Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-28-2012, 08:16 PM   #1
My_Tree_Grows
Registered Users
Formerly: em**nti
seller
seller

My Mood:
Hard water, ammonia, detergent help

Mamas who have personally dealt with very hard water, I want your advice. I thought my old house was bad, but it turns out I hadn't seen REALLY hard water until moving here.

I've been using Allen's Naturally as recommended by AMP Diapers, but the ammonia battle has been lost. DS was bleeding from ammonia burns. We've gone basically diaper-free for 5 days, I've stripped with RLR, am crossing my fingers and beginning again.

What laundry soap or detergent should I use to prevent this happening again? We are a scent-free, chemically-reduced household. Cost-effective options are a bonus.

Advertisement

Old 08-28-2012, 08:48 PM   #2
croth7
Registered Users
seller

Re: Hard water, ammonia, detergent help

I'm sorry to hear that your LO has a sore tush. It's no fun for anyone.

I have read that you need something manufactured by the Big Brands. I use Tide F&G and it has no scent but it does have some chemicals but I was not able to make a natural laundry detergent work for us on our diapers. The diapers were just never clean enough.

I will look for the post from the other day that I found. It was laundry chemistry 101.
croth7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:52 PM   #3
croth7
Registered Users
seller

Here's the link to the article

http://wazoodle.com/index.php/diaper...shing-diapers/

And here's the link to the DS thread from yesterday.

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1436569
croth7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:12 PM   #4
Isabellesmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Tide original liquid & it's the only chemical in my whole house(besides bleach for stripping) Ive tries natural mainstream. Cd detergents this that & everything & tide is the only thing that works & surprisingly doesn't irritate DDs suuuper sensitive skin.
Angie Attached crunchy parent,with my soulmate Ian, to our 32 week miracle Isabelle.(02/22/11) and rainbow baby Addison(06/08/2014) BreastfeedingCo-sleeping.Non-vaxing. BWing. Ext rear-facing. CDing. SAHM
Isabellesmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:04 PM   #5
mypeanut09
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We have hard water and I have had good luck with EcoSprouts and RNG Hard Rock. I have also noticed that it helps to put some detergent into your prewash. I usually do about a half tbsp or so in my first rinse cycle and then the wash cycle with 2 tbsp. That helps a lot.

I love Kissed by the Moon & I'd love it if you shopped my affiliate link! Feel free to PM me with any questions!

mypeanut09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:36 AM   #6
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have hard water and basically the only thing that has ever really worked is Tide powder with occasional bleaching. I do use the Free and Gentle version but I know that doesn't work for everyone. Unfortunately with our hard water 1 or 2 tablespoons just did not cut it. Have you tried using more detergent? What do you use on your clothes that gets them clean?

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:22 AM   #7
My_Tree_Grows
Registered Users
Formerly: em**nti
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the feedback, all. It's likely that I'm not using enough detergent for our water hardness level, since I didn't alter my routine from the old house. We've always had a TL, and I use the AMP diaper manufacturer's recommended amount of 1/4 oz.

I won't use Tide, because I vividly recollect the one time my mother bought it when it was on sale and both my brothers had horrible rashes all over. Plus, doesn't it contain SLS? I won't use bleach because of the respiratory problems and skin/eye irritation it can (/was designed) to cause.

I use the same detergent on our clothes, or occasionally NatureClean, and I wash them in cold rather than hot. I suspect the detergent itself may also need to be changed because I've noticed lingering stains on DS' organic cotton tees since we moved.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:56 AM   #8
carlamitchell
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Purex Hypoallergenic Free & Clear has been the only thing to tackle ammonia with our hard water. I was having to strip every few washings, even boiling them once to strip, and it still came back. Since i switched, we've not had one single stink or rash. I was really reluctant to switch but sometimes, we just need to compromise - hey, a bottle of detergent every few months is better than a case of disposables once a week, no?!
carlamitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:17 AM   #9
Kabuki24
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlamitchell View Post
Purex Hypoallergenic Free & Clear has been the only thing to tackle ammonia with our hard water. I was having to strip every few washings, even boiling them once to strip, and it still came back. Since i switched, we've not had one single stink or rash. I was really reluctant to switch but sometimes, we just need to compromise - hey, a bottle of detergent every few months is better than a case of disposables once a week, no?!
Exactly!
Old 08-29-2012, 12:59 PM   #10
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

You don't have to use Tide, just try something other than what you are using. As far as bleach lots of mamas on here have never had a problem with it. To me using whatever cleans and disinfects your diapers was the better option to switching to disposables or having my children have bleeding rashes.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote