just FULL of garbage. Spoiled food, scrap paper, pencil shavings, wrappers etc. It was so frustrating. The 2nd grade teacher next to me is talking about turning the desks backward so the kids can't access the inside at all and treating them like tables (pushed together in groups). I think its a fine idea....but I'm unsure as to where all the supplies will be stored? I don't really have shelf space in the room to store a basket or bin for each kid.
momofdestructobaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:11 PM   #8
flintgirl
Registered Users

My Mood:
Emma's room has tables with supplies on them. It is a shelf with pencil holders and a shelf for papers. They also have cubbies in the room to store their personal things. They start to use desks in 2nd grade. Her school is brand new, just built last year so they have tons of room in each class for storage.

Last edited by flintgirl; 08-28-2012 at 08:13 PM.
flintgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:19 PM   #9
misskira
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofdestructobaby View Post
I teach 3rd grade. Last year I had a horrible battle with kids whose desks were just FULL of garbage. Spoiled food, scrap paper, pencil shavings, wrappers etc. It was so frustrating. The 2nd grade teacher next to me is talking about turning the desks backward so the kids can't access the inside at all and treating them like tables (pushed together in groups). I think its a fine idea....but I'm unsure as to where all the supplies will be stored? I don't really have shelf space in the room to store a basket or bin for each kid.
Our 2nd grade teachers have desk fairies that come periodically to reward kids for clean desks. They will come in from recess or a special or first thing in the am to something small on their desk if the desk was clean. An eraser, piece of candy, get out of work free ticket, etc. the 3rd grade teachers take an opposite approach and have desk check Fridays. Kids with a messy desk miss the afternoon recess and stay in to clean. The teachers take turns being the one to stay in and supervise since the 3 classes are in the same pod with clear visuality between them (lots of windows).

I will admit, I was always one with a messy desk as a kid, and same now. I'm chronically disorganized.
misskira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:31 PM   #10
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Mrs_Brady
seller
seller

For my kinder class we have flower top tables, and shower caddy things in the middle of the table.