Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-29-2012, 12:42 PM   #21
smashncakes
Registered Users
Formerly: bren***this
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Question about your child's classrooms.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofdestructobaby View Post
I teach 3rd grade. Last year I had a horrible battle with kids whose desks were just FULL of garbage. Spoiled food, scrap paper, pencil shavings, wrappers etc. It was so frustrating. The 2nd grade teacher next to me is talking about turning the desks backward so the kids can't access the inside at all and treating them like tables (pushed together in groups). I think its a fine idea....but I'm unsure as to where all the supplies will be stored? I don't really have shelf space in the room to store a basket or bin for each kid.
DS's kindergarten teacher last year had all of hers turned backwards and pushed together to make tables...they had something like this on the back of each chair.

Advertisement

Last edited by smashncakes; 08-29-2012 at 12:45 PM.
smashncakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:17 PM   #22
momofdestructobaby
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachermama View Post
In my classroom the tables have communal supplies (pencils, scissors, crayons) in caddies on top. Since our textbooks are consumables, the students would not have them in their desks. Instead those get stored in back and we have them out in the parent work area when parents come to help rip and sort pages. That way we only pass out the page we are working on when it's time. It would be tricky in 3rd grade to not have desk storage because you probably wouldn't want to deal with passing out textbooks all the time. What about those cardboard magazine holders?? Our old school used them for Daily 5/balanced literacy as book boxes for the kids. You could store textbooks and a small pencil pouch in those and they could sit on the student desks. Our 5th grade teacher did that. They also acted as a nice barrier against kids copying each other. You can get them SUPER cheap at IKEA....if you have one nearby. I'm on my phone so I can't see siggys.
Thanks.

I have the plastic magazine bins and will use them for the "just right" books and Daily 5 materials.

I am thinking about doing the caddy's on the tables with communal supplies and designating one "supply manager" at each table to keep them organized.

I am still thinking that they will need to access the insides of the desks to store their pencil boxes maybe?

I am still undecided. LOL
momofdestructobaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:18 PM   #23
momofdestructobaby
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashncakes View Post
DS's kindergarten teacher last year had all of hers turned backwards and pushed together to make tables...they had something like this on the back of each chair.
I love those seat pockets but sadly, cannot afford them this year. They are about $9/each and I have 20 students.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:28 PM   #24
debmom2boyz
Registered Users
Formerly: n***_n_b**
seller
seller

My Mood:

May I ask why?

My students have desks. I use to have tables when I taught third. I ad dishpas that fit inder their chairs. I then had a caddy tat held their supples. I miss tables.

This year we have pencil boxes that hold materials. In the setting where I reach, many dont know how to share, thus te community supplies.
debmom2boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:44 PM   #25
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

First few yrs were tables & all stuff mainly communal now places with storage/ desks.
abunchoflemons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:48 PM   #26
VinhThiMom
Vinh Thi Designs
Formerly: chrisnsteph1022
seller
seller

My Mood:

DD's Kindy class is just tables/chairs. I'm not sure where they put their stuff. DS's 1st grade class has traditional desks, plus the fabric pouch on the back of the chair.

VinhThiMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:13 PM   #27
momofdestructobaby
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by debmom2boyz View Post
May I ask why?

My students have desks. I use to have tables when I taught third. I ad dishpas that fit inder their chairs. I then had a caddy tat held their supples. I miss tables.

This year we have pencil boxes that hold materials. In the setting where I reach, many dont know how to share, thus te community supplies.
The reason I am thinking about a table set up vs traditional desks is that last year sooooo many kids kept garbage (actual garbage) and other things that didn't belong, in the desks. This year I have 8 of those same kids again + 12 others. I dread spending an hour a week cleaning out the desks again.

Not to mention the French teacher gives a LOT of workpages and colouring pages and the kids just shove them in the desk. With no desks, there is no choice but to take them home

So frustrating.