Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-28-2012, 09:41 PM   #11
teachermama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
In my classroom the tables have communal supplies (pencils, scissors, crayons) in caddies on top. Since our textbooks are consumables, the students would not have them in their desks. Instead those get stored in back and we have them out in the parent work area when parents come to help rip and sort pages. That way we only pass out the page we are working on when it's time. It would be tricky in 3rd grade to not have desk storage because you probably wouldn't want to deal with passing out textbooks all the time. What about those cardboard magazine holders?? Our old school used them for Daily 5/balanced literacy as book boxes for the kids. You could store textbooks and a small pencil pouch in those and they could sit on the student desks. Our 5th grade teacher did that. They also acted as a nice barrier against kids copying each other. You can get them SUPER cheap at IKEA....if you have one nearby. I'm on my phone so I can't see siggys.

Advertisement

(O)….2, & Someone NEW….arriving May 2014!

Kindergarten Teaching Extraordinaire
teachermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:11 AM   #12
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Question about your child's classrooms.....

for Dd1 in K they were at tables and in 1st and now 2nd they had desks. In K their supplies were in cubbies. In 1st, everything was in their desks. In 2nd they have a few things in their desks but they have cubbies for a lot of their stuff too.
Rhianna'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:30 AM   #13
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

K-2 sits at tables and they have community supplies in a bin on the middle of the desks.

Oldest dd is in 3rd grade this year and she has a desk where she keeps all of her supplies in it. First year for noncommunal supplies.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:00 AM   #14
keonli
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

In nursery school they sat at little tables with little chairs and each student had their own cubby that we would empty out at the end of each day. The classes were small so the teacher would hand out supplies. He started kindergarten and they have small desks with a little storage space underneath so each child can get their own supplies. He went from a class of like 7 to over 20 and it took some adjusting.
keonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:06 AM   #15
L J
Gazelle Intense
seller
seller

Henry is in kindergarten. They sit at tables. There is a caddy in the middle with pencils and crayons. They have a tote bag they take to school every day (no backpacks allowed) and they keep it on the back of their chair with their notebook and snack in it. Lunch boxes (if they take them) and gym shoes go in their cubbies.
L J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:13 AM   #16
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

In preschool and kindy (and maybe 1st-can't remember), they sit at tables. Bags are hung on the rail outside the door or put into lockers outside the door for kindy. Snacks go in a bin. Lunches go in a bin. Folders go in a bin. All supplies are community and are put in bins in the center of the table. The teachers put the supplies out as needed.

Once they get to 2nd grade, they get their own desk. For the most part, the younger grades don't have notebooks, binders, or individual textbooks/workbooks. The ones they do have, go in a special bin with everyone else's.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:12 AM   #17
cristy_1996
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My 1st grader has tables and a container in the middle of the table for shared supplies.

http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/CristyGriffith
cristy_1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:45 AM   #18
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

Tables in kindy & 1st grade, desks in 2nd grade and up.

The kindy & first graders have cubbies and baskets at their tables for belongings.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:28 PM   #19
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra View Post
I work in an elementary school doing kindergarten. We have tables. There are pockets on the back of the chairs that hold the pencil pouches, folders, etc. In some classes the teachers store the folders/workbooks for each subject in bins/cubbies.
DS1 is in Kindergarden this year and this is what they have.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:32 PM   #20
foodie.yarnie.mommie.
Registered Users
Formerly: dimibella
seller

My Mood:

at our school in K it's tables with a caddy in the middle, supplies are not communal they have dividers for each kiddo. In 1st-6th they have desk and part of one of their grades is to keep their desk neat and organized, but we go to private school so I don't know if they are allowed to do that in public schools.